Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Slow Build 16251 PC Insider

Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #150

    CountMike said: View Post
    With every build, less custom settings are removed but stupid arrows on desktop icons still show up and have to remove them myself.
    :) only thing I have on my desktop is the RecycleBin.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	145816
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    27 Jul 2017 #151

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	145817

    I like to have copies of most of stuff on desktop too. Old school.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #152

    CountMike said: View Post
    I like to have copies of most of stuff on desktop too. Old school.
    Yes, I used to be like that too, but once I realized my desktop is filled with icons and it all was a mess, I started to learn how to search for apps from START. I now find what I am looking for much faster.

    I even stick all my portable apps shortcuts to START for easy access.


    Edit: Another reason for removing all icons from desktop is that I am on a laptop and use multiple displays. My icons tend to switch places every now and then. And it's a mess.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,041
    64-bit Win10 Pro Insider Build 17741
       27 Jul 2017 #153

    it looked to me as though the update came down in two waves..
    at about 40%, my download stopped and the computer did a Defender Update
    - then went back and finished the rest of the download..

    - if that was intentional or not, I don't know..
    - the installation feels very solid and stable, so far..
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #154

    BugMeister said: View Post
    it looked to me as though the update came down in two waves..
    at about 40%, my download stopped and the computer did a Defender Update
    - then went back and finished the rest of the download..

    - if that was intentional or not, I don't know..
    - the installation feels very solid and stable, so far..
    I also had definition updates coming in during Upgrade. But for me the Upgrade part completed first, then just before reboot, Defender got updated.

    I have no issues at all in this build (RS3_Release). Some .NET apps are still slow due to not being yet optimized by the .NET runtime optimizer. But overall, everything works as expected and in some cases even better than that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    27 Jul 2017 #155

    BugMeister said: View Post
    it looked to me as though the update came down in two waves..
    at about 40%, my download stopped and the computer did a Defender Update
    - then went back and finished the rest of the download..

    - if that was intentional or not, I don't know..
    - the installation feels very solid and stable, so far..
    Yes, prep session does some downloads before main body comes down. There's some upload during that time too. My guess is that UUP is all about, comparing files and settings and maybe sending them to cloud for (maybe) temporary safe place. I don't know if MS ever expalined the UUP process.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #156

    CountMike said: View Post
    Yes, prep session does some downloads before main body comes down. There's some upload during that time too. My guess is that UUP is all about, comparing files and settings and maybe sending them to cloud for (maybe) temporary safe place. I don't know if MS ever expalined the UUP process.
    What I am certain of, is that UUP sends detailed HW and Software information to the WU server. If it would not do that, we could easily get incompatible packages and also missing packages. Also while being an insider, WU sends a lot of telemetry data to Microsoft, and there is nothing we can do about that. It's all in the Windows Insider Agreement. (oversimplified: you are free to test our BETA product and help make it better if you agree to send us some hardware and usage data)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,498
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17711/Windows Server 2019 IP Build 17692/Debian Unsttable
       27 Jul 2017 #157

    Well I'm working on a clean install of build 16251 (ran setup.exe but had to intervene a few times in order to get my multiboot setup working properly). I must say I'm liking it quite a bit. For example I'm now using FF in an Ubuntu Bash Xwindow. Here's what I do. After installation I first install all the features I want including Hyper-V (haven't gotten around to that yet but the night is young) including Ubuntu Bash which nows installs nicely from the store.
    Then after installing user marty I create the root passwd (sudo passwd root) and run nano on the /etc/sudoers file as root). The exit the root shell and run "sudo apt install aptitude" and then "sudo aptitude update" and finally "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". Only 26 files needed updating after the installation from Store - if I had just run "lxrun /install" from an elevated command prompt and updated there would have been over a hundred files to update. Then install this program "Xming-6-9-0-31-setup.exe". A small but welcome detail is when the Windows Firewall asks for permission to run the program it defaults to allowing access on Private networks rather than Public networks. Now you can run X programs under Windows. The first program I install is the synaptic package so "sudo aptitude install synaptic" and the "sudo DISPLAY=:0 synaptic" and you can install thousands of Ubuntu programs. Of course many will not work (I know evolution won't) but Firefox and Thunderbird will.

    So looking forward to Fedora and SUSE to be added to the store.

    That's all for the moment Insider geeks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #158

    martyfelker said: View Post
    Well I'm working on a clean install of build 16251 (ran setup.exe but had to intervene a few times in order to get my multiboot setup working properly). I must say I'm liking it quite a bit. For example I'm now using FF in an Ubuntu Bash Xwindow. Here's what I do. After installation I first install all the features I want including Hyper-V (haven't gotten around to that yet but the night is young) including Ubuntu Bash which nows installs nicely from the store.
    Then after installing user marty I create the root passwd (sudo passwd root) and run nano on the /etc/sudoers file as root). The exit the root shell and run "sudo apt install aptitude" and then "sudo aptitude update" and finally "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". Only 26 files needed updating after the installation from Store - if I had just run "lxrun /install" from an elevated command prompt and updated there would have been over a hundred files to update. Then install this program "Xming-6-9-0-31-setup.exe". A small but welcome detail is when the Windows Firewall asks for permission to run the program it defaults to allowing access on Private networks rather than Public networks. Now you can run X programs under Windows. The first program I install is the synaptic package so "sudo aptitude install synaptic" and the "sudo DISPLAY=:0 synaptic" and you can install thousands of Ubuntu programs. Of course many will not work (I know evolution won't) but Firefox and Thunderbird will.

    So looking forward to Fedora and SUSE to be added to the store.

    That's all for the moment Insider geeks.
    SUSE is already in the Store (2 versions). Remember that WSL is a command line developer tool, not a Linux GUI tool. Though X/GUI works great in most cases, don't expect them all to run ever. I also have/had XMING server installed, and I find the features it brings quite useful when configuring the LXSS-box settings. The GUI tools are sometimes much more convenient than doing it all by hand in a script file or in BASH Shell.

    EDIT: Seems SUSE has been removed from the Store, I can't find it anymore. Maybe it had too many bugs still?
    EDIT: Seems SUSE is in the store after all... :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,349
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       27 Jul 2017 #159

    Sorry for the mess...fixed...
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16232 PC + 15228 Mobile Insider - Windows 10 Forums 883408218176618496 How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your...
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_mobile/announcing-feb-insider-slow-update-for-office/393f81af-07df-47e3-916c-9d03bd6c21ba
783714051293646850 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC to Insiders in the Slow ring - Feedback Hub See also: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC Download Insider Build 14931 ISO:...
Current channel - Version 1608 (Build 7341.2032) Source: Microsoft Community
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.
Find Us