Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile Insider


  1. Posts : 13,457
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Aug 2017 #1041

    cereberus said: View Post
    I have tried it several times on different vms. The .vmcz file is always less than 2GB, and renaming as .zip fails as PC does ipen it. I get no error message on creation of .vmcz file..
    slicendice said: View Post
    Are you certain you are waiting long enough? It takes HUGE amounts of time to get the final vmcz file written? Hyper-V says it'´s completed almost immediately, while the compression process takes ages after that. Are you patient enough? On a small 5GB VM it took a really long time. Think the compression is done in single thread mode.
    Sharing a VM with a 17.2 GB VHD just now took 32 minutes on my i5 / 12 GB / 1 TB 7,2000 RPM spinner Asus laptop, creating a 7.9 GB .vmcz file. VM was not running when sharing. Sharing the same VM when it's running took ten minutes more.

    The only indicator about the process can be seen in Task Manager. When sharing process starts, Virtual Machine Management System starts writing to disk:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	148945

    After some time this process ends, process Virtual Machine Connection takes over and continues writing to disk:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	148946

    Only when both of these processes have stopped writing to disk is .vmcz file done, as mentioned above in a test I run just now it took over half an hour.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Aug 2017 #1042

    slicendice said: View Post
    Are you certain you are waiting long enough? It takes HUGE amounts of time to get the final vmcz file written? Hyper-V says it'´s completed almost immediately, while the compression process takes ages after that. Are you patient enough? On a small 5GB VM it took a really long time. Think the compression is done in single thread mode.
    Yeah I did see the file has zero bytes for a while but after a few mins, it shows the filesize but never goes above 2GB.

    So I think it is failing to pick up my vhds.

    I can never open the .vmcz file either changing it to .zip.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Aug 2017 #1043

    Kari said: View Post
    Sharing a VM with a 17.2 GB VHD just now took 32 minutes on my i5 / 12 GB / 1 TB 7,2000 RPM spinner Asus laptop, creating a 7.9 GB .vmcz file. VM was not running when sharing. Sharing the same VM when it's running took ten minutes more.

    The only indicator about the process can be seen in Task Manager. When sharing process starts, Virtual Machine Management System starts writing to disk:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	148945

    After some time this process ends, process Virtual Machine Connection takes over and continues writing to disk:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	148946

    Only when both of these processes have stopped writing to disk is .vmcz file done, as mentioned above in a test I run just now it took over half an hour.

    Kari
    I will look at processes and see if they both kick in.

    Cheers

    M.


    EDIT: I see now I have to keep VMC open as it is a foreground process not a background process.

    I think it is working now - up to 4GB after a few minutes. Will report back.

    Kiitos, suomalaiset ystäväni
    Last edited by cereberus; 15 Aug 2017 at 03:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       15 Aug 2017 #1044

    cereberus said: View Post
    Kiitos, suomalaiset ystäväni
    Ole hyvä! Ilo oli meidän puolellamme!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13,457
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Aug 2017 #1045

    cereberus said: View Post
    Kiitos, suomalaiset ystäväni
    LOL you are welcome!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Aug 2017 #1046

    slicendice said: View Post
    Ole hyvä! Ilo oli meidän puolellamme!
    google translate is a bit odd in english

    You're welcome! Happy was on our side!

    Meaning is clear though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 13,457
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Aug 2017 #1047

    cereberus said: View Post
    google translate is a bit odd in english

    You're welcome! Happy was on our side!

    Meaning is clear though.
    Google Translator did a good job, translating it word by word. However, as those web translators don't understand the nuances, you quite often lose something in translation.

    I guess the correct translation of "Ilo oli / on meidän / minun puolellamme" would be "The pleasure was / is all ours / mine".

    Colour codes showing past tense / present tense, plural (we) and singular (I, me).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       15 Aug 2017 #1048

    cereberus said: View Post
    google translate is a bit odd in english

    You're welcome! Happy was on our side!

    Meaning is clear though.
    Oh? From Translator Store app:

    Thank you, my Finnish friends

    Please! Joy was on our side

    Is that closer?

    Translator is another app that's come a long way since introduction in 8/8.1.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (321).png 
Views:	5 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	148959
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 13,457
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Aug 2017 #1049



    I'm always wondering Dona's working hours, the location tag puts her now in New York, meaning she tweeted the above at 7:02 AM her current time (EDT).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       15 Aug 2017 #1050

    FIN: Ilo oli meidän puolellamme!
    ENG: Our pleasure!

    Translators don't understand context and phrases that well, if at all! They simply don't understand the psychology behind a language.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
883370827718172672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
786612992179712000 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
784439136002375681 784446397466681344 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
Find Us