Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    20 Jul 2017 #11

    Thanks for sharing this news: whether the import is positive or negative, it's good to know what's going on. I've been a long-time user of CCleaner and would be sorry, but not devastated, to see it deteriorate. I hope they keep making the "slim" version because that one has the toolbars (and presumably also that would include ad-ware) stripped out.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    20 Jul 2017 #12
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 2,752
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1709

    Quote Originally Posted by EdTittel View Post
    Thanks for sharing this news: whether the import is positive or negative, it's good to know what's going on. I've been a long-time user of CCleaner and would be sorry, but not devastated, to see it deteriorate. I hope they keep making the "slim" version because that one has the toolbars (and presumably also that would include ad-ware) stripped out.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

    I'm also a long-time user of CCleaner and as I've always been happy with it's performance I've never bothered to look for an alternative. Does a viable alternative exist ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Jul 2017 #13

    There used to be an alternative called fcleaner which looked fairly similar but it's not been updated since 2010.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    20 Jul 2017 #14
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,708
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DooGie View Post
    I'm also a long-time user of CCleaner and as I've always been happy with it's performance I've never bothered to look for an alternative. Does a viable alternative exist ?
    Wise Disk cleaner
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Jul 2017 #15

    1+ for WDC!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    20 Jul 2017 #16
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,552
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    Wise Disk cleaner
    Yep Josey, Wise is a good one too, just not as "safe", but still really good.
    But being I use an SSD, Wise would be ok, as I do not delete any caches that will be re-written any how(to save writes), plus all those caches are there to speed up the system, and should only be deleted when there is an actual slow down, or a problem(like a too old DNS cache causing page loading problems).
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    20 Jul 2017 #17
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,708
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Yep Josey, Wise is a good one too, just not as "safe", but still really good.
    But being I use an SSD, Wise would be ok, as I do not delete any caches that will be re-written any how(to save writes), plus all those caches are there to speed up the system, and should only be deleted when there is an actual slow down, or a problem(like a too old DNS cache causing page loading problems).
    One has to know what they are doing. It can be set to backup before use. Another product is Glary Utilities 5 Pro but it is even more in depth.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Jul 2017 #18
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,552
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    There is also BleachBit(which I use in my Ubuntu virtual machine), they also have a Windows version: Download BleachBit for Windows | BleachBit

    Or at MajorGeeks: Download BleachBit - MajorGeeks


      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    20 Jul 2017 #19

    I don't think it's so bad that we need to look for alternatives to CCleaner...

    IMHO, Avast's business plan revolves around resource optimisation.. in that respect getting Piriform on board augments that philosophy.

    I doubt CCleaner will change much as a standalone product - it's merely the intellectual content they acquired.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Jul 2017 #20
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,552
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I don't think it's so bad that we need to look for alternatives to CCleaner...

    IMHO, Avast's business plan revolves around resource optimisation.. in that respect getting Piriform on board augments that philosophy.

    I doubt CCleaner will change much as a standalone product - it's merely the intellectual content they acquired.
    Speccy might be one of the programs they could use to optimize their own software(under the hood)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner
106686 Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner Version: v7.0.4.0 27 Oct 2017 146770 146771
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG
Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG for $1.3BN to gain scale and dive into IoT security | TechCrunch Avast and AVG: A Future Together At least one question will become meaningless: Which is better, Avast or AVG? Lets call it Avgast. :nerd:
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Microsoft acquires messaging app vendor Wand Labs
Source: Microsoft acquires Wand Labs to accelerate innovation in Bing intelligence and Conversation as a Platform - The Official Microsoft Blog
Windows 10 News
Sophos Acquires SurfRight
http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/press/sophos-acquires-surfright Interesting. These are the guys that make HitManPro. Good for them.
Chillout Room
o&o vs piriform
Who makes the better desktop solutions overall? I'm thinking of getting a suite of software as a xmas gift to someone, from one of these two. Question is, they make pretty similar software from the looks of it, but who's performs better?
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums