Page 64 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
  1.    08 Aug 2017 #631
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,879
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    It's only a close approximation. Relativity mucks everything up. Even mass.
    I forgot to mention you need to be travelling at less than 0.01 x speed of light to minimise relativity effects.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Aug 2017 #632
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,879
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    You need to upgrade to .1 version first. When done and back on desktop, open Registry Editor and double click string ContentType in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability to open it for edit.

    Type new value Skip, do not save yet (do not click OK or hit Enter). Open Settings app > Insider settings, switch to Skip ahead, immediately switch to registry editor and click OK to save that new value Skip to string ContentType, restart immediately leaving registry editor and Settings open.

    When restarted, registry editor opens automatically because it was left open when restarted. Just close it. Check the Insider settings, you should now be in Skip ahead, WU start downloading .1000 version.
    Worked first time - many thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Aug 2017 #633
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,951
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Many thanks - I have to say I am always amazed how people come up with these workarounds!
    @Martin as so often kudos needs to go where kudos belongs: I just made tiny changes to these instructions posted by @tracit99.

    Another thing where the idea came from a fellow member, some time ago I read a post by @Superfly where he presented a work in progress, a PowerShell script to update W10 install media. Can't find that post now.

    Anyway, as the Media Feature Pack is just a normal .msu update package, you could use the following script I made to add cumulative updates downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog to your W10 install media, to keep it up to date so that you don't have to spend first hour after clean install to bring a XXXXX.0 build to XXXXX.789 or whatever.

    Just save the script with .ps1 extension, open elevated PowerShell, set PS execution policy to unrestricted:

    Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser

    ... and run the script following on-screen instructions to make a PRO N install media which already contains Media Feature Pack. Much easier than capturing updated install.wim. Script updates your USB or ISO.

    The script:

    Code:
    ########################################################## 
    # 
    # W10ImageUpdate.ps1 - A PS Script to update Windows image
    # 
    # You are free to use, edit & share this script as long as
    # source TenForums.com is mentioned.
    #
    # Kari The Finn 19-JUL-2017
    # - TenForums.com/members/kari.html
    # - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn
    # - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn
    #
    ##########################################################
       
    ##########################################################
    # Show short instructions to user
    ##########################################################   
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                       
    Write-Host ' This script will update Windows 10 install media with updates '
    Write-Host ' downloaded from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Please notice that the process will take quite some time, depending'
    Write-Host ' on amount and size of updates being applied to Windows image. '
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Mount (double click) a Windows 10 ISO image and copy its content'
    Write-Host ' to a folder on local PC, for instance "F:\MyISOFiles". Make sure the'
    Write-Host ' folder has no other content than copied Windows install files.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Alternatively, if you already have a bootable Windows 10 install'
    Write-Host ' USB flash drive just plug it in. In this case you do not have to'
    Write-Host ' copy anything to hard disk.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' When ISO files have been copied to a hard disk folder, or USB drive'
    Write-Host ' has been plugged in, press Enter to start.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Notice that you cannot use this script to update an ESD based install'
    Write-Host ' media like for instance ISO / USB made with Media Creation Tool.'
    Write-Host
    pause
        
    ##########################################################
    # Create a temporary working folder C:\TempMount, delete
    # old one first if folder with such name already exists
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    $Mount = 'C:\TempMount\'
    if (Test-Path $Mount) {Remove-Item $Mount}
    $Mount = New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $Mount
    
    ##########################################################
    # Delete possible old log files from previous runs
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUSuccess.log) {Remove-Item C:\WUSuccess.log}
    if (Test-Path C:\WUFail.log) {Remove-Item C:\WUFail.log}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Prompt user for path to folder containing installation 
    # files, either a Windows install USB drive or folder user
    # copied installation files to from mounted ISO image.
    #
    # Using 'while' loop to check that source given by user 
    # contains a Windows image, if not user is asked to chek
    # path and try again
    ##########################################################
    
    $WimCount = 0
    while ($WimCount -eq 0) {
    cls
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Enter source path. In case you are using a plugged in USB flash'
    Write-Host ' drive, simply enter drive letter + colon for that drive.'
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' If the source you are using is a Windows 10 ISO or DVD, enter.'
    Write-Host ' path to folder where you copied ISO / DVD content.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Notice please: If your source contains both 32 (x86) and 64 (x64)'
    Write-Host ' bit versions, add \x86 or \x64 to source depending on which'
    Write-Host ' bit version you want to update.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Examples:'
    Write-Host ' - A USB drive, enter its drive letter + : (D: or d:)'
    Write-Host ' - A USB drive with both bit versions, enter D:\x86 or D:\x64'
    Write-Host ' - ISO files copied to folder, enter path (F:\MyISOFiles)'
    Write-Host ' - Dual bit version ISO copied to folder, enter path with bit version'
    Write-Host '   (W:\ISOFolder\x86 or W:\ISOFolder\x64)' 
    Write-Host
    
    $ISOFolder = Read-Host -Prompt ' Enter source, press Enter'
    $WimFolder = $ISOFolder
    
        if (Test-Path $WimFolder\Sources\install.wim)
            {
            $WimCount = 1
                if (($WIMFolder -match "x86") -or ($WIMFolder -match "x64"))
                {
                $ISOFolder = $ISOFolder -replace "....$" 
                }
            }
        else
            {
            $WimCount = 0
            cls
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' No Windows image (install.wim file) found'
            Write-Host ' Please check path and try again.'
            Write-Host
            Pause
            }
        }
    
    $WimFile = Join-Path $WimFolder '\Sources\install.wim'
    
    ##########################################################
    # List Windows editions on image, prompt user for
    # edition to be be updated
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath $WimFile | Format-Table ImageIndex, ImageName
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' The install.wim file contains above listed Windows editions.'
    Write-Host ' Which edition should be updated?'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Enter the ImageIndex number of correct edition and press Enter.'
    Write-Host ' If this is a single edition Windows image, enter ImageIndex 1.'                                                                     
    Write-Host
    $Index = Read-Host -Prompt ' Select edition (ImageIndex)'
            
    
    ##########################################################
    # Prompt user for folder containing downloaded WU files
    # (*.cab and / or *.msu). Again, a 'while' loop is used to
    # check folder contains Windows Update files, if not user
    # is asked to check path and try again
    ##########################################################
    
    $FileCount = 0
    while ($FileCount -eq 0) {
    cls
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '  Enter path to folder containing downloaded Windows Update'
    Write-Host '  *.cab and / or *.msu files.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '  Be sure to enter correct path / folder!'
    Write-Host                                                                       
    
    $WUFolder = Read-Host -Prompt ' Path to folder containing downloaded Windows Update files'
    
    $FileCount = (Get-ChildItem $WUFolder\* -Include *.msu,*.cab).Count
        if ($FileCount -eq 0)
            {
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' No Windows Update files found in given folder.' 
            Write-Host ' Check the path and try again.'
            Write-Host
            pause
            }
        }
    
    $WUFiles = Get-ChildItem -Path "$WUFolder" -Recurse -Include *.cab, *.msu | Sort LastWriteTime 
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Found following' $FileCount 'Windows Update files:'
    Write-Host
    ForEach ($File in $WUFiles)
        {Write-Host ' '$File}
    Write-Host
    pause    
    
    
    ##########################################################
    # Mount Windows image in temporary mount folder.
    #
    # Adding eight empty lines to $EmptySpace variable to be
    # used as placeholder to push output below PowerShell
    # progressbar which is shown on top. Five empty lines would
    # be enough for PowerShell ISE but standard PowerShell will
    # need eight lines, otherwise output remains hidden
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    $EmptySpace = @"
    
    
    
      
     
    
    
    
    "@
    
    Write-Host $EmptySpace
    Write-Host ' Mounting Windows image. This will take a few minutes.'
    Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath $WimFolder\Sources\install.wim -Index $Index -Path $Mount | Out-Null
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Image mounted, applying updates.'
    Write-Host
    
    ##########################################################
    # Write updates one by one to Windows image. If OK, add
    # update name including KB number to 'WUSuccess.log' file,
    # if failed add to 'WUFail.log'
    ##########################################################
    
    ForEach ($File in $WUFiles)
        {
        Write-Host ' Applying'$File
        Add-WindowsPackage -Path $Mount -PackagePath $File.FullName | Out-Null
        if ($? -eq $TRUE)
            {$File.Name | Out-File -FilePath C:\WUSuccess.log -Append}
         else     
            {$File.Name | Out-File -FilePath C:\WUFail.log -Append}
        }
    
    ##########################################################
    # Dismount Windows image saving updated install.wim. Using
    # $EmptySpace variable again to push output from under
    # PowerShell progressbar to visible area under it
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    Write-Host $EmptySpace
    Write-Host ' Dismounting Windows image, saving updated install.wim.'
    Write-Host ' This will take a minute or two.'
    Dismount-WindowsImage -Path $Mount -Save | Out-Null
    cls
    
    ##########################################################
    # Show updates added to Windows image
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUSuccess.log)
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' Following updates successfully added to Windows image: '
        Write-Host
        $LogContent = Get-Content 'C:\WUSuccess.log'
        foreach ($Line in $LogContent)
            {Write-Host ' - '$Line}
        } 
        else
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' All updates failed, nothing added to Windows image.'
        Write-Host
        pause
        exit
        }
    
    ##########################################################
    # Show failed updates
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUFail.log)
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' Following updates could not be added to Windows image: '
        $LogContent = Get-Content 'C:\WUfail.log'
        foreach ($Line in $LogContent)
            {Write-Host ' - '$Line}
        } 
        else
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' No failed updates.'}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Delete temporary mount folder
    ##########################################################
    
    Remove-Item $Mount
    
    ##########################################################
    # Ask if user wants to create a bootable Windows USB 
    # install media now, if not end the script
    ##########################################################
    
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Windows image (install.wim) has been updated.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' If your source was a bootable USB drive, we are ready. It now'
    Write-Host ' contains the updated install.wim file.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' If you started this script by copying Windows install files'
    Write-Host ' from an ISO or DVD to hard disk, you can create a bootable'
    Write-Host ' Windows install USB drive now to be used for installing Windows'
    Write-Host ' on UEFI / GPT computers.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '    1. Quit'
    Write-Host '    2. Create USB'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host 
    $USB = Read-Host -Prompt ' Please enter your selection (1 or 2) and press Enter'
                                                                           
        if ($USB -eq '1')
            {
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' The folder where you copied files from ISO now contains'
            Write-Host ' updated Windows image. You can now create a new ISO '
            Write-Host ' using the folder as source. See Part Five in this tutorial'
            Write-Host ' on TenForums to see how to do that: http://bit.ly/customiso' 
            Write-Host 
            Write-Host ' More Windows 10 tips, tricks, videos & tutorials at'
            Write-Host ' https://www.tenforums.com'
            Write-Host 
            Write-Host ' Kari "The Finn"'
            Write-Host ' - TenForums.com/members/kari.html'
            Write-Host ' - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn'
            Write-Host ' - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn'
            exit
            }
         else     
            {cls}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Creating a bootable USB drive for installing Windows
    # on UEFI / GPT systems
    ##########################################################
    
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Plug in a USB drive, recommended size 6 GB or more,'
    Write-Host ' partitioning system is irrelevant (MBR or GPT).'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Notice: Remove all other USB flash drives'
    Write-Host ' leaving only the one to be used connected.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' If more than 1 USB flash drives are connected'
    Write-Host ' this process will fail.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' External USB hard disks may remain connected,'
    Write-Host ' just remove all additional USB flash drives.'
    Write-Host
    
    pause
    cls
    
    Write-Host
    Get-Disk | Format-Table Number, Friendlyname, HealthStatus, Size, PartitionStyle
    Write-Host
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Above is a list of all your connected disks.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Enter the Disk Number (left  column) for USB'
    Write-Host ' drive to be made as bootable Windows install'
    Write-Host ' media.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Be careful!'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Selected disk will be wiped clean and formatted.'
    Write-Host ' Selecting wrong disk, you will lose any data on it.'
    Write-Host ' If you are unsure, press CTRL + C to abort this script.'
    Write-Host 
     
    $USBNUMBER = Read-Host -Prompt ' Enter your selection, and press Enter'
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Are you sure?'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Selected disk will be completely wiped and formatted!'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Please type YES (not case sensitive) and press Enter'
    Write-Host ' to confirm, any other key or string + Enter to exit.'
    Write-Host
     
    $AreYouSure = Read-Host -Prompt ' Type YES and press Enter to confirm'
    
        if ($AreYouSure -ne 'YES')
            {exit}
         else     
            {cls}
    
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Wiping USB flash drive clean & formatting it'
    
    Clear-Disk -Number $USBNUMBER -RemoveData
    New-Partition -DiskNumber $USBNUMBER -UseMaximumSize -AssignDriveLetter 
    
    $USBDrive = Get-WmiObject Win32_Volume -Filter "DriveType='2'"
    $USBDrive = $USBDrive.DriveLetter
    
    Format-Volume -NewFileSystemLabel "W10 USB" -FileSystem FAT32 -DriveLetter $USBDrive.Trim(":", " ")
    
    $USBDrive = ($USBDrive + '\')
    
    cls
    
    $Files = Get-ChildItem -Path $ISOFolder -Recurse
    $FileCount = $Files.count
    $i=0
    Foreach ($File in $Files) {
        $i++
        Write-Progress -activity "Copying files to USB. Get a cup of java or shot of single malt, this will take a few minutes..." -status "$File ($i of $FileCount)" -percentcomplete (($i/$FileCount)*100)
        if ($File.psiscontainer) {$SourcefileContainer = $File.parent} else {$SourcefileContainer = $File.directory}
        $RelativePath = $SourcefileContainer.fullname.SubString($ISOFolder.length)
        Copy-Item $File.fullname ($USBDrive + $RelativePath) 
    }
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Bootable Windows 10 install USB drive for UEFI / GPT'
    Write-Host ' computers created.'
    Write-Host   
    Write-Host ' More Windows 10 tips, tricks, videos & tutorials at'
    Write-Host ' https://www.tenforums.com'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Kari "The Finn"'
    Write-Host ' - TenForums.com/members/kari.html'
    Write-Host ' - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn'
    Write-Host ' - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Aug 2017 #634
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,826
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    I forgot to mention you need to be travelling at less than 0.01 x speed of light to minimise relativity effects.
    Better, but can you guarantee that any other observers are also doing the same? Their experiences may vary.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    08 Aug 2017 #635
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Felton, Delaware
    Posts : 94
    Windows 10 Duel booting with Windows 10 Insider

    Anybody else notice that when using Microsoft Edge you can no longer use the space bar to scroll web pages. This function appears to have been dropped several builds ago but not sure which one was the culprit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Aug 2017 #636
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,736
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Better, but can you guarantee that any other observers are also doing the same? Their experiences may vary.
    Good answer to narrow it down yet again. Let's narrow it down to the lowest common denominator > There are no absolutes. One can come close, but not absolute.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    08 Aug 2017 #637
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,879
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Better, but can you guarantee that any other observers are also doing the same? Their experiences may vary.
    I let my cat worry about that - never quite sure if he is dead or alive in that box of his though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Aug 2017 #638
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,879
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    @Martin as so often kudos needs to go where kudos belongs: I just made tiny changes to these instructions posted by @tracit99.

    Another thing where the idea came from a fellow member, some time ago I read a post by @Superfly where he presented a work in progress, a PowerShell script to update W10 install media. Can't find that post now.

    Anyway, as the Media Feature Pack is just a normal .msu update package, you could use the following script I made to add cumulative updates downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog to your W10 install media, to keep it up to date so that you don't have to spend first hour after clean install to bring a XXXXX.0 build to XXXXX.789 or whatever.

    Just save the script with .ps1 extension, open elevated PowerShell, set PS execution policy to unrestricted:

    Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser

    ... and run the script following on-screen instructions to make a PRO N install media which already contains Media Feature Pack. Much easier than capturing updated install.wim. Script updates your USB or ISO.

    The script:

    Code:
    ########################################################## 
    # 
    # W10ImageUpdate.ps1 - A PS Script to update Windows image
    # 
    # You are free to use, edit & share this script as long as
    # source TenForums.com is mentioned.
    #
    # Kari The Finn 19-JUL-2017
    # - TenForums.com/members/kari.html
    # - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn
    # - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn
    #
    ##########################################################
       
    ##########################################################
    # Show short instructions to user
    ##########################################################   
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                       
    Write-Host ' This script will update Windows 10 install media with updates '
    Write-Host ' downloaded from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Please notice that the process will take quite some time, depending'
    Write-Host ' on amount and size of updates being applied to Windows image. '
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Mount (double click) a Windows 10 ISO image and copy its content'
    Write-Host ' to a folder on local PC, for instance "F:\MyISOFiles". Make sure the'
    Write-Host ' folder has no other content than copied Windows install files.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Alternatively, if you already have a bootable Windows 10 install'
    Write-Host ' USB flash drive just plug it in. In this case you do not have to'
    Write-Host ' copy anything to hard disk.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' When ISO files have been copied to a hard disk folder, or USB drive'
    Write-Host ' has been plugged in, press Enter to start.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Notice that you cannot use this script to update an ESD based install'
    Write-Host ' media like for instance ISO / USB made with Media Creation Tool.'
    Write-Host
    pause
        
    ##########################################################
    # Create a temporary working folder C:\TempMount, delete
    # old one first if folder with such name already exists
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    $Mount = 'C:\TempMount\'
    if (Test-Path $Mount) {Remove-Item $Mount}
    $Mount = New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $Mount
    
    ##########################################################
    # Delete possible old log files from previous runs
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUSuccess.log) {Remove-Item C:\WUSuccess.log}
    if (Test-Path C:\WUFail.log) {Remove-Item C:\WUFail.log}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Prompt user for path to folder containing installation 
    # files, either a Windows install USB drive or folder user
    # copied installation files to from mounted ISO image.
    #
    # Using 'while' loop to check that source given by user 
    # contains a Windows image, if not user is asked to chek
    # path and try again
    ##########################################################
    
    $WimCount = 0
    while ($WimCount -eq 0) {
    cls
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Enter source path. In case you are using a plugged in USB flash'
    Write-Host ' drive, simply enter drive letter + colon for that drive.'
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' If the source you are using is a Windows 10 ISO or DVD, enter.'
    Write-Host ' path to folder where you copied ISO / DVD content.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Notice please: If your source contains both 32 (x86) and 64 (x64)'
    Write-Host ' bit versions, add \x86 or \x64 to source depending on which'
    Write-Host ' bit version you want to update.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Examples:'
    Write-Host ' - A USB drive, enter its drive letter + : (D: or d:)'
    Write-Host ' - A USB drive with both bit versions, enter D:\x86 or D:\x64'
    Write-Host ' - ISO files copied to folder, enter path (F:\MyISOFiles)'
    Write-Host ' - Dual bit version ISO copied to folder, enter path with bit version'
    Write-Host '   (W:\ISOFolder\x86 or W:\ISOFolder\x64)' 
    Write-Host
    
    $ISOFolder = Read-Host -Prompt ' Enter source, press Enter'
    $WimFolder = $ISOFolder
    
        if (Test-Path $WimFolder\Sources\install.wim)
            {
            $WimCount = 1
                if (($WIMFolder -match "x86") -or ($WIMFolder -match "x64"))
                {
                $ISOFolder = $ISOFolder -replace "....$" 
                }
            }
        else
            {
            $WimCount = 0
            cls
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' No Windows image (install.wim file) found'
            Write-Host ' Please check path and try again.'
            Write-Host
            Pause
            }
        }
    
    $WimFile = Join-Path $WimFolder '\Sources\install.wim'
    
    ##########################################################
    # List Windows editions on image, prompt user for
    # edition to be be updated
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath $WimFile | Format-Table ImageIndex, ImageName
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' The install.wim file contains above listed Windows editions.'
    Write-Host ' Which edition should be updated?'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Enter the ImageIndex number of correct edition and press Enter.'
    Write-Host ' If this is a single edition Windows image, enter ImageIndex 1.'                                                                     
    Write-Host
    $Index = Read-Host -Prompt ' Select edition (ImageIndex)'
            
    
    ##########################################################
    # Prompt user for folder containing downloaded WU files
    # (*.cab and / or *.msu). Again, a 'while' loop is used to
    # check folder contains Windows Update files, if not user
    # is asked to check path and try again
    ##########################################################
    
    $FileCount = 0
    while ($FileCount -eq 0) {
    cls
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '  Enter path to folder containing downloaded Windows Update'
    Write-Host '  *.cab and / or *.msu files.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '  Be sure to enter correct path / folder!'
    Write-Host                                                                       
    
    $WUFolder = Read-Host -Prompt ' Path to folder containing downloaded Windows Update files'
    
    $FileCount = (Get-ChildItem $WUFolder\* -Include *.msu,*.cab).Count
        if ($FileCount -eq 0)
            {
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' No Windows Update files found in given folder.' 
            Write-Host ' Check the path and try again.'
            Write-Host
            pause
            }
        }
    
    $WUFiles = Get-ChildItem -Path "$WUFolder" -Recurse -Include *.cab, *.msu | Sort LastWriteTime 
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Found following' $FileCount 'Windows Update files:'
    Write-Host
    ForEach ($File in $WUFiles)
        {Write-Host ' '$File}
    Write-Host
    pause    
    
    
    ##########################################################
    # Mount Windows image in temporary mount folder.
    #
    # Adding eight empty lines to $EmptySpace variable to be
    # used as placeholder to push output below PowerShell
    # progressbar which is shown on top. Five empty lines would
    # be enough for PowerShell ISE but standard PowerShell will
    # need eight lines, otherwise output remains hidden
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    $EmptySpace = @"
    
    
    
      
     
    
    
    
    "@
    
    Write-Host $EmptySpace
    Write-Host ' Mounting Windows image. This will take a few minutes.'
    Mount-WindowsImage -ImagePath $WimFolder\Sources\install.wim -Index $Index -Path $Mount | Out-Null
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Image mounted, applying updates.'
    Write-Host
    
    ##########################################################
    # Write updates one by one to Windows image. If OK, add
    # update name including KB number to 'WUSuccess.log' file,
    # if failed add to 'WUFail.log'
    ##########################################################
    
    ForEach ($File in $WUFiles)
        {
        Write-Host ' Applying'$File
        Add-WindowsPackage -Path $Mount -PackagePath $File.FullName | Out-Null
        if ($? -eq $TRUE)
            {$File.Name | Out-File -FilePath C:\WUSuccess.log -Append}
         else     
            {$File.Name | Out-File -FilePath C:\WUFail.log -Append}
        }
    
    ##########################################################
    # Dismount Windows image saving updated install.wim. Using
    # $EmptySpace variable again to push output from under
    # PowerShell progressbar to visible area under it
    ##########################################################
    
    cls
    Write-Host $EmptySpace
    Write-Host ' Dismounting Windows image, saving updated install.wim.'
    Write-Host ' This will take a minute or two.'
    Dismount-WindowsImage -Path $Mount -Save | Out-Null
    cls
    
    ##########################################################
    # Show updates added to Windows image
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUSuccess.log)
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' Following updates successfully added to Windows image: '
        Write-Host
        $LogContent = Get-Content 'C:\WUSuccess.log'
        foreach ($Line in $LogContent)
            {Write-Host ' - '$Line}
        } 
        else
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' All updates failed, nothing added to Windows image.'
        Write-Host
        pause
        exit
        }
    
    ##########################################################
    # Show failed updates
    ##########################################################
    
    if (Test-Path C:\WUFail.log)
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' Following updates could not be added to Windows image: '
        $LogContent = Get-Content 'C:\WUfail.log'
        foreach ($Line in $LogContent)
            {Write-Host ' - '$Line}
        } 
        else
        {
        Write-Host
        Write-Host ' No failed updates.'}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Delete temporary mount folder
    ##########################################################
    
    Remove-Item $Mount
    
    ##########################################################
    # Ask if user wants to create a bootable Windows USB 
    # install media now, if not end the script
    ##########################################################
    
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Windows image (install.wim) has been updated.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' If your source was a bootable USB drive, we are ready. It now'
    Write-Host ' contains the updated install.wim file.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' If you started this script by copying Windows install files'
    Write-Host ' from an ISO or DVD to hard disk, you can create a bootable'
    Write-Host ' Windows install USB drive now to be used for installing Windows'
    Write-Host ' on UEFI / GPT computers.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host '    1. Quit'
    Write-Host '    2. Create USB'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host 
    $USB = Read-Host -Prompt ' Please enter your selection (1 or 2) and press Enter'
                                                                           
        if ($USB -eq '1')
            {
            Write-Host
            Write-Host ' The folder where you copied files from ISO now contains'
            Write-Host ' updated Windows image. You can now create a new ISO '
            Write-Host ' using the folder as source. See Part Five in this tutorial'
            Write-Host ' on TenForums to see how to do that: http://bit.ly/customiso' 
            Write-Host 
            Write-Host ' More Windows 10 tips, tricks, videos & tutorials at'
            Write-Host ' https://www.tenforums.com'
            Write-Host 
            Write-Host ' Kari "The Finn"'
            Write-Host ' - TenForums.com/members/kari.html'
            Write-Host ' - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn'
            Write-Host ' - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn'
            exit
            }
         else     
            {cls}
    
    ##########################################################
    # Creating a bootable USB drive for installing Windows
    # on UEFI / GPT systems
    ##########################################################
    
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Plug in a USB drive, recommended size 6 GB or more,'
    Write-Host ' partitioning system is irrelevant (MBR or GPT).'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Notice: Remove all other USB flash drives'
    Write-Host ' leaving only the one to be used connected.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' If more than 1 USB flash drives are connected'
    Write-Host ' this process will fail.'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' External USB hard disks may remain connected,'
    Write-Host ' just remove all additional USB flash drives.'
    Write-Host
    
    pause
    cls
    
    Write-Host
    Get-Disk | Format-Table Number, Friendlyname, HealthStatus, Size, PartitionStyle
    Write-Host
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Above is a list of all your connected disks.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Enter the Disk Number (left  column) for USB'
    Write-Host ' drive to be made as bootable Windows install'
    Write-Host ' media.'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Be careful!'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Selected disk will be wiped clean and formatted.'
    Write-Host ' Selecting wrong disk, you will lose any data on it.'
    Write-Host ' If you are unsure, press CTRL + C to abort this script.'
    Write-Host 
     
    $USBNUMBER = Read-Host -Prompt ' Enter your selection, and press Enter'
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Are you sure?'
    Write-Host  
    Write-Host ' Selected disk will be completely wiped and formatted!'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Please type YES (not case sensitive) and press Enter'
    Write-Host ' to confirm, any other key or string + Enter to exit.'
    Write-Host
     
    $AreYouSure = Read-Host -Prompt ' Type YES and press Enter to confirm'
    
        if ($AreYouSure -ne 'YES')
            {exit}
         else     
            {cls}
    
    Write-Host
    Write-Host ' Wiping USB flash drive clean & formatting it'
    
    Clear-Disk -Number $USBNUMBER -RemoveData
    New-Partition -DiskNumber $USBNUMBER -UseMaximumSize -AssignDriveLetter 
    
    $USBDrive = Get-WmiObject Win32_Volume -Filter "DriveType='2'"
    $USBDrive = $USBDrive.DriveLetter
    
    Format-Volume -NewFileSystemLabel "W10 USB" -FileSystem FAT32 -DriveLetter $USBDrive.Trim(":", " ")
    
    $USBDrive = ($USBDrive + '\')
    
    cls
    
    $Files = Get-ChildItem -Path $ISOFolder -Recurse
    $FileCount = $Files.count
    $i=0
    Foreach ($File in $Files) {
        $i++
        Write-Progress -activity "Copying files to USB. Get a cup of java or shot of single malt, this will take a few minutes..." -status "$File ($i of $FileCount)" -percentcomplete (($i/$FileCount)*100)
        if ($File.psiscontainer) {$SourcefileContainer = $File.parent} else {$SourcefileContainer = $File.directory}
        $RelativePath = $SourcefileContainer.fullname.SubString($ISOFolder.length)
        Copy-Item $File.fullname ($USBDrive + $RelativePath) 
    }
    
    cls
    Write-Host                                                                        
    Write-Host ' Bootable Windows 10 install USB drive for UEFI / GPT'
    Write-Host ' computers created.'
    Write-Host   
    Write-Host ' More Windows 10 tips, tricks, videos & tutorials at'
    Write-Host ' https://www.tenforums.com'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host ' Kari "The Finn"'
    Write-Host ' - TenForums.com/members/kari.html'
    Write-Host ' - Twitter.com/KariTheFinn'
    Write-Host ' - YouTube.com/KariTheFinn'
    Write-Host 
    Write-Host
    Cheers again - will give it a go.

    As a slight aside , I bet there are loads of people who have recently joined Insider on N versions because they were never told you can't!

    I only found out by reading another forum as user was asking about media pack for N Insider versions.

    It never occurred to us "intellectuals" that MS would change the rules without telling us - LOL.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Aug 2017 #639
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,826
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    I let my cat worry about that - never quite sure if he is dead or alive in that box of his though.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    08 Aug 2017 #640
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,951
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Cheers again - will give it a go.
    Here's the easiest way to run it, shown in screenshots:

    1.)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	777.4 KB 
ID:	147885

    2.)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	147886

    3.)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	660.3 KB 
ID:	147887

    You can of course use it to update any W10 USB or ISO, not only to update N with Media Feature Pack.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 PC for Fast ring
883370827718172672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile
786612992179712000 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC on Fast ring
784439136002375681 784446397466681344 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile
UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums