Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,413
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       24 Jul 2015 #1

    Windows 10: What to expect on July 29


    With the launch of Windows 10 less than a week away, here’s what you can expect to find when the operating system launches on July 29. It’s not quite as simple as “Windows 10 will be available that day.”

    Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first dibs when Windows 10 launches on July 29, while everyone else will see a staggered roll out over the following days. In other words, if you haven’t yet “reserved” your free upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, now would be the time to do so. Microsoft recently began offering reservations through a pop-up message in the Windows notification center.

    Microsoft says it will use the rollout to check compatibility and to “listen, learn, and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.” However, the company notes that “the vast majority” of PCs running Windows 7 and higher should be fully compatible— though the compatibility checker doesn’t recognize Nvidia’s Windows 10-compatible GeForce GTX 980 Ti graphics card. As a reminder, all users running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 within a year of the July 29 launch, after which the price will be $119...


    Read more: Windows 10: What to expect on July 29 | PCWorld
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       24 Jul 2015 #2

    From article:

    Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first dibs when Windows 10 launches on July 29, while everyone else will see a staggered roll out over the following days. In other words, if you haven’t yet “reserved” your free upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, now would be the time to do so. Microsoft recently began offering reservations through a pop-up message in the Windows notification center.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,963
    All kinds
       25 Jul 2015 #3

    Or for the others:
    ""The interesting thing is Microsoft says "Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following".""
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,675
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       25 Jul 2015 #4

    Guess I gotta get my Windows 8.1 partitions ready for upgrade! I will probably have to call Microsoft on Lappy 17 because I'm using my remaining Retail Pro key on it (which was on the laptop that cratered).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Feb 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Posts : 123
    Win 10
       25 Jul 2015 #5

    Waiting with Bated Breath
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,541
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       25 Jul 2015 #6

    CountMike said: View Post
    Or for the others:
    ""The interesting thing is Microsoft says "Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following".""
    CountMike

    I really can't seeing it taking months though. There is suppose to be a major update later this year. I can't see people wanting months to upgrade. The free offer to upgrade only last 12 months. To be true to the offer they technically in the U.S. have to start rolling it out to the consumer on the 29th or extended the free offer expiration date if it is delayed.

    That link was removed by Microsoft that you posted. Here is another link.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       25 Jul 2015 #7

    What to expect on July 29th. Well in our neck of the woods temps near 90F high humidity and pop up thunderstorms.........could cause power outages. Not good in a possible upgrade situation. Insiders won't need to upgrade we already have the finished version. There maybe a patch that comes out and advances the 240 number to final whatever and the other thing I suspect insiders will get is access to retail ISO for clean installs.
    Other than that life goes on and it will soon be August the hazy lazy dog days of summer..............
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       25 Jul 2015 #8

    Indianatone said: View Post
    What to expect on July 29th. Well in our neck of the woods temps near 90F high humidity and pop up thunderstorms.........could cause power outages. Not good in a possible upgrade situation. Insiders won't need to upgrade we already have the finished version. There maybe a patch that comes out and advances the 240 number to final whatever and the other thing I suspect insiders will get is access to retail ISO for clean installs.
    Other than that life goes on and it will soon be August the hazy lazy dog days of summer..............
    I think on the 29th that we will get a bunch of patch and bug fixes for build 10240.
    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       25 Jul 2015 #9

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I think on the 29th that we will get a bunch of patch and bug fixes for build 10240.
    Jeff
    Jeff if not even on the previous Tuesday so its good to go first thing on the 29th Worldwide.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,675
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       25 Jul 2015 #10

    groze said: View Post
    CountMike

    I really can't seeing it taking months though. There is suppose to be a major update later this year. I can't see people wanting months to upgrade. The free offer to upgrade only last 12 months. To be true to the offer they technically in the U.S. have to start rolling it out to the consumer on the 29th or extended the free offer expiration date if it is delayed.

    That link was removed by Microsoft that you posted. Here is another link.
    The only link in Count Mike's post doesn't seem to have carried forward into your quote of his post; however, I went to Mike's post and the link took me straight to where Mike was pointing: Windows 10 Q & A Windows 10 FAQ Tips - Microsoft

    Just as an FYI, Microsoft does not come into TenForums and remove links from our posts, no matter whether they're right or wrong. I don't believe I've ever clicked on a link to Microsoft that has been unavailable to me unless it was mis-stated.

    Oh, and the link you posted? The paragraph Mike quoted is in there verbatim, right near the bottom:

    "The interesting thing is Microsoft says "Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following"."

    The link within that paragraph takes you to exactly the same place Mike pointed to. Check it out . . . What you need to know before installing Windows 10 (including you might be waiting MONTHS for the upgrade!)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft's Windows 10 for IoT: What to expect
Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-10-for-iot-what-to-expect/
Windows 10 News
What to expect at this week's Windows 10 launch
More
Windows 10 News
Realistically... when do you expect W9 to trial in beta ?
As the title says really :) Have we any idea of the latest timescales ?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums