Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile  


  1. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1370

    24c said:
    The eclipse is over - Android Oreo on my Pixel XL - now what? - :)
    24c said:
    I don't do VM, have enough issues doing SSD installs -
    You could volunteer as a guinea pig to test a script

    Seriously, I would need feedback about this before doing tut and video. All feedback appreciated, negative as well. Take a standard version 1703 ISO or USB, download latest Cumulative Update from Microsoft Update Catalog, and update the ISO / USB.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile-image.png

    Script posted in this post, an easy way to run it in this post.

    Kari
      My Computer


  2. 24c
    Posts : 979
    Win 10 Prox64 - latest "final"
       #1371

    Kari
    d/l update - have an iso - both of the above links take me to page 64 in this thread - what am I missing?

    this must be the slowest d/l in history -

    ETA - I am set at 20 posts per page.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1372

    24c said:
    Kari
    d/l update - have an iso - both of the above links take me to page 64 in this thread - what am I missing?
    The links should take you to page 64 in this thread. The script was posted in post #633, and "the easy" way to run it in post #640, both in page 64 if using forums default 10 posts per page. Links checked, they work.

    I would appreciate all feedback. Are instructions clear enough, does everything work, and so on.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #1373

    Kari said:
    You could volunteer as a guinea pig to test a script

    Seriously, I would need feedback about this before doing tut and video. All feedback appreciated, negative as well. Take a standard version 1703 ISO or USB, download latest Cumulative Update from Microsoft Update Catalog, and update the ISO / USB.
    Hmmm - I could have done with this yesterday when I was trying to do something very similar:
    Old computers not yet compatible with 1703 (Broadcom 440x driver)

    I'm sure the script would have been better than the steps I ended up following.

    (I have a machine which can't be clean installed with unmodified 1703, but can be clean-installed with a recent Cumulative Update in place.)
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1374

    DavidY said:
    I have a machine which can't be clean installed with unmodified 1703, but can be clean-installed with a recent Cumulative Update in place.
    The whole idea is that you can update your install media every time a new cumulative update is released, or if you want to with every sincle update that will be released. Install media then contains and installs Windows with those updates already in place.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #1375

    Kari said:
    The whole idea is that you can update your install media every time a new cumulative update is released, or if you want to with every sincle update that will be released. Install media then contains and installs Windows with those updates already in place.
    Does it work with Media Creation Tool media?
    I seemed to end up with a complex way to do that when I was doing it yesterday, because MCT uses .ESD format for the main file, and wondered if there was a better way.
    I know I could have used a workaround to download an ISO with .WIM, but probably more people in the general user community will have the MCT version.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #1376

    I volunteer. Downloading updates as I type.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1377

    DavidY said:
    Does it work with Media Creation Tool media?
    No, updates and drivers can only be injected to WIM based media. However, it's pretty easy to convert MCT ESD media to WIM, just use DISM:

    Code:
    dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:X:\Sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:Z:\install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

    Remember to change SourceImageFile and DestinationImageFile paths to match your actual paths, and use correct SourceIndex value for the edition you want to convert. You can check the available editions, their index values with another DISM command before you start:

    Code:
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\Sources\install.esd

    When done, replace install.esd file in Sources folder with your newly converted install.wim file.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 520
    Windows 10
       #1378

    BTW there is 3 updates required since 1703 was released,
    KB4022405 - Latest servicing stack update
    KB4034662 - Latest Adobe Flash update
    KB4034674 - Latest Cumulative update
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #1379

    Kari said:
    No, updates and drivers can only be injected to WIM based media. However, it's pretty easy to convert MCT ESD media to WIM, just use DISM:

    Code:
    dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:X:\Sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:Z:\install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

    Remember to change SourceImageFile and DestinationImageFile paths to match your actual paths, and use correct SourceIndex value for the edition you want to convert. You can check the available editions, their index values with another DISM command before you start:

    Code:
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:X:\Sources\install.esd

    When done, replace install.esd file in Sources folder with your newly converted install.wim file.
    Thanks Kari,

    That's pretty much what I did (see my long and tedious post linked to earlier).

    The only thing I didn't know was that I could replace the install.esd with install.wim in the \sources folder in the install media. I thought the media may have other differences for an ESD version compared to WIM version.
    (I ended up converting the WIM back to ESD with another DISM /Export-Image command, but it seems I didn't need to do this.)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums