Windows 10: Microsoft Releases Windows 10 S ISO to Developers, Education Customers

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1.    29 Jul 2017 #10

    Might be the thumb drive, although the error message is talking about the source? I clicked retry a few times with no success then clicked cancel. The thumb drive was at 99% but shows as blank. Rebooted and now I get check for errors messages. I'm doing a clean and reformat with diskpart, and will try again with the ISO I have. If it fails again I'll check the hash.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 Pro
       29 Jul 2017 #11

    I had no issues to install it last night (see this post), although I do not use USB or DVD to install, I simply apply Windows image with DISM to new partition and when done add it to boot menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jul 2017 #12

    First time I've seen the error I posted above. Will have a second go in a bit. I did a normal format instead of fast, its at 80%. Downloading the ISO again anyway, its at 40% and 6 min remaining.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2017 #13

    Meh, same error only at 94% and install.wim. I have no idea what's going on? If I click skip it just errors on another file. That's enough for me for today. Not feeling well at all and in no mode for this headache at the moment. Next try will be with a different thumb drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Jul 2017 #14

    Looks like it was the thumb drive, used a different one (same manufacturer, same size) and no error. :)

    EDIT: FYI, thumb drive was formatted in fat32. I've had issues with the 10 multi edition ISO where the wim file was to big to fit on a fat32 formatted drive. File size was to big.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.137 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       29 Jul 2017 #15

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Looks like it was the thumb drive, used a different one (same manufacturer, same size) and no error. :)

    EDIT: FYI, thumb drive was formatted in fat32. I've had issues with the 10 multi edition ISO where the wim file was to big to fit on a fat32 formatted drive. File size was to big.
    FAT32 has a 2GB MAX file size limit. The newer version has a 4GB limit

    I format all my bootable thumbdrives in NTFS, just in case.

    ExFAT is also a good alternative. Has virtually unlimited file size limit.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jul 2017 #16

    slicendice said: View Post
    FAT32 has a 2GB MAX file size limit. The newer version has a 4GB limit

    I format all my bootable thumbdrives in NTFS, just in case.

    ExFAT is also a good alternative. Has virtually unlimited file size limit.
    FAT32 has been 4GB max for Donkey's years. I cannot remember it ever being 2GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 Pro
       29 Jul 2017 #17

    I customize install images all the time, my install.wim files are very seldom under 4 GB which rules out using fat32.

    I use this UEFI:NTFS tool to make a small fat32 partition for bootloader on USB drive, rest of the drive being then NTFS which allows larger WIM files to be used: GitHub - pbatard/uefi-ntfs: UEFI:NTFS - Boot NTFS partitions from UEFI

    BTW, Rufus can make it automatically.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Jul 2017 #18

    slicendice said: View Post
    FAT32 has a 2GB MAX file size limit. The newer version has a 4GB limit

    I format all my bootable thumbdrives in NTFS, just in case.

    ExFAT is also a good alternative. Has virtually unlimited file size limit.
    That's great except if your trying to do a UEFI install. A lot of PC's won't let you install in UEFI mode from an NTFS formatted thumb drive. Your only option is Legacy. My wife's Acer laptop won't boot from an NTFS thumb drive period. No way no how. This thumb drive was already all setup as fat32 and tagged as active. I just replaced the Windows 10 install files already on it with the new ones from the new ISO.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 14,254
    Windows 10 Pro
       29 Jul 2017 #19

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    That's great except if your trying to do a UEFI install. A lot of PC's won't let you install in UEFI mode from an NTFS formatted thumb drive. Your only option is Legacy.
    Read my post just before yours.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Partnering with the AV ecosystem to protect our Windows 10 customers Windows Security
Source: Windows Server for Developers: News from Microsoft Build 2017 Hybrid Cloud Blog
Source: Windows Developers at Microsoft Build 2017 - Building Apps for Windows
Read more: Microsoft to add new Windows 10 Pro Education version to its line-up | ZDNet See also: Windows 10 editions for education customers
Information Description Developer Tools Download Download any Visual Studio skus, including VS 2015
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48.
Find Us