Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    25 Jul 2015 #41
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,894
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I was under the impression that if you 'reserved', the download would happen automatically, and that you'd be notified when it was all downloaded and ready for installation, at which point you can do tha actual installation at your convenience.
    I don't think so. . . I think you have to give that final OK before your system is actually changed. Once Windows 10 is installed, though, Windows 10 Home will be automatically updated while Windows 10 Pro will let you say "when".

    However, if you've already upgraded Windows 7/8.1 to the Preview, the final will probably be downloaded and installed automatically.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Jul 2015 #42
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 627
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I don't think so. . . I think you have to give that final OK before your system is actually changed. Once Windows 10 is installed, though, Windows 10 Home will be automatically updated while Windows 10 Pro will let you say "when".

    However, if you've already upgraded Windows 7/8.1 to the Preview, the final will probably be downloaded and installed automatically.
    That's what I just said - it will not install until you have given it the go ahead. The plan as it was described at the beginning of the reservation program was that the bits would silently download in the background. When they were all in, the system would then notify you and let you install right away, or at a time of your choosing. It will not install without your say-so.

    It doesn't ask you if you want to download, because you signed up to have it download ASAP. That's kind of the point of the reservation system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Jul 2015 #43
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,627
    W10 Insider + Linux

    I hope I would have final say when to download files needed to upgrade my 8.1 because I want to hang on it for a while. First, I don't know if by upgrading 8.1 I would loose insider position and I mean to keep it on dual boot as long as insider program is active. Upgrading, I don't think MS would dare to push it without owner's permission. That would be just too much.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    25 Jul 2015 #44
    Join Date : May 2014
    Cross Plains, WI
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Upgraded my system with the RTM build of Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Weirdly enough, it already says it is activated.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    25 Jul 2015 #45
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,894
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    That's what I just said - it will not install until you have given it the go ahead. The plan as it was described at the beginning of the reservation program was that the bits would silently download in the background. When they were all in, the system would then notify you and let you install right away, or at a time of your choosing. It will not install without your say-so.

    It doesn't ask you if you want to download, because you signed up to have it download ASAP. That's kind of the point of the reservation system.
    Talk about misreading a post! Sheesh! Sorry 'bout dat!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Jul 2015 #46
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,894
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by ArazelEternal View Post
    Upgraded my system with the RTM build of Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Weirdly enough, it already says it is activated.
    Yeah, Arazel, I'm activated too and 10 is on a partition unrelated to Windows 7 or 8.1.

    Which makes me wonder if or when we'll actually be required to activate Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Jul 2015 #47
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 627
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I hope I would have final say when to download files needed to upgrade my 8.1 because I want to hang on it for a while. First, I don't know if by upgrading 8.1 I would loose insider position and I mean to keep it on dual boot as long as insider program is active. Upgrading, I don't think MS would dare to push it without owner's permission. That would be just too much.
    Again, there's downloading, and there's installing - the two are decoupled. The idea was that if you 'reserved' a copy, it would automatically download ASAP, silently, in the background, presumably so as not to interfere with other net activities. Once it was all in place, THEN you will be notified, and you can install then and there, or at a time of your choosing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Jul 2015 #48
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,627
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Again, there's downloading, and there's installing - the two are decoupled. The idea was that if you 'reserved' a copy, it would automatically download ASAP, silently, in the background, presumably so as not to interfere with other net activities. Once it was all in place, THEN you will be notified, and you can install then and there, or at a time of your choosing.
    That's what I was expecting but not a single byte yet that can be attributed to final download.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    25 Jul 2015 #49
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    One word..

    "JOY!!"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Jul 2015 #50
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,627
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    One word..

    "JOY!!"
    This much ?

    Joy to the World - YouTube
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft's Windows 10 for IoT: What to expect
Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-10-for-iot-what-to-expect/
Windows 10 News
What to expect at this week's Windows 10 launch
More
Windows 10 News
Realistically... when do you expect W9 to trial in beta ?
As the title says really :) Have we any idea of the latest timescales ?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums