Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile  


  1. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #1380

    Kari, can the folder we create called TempMount be the DestinationImageFile when converting MCT ESD media to WIM?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1381

    DavidY said:
    The only thing I didn't know was that I could replace the install.esd with install.wim in the \sources folder in the install media.
    Everything else on a Windows 10 ISO / USB is the same, also install.esd and install.wim files are content wise identical both containing Windows install image only difference being the file format, meaning they are 100% interchangeable. You can replace ESD file with WIM and vice versa, as you prefer.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1382

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Kari, can the folder we create called TempMount be the DestinationImageFile when converting MCT ESD media to WIM?
    You can of course save the install.wim anywhere you want to when converting from ESD file. But: the converted install.wim needs then to be mounted to update it, and it should be mounted to an empty folder. In your example case that folder would no longer be empty.

    When the mounted install.wim has been updated, it will be unmounted and saved. At this point DISM saves everything from the temporary mount folder (TempMount in my script) to new install.wim file. If the folder now contained an extra copy of install.wim, it would cause a huge (double to normal size) install.wim to be created.

    In other words I recommend you to copy everything from MCT ISO / USB to let's say W:\ISO_Files folder, convert ESD using W:\ISO_Files\Sources folder both as Source and Destination when converting, when done you can delete the ESD file. Now run the update script.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #1383

    Kari said:
    You can of course save the install.wim anywhere you want to when converting from ESD file. But: the converted install.wim needs then to be mounted to update it, and it should be mounted to an empty folder. In your example case that folder would no longer be empty.

    When the mounted install.wim has been updated, it will be unmounted and saved. At this point DISM saves everything from the temporary mount folder (TempMount in my script) to new install.wim file. If the folder now contained an extra copy of install.wim, it would cause a huge (double to normal size) install.wim to be created.

    In other words I recommend you to copy everything from MCT ISO / USB to let's say W:\ISO_Files folder, convert ESD using W:\ISO_Files\Sources folder both as Source and Destination when converting, when done you can delete the ESD file. Now run the update script.
    Ok thanks.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 2,204
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 build 19042.685
       #1384

    New in the Mail app on Skip Ahead, you can now resize the middle panel to view the messages in the single line view, previously, you could only resize the panel to a certain extent, cool.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 19,460
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #1385

    My can't do that !!!
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 2,204
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 build 19042.685
       #1386

    CountMike said:
    My can't do that !!!
    Maybe you have not got the update yet, I received it last night.
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile-78.jpg
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 19,460
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #1387

    LEOPEVA64 said:
    Maybe you have not got the update yet, I received it last night.
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile-78.jpg
    I just checked updates, last one was on 15th. and it's not showing that there are any new ones. That feature would be good and welcome one.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #1388

    Sorry, Kari. Scripting is fairly new to me. This is what I have from PS. I copied the ISO install files from thumb G: to a folder I made on my C: drive. I donít know enough to direct DISM to that folder using your script.

    (In continuing the script below, there's no space between the .esd and the /)




    PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:C:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile: C:\ISO_Files\install.wim/Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

    Error: 87

    The /DestinationImageFile: option is missing a required argument.
    For more information, refer to the help for the /DestinationImageFile: option.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 17,839
    Windows 10
       #1389

    Today feels like a good day for a new Build!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums