Windows 10: Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    26 Jul 2015 #91

    Wynona said: View Post
    My statement was in reference to Frank's statement: "Mistakes do happen and what if for some reason it does a clean install and backups haven't been made." which indicates to me that he "thinks/thought" Microsoft might do a clean install on his machine and muck up the works.
    Yes, even though on the automatic update MS's intention is to simply install and save everything, even though it's not supposed to it may do a clean install which will wipe out everything. That would really "muck" things up real good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       26 Jul 2015 #92

    CountMike said: View Post
    That must be it, I noticed a lot of outgoing traffic during and after update download (I follow and pay attention to things like that). I attributed it to my system sending info about success of update installation but it may be that they are using my system to send same or part of downloaded files to others over internet. My W10 installation is not connected to home network so there's nothing else to send files to.
    Of course if you have limited slow internet or you are capped in some way you need to turn that OFF and set the other setting buried somewhere else in OFFLINE MAPS (stupid place should be with updates) Metered connections to ON.

    Screenshot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 x64-2015-07-26-12-04-09.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	25988

    It does state that it does not affect auto updates but it will prevent automatic huge downloads without you saying so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,325
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #93

    Frank1 said: View Post
    Yes, even though on the automatic update MS's intention is to simply install and save everything, even though it's not supposed to it may do a clean install which will wipe out everything. That would really "muck" things up real good.
    I'm pretty sure you're safe, Frank, but if you're worried, why not create an image of your installation "just in case". The main thing I'd make a backup is my data and then take an image of your current installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,304
    Windows 10 Professional
       26 Jul 2015 #94

    What may happen on the 29th and following is a flood of concise and exhaustive official 'HowTo' guides for Windows 10 from MS themselves and, we beta testers, who have been bustin our buns for the last six months helping MS get this 'show on the road', with virtually no help from them I might add, are gonna look like a bunch of 'you know whats' because we may have gotten one or two details incorrect!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,586
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       26 Jul 2015 #95

    I wouldn't put myself down. There is probably more real experience here than in dozens of technical support centers that will be dealing with Windows 10 in a few days time. They are going to be having the roughest time - for us no pressure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,304
    Windows 10 Professional
       26 Jul 2015 #96

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    I wouldn't put myself down. There is probably more real experience here than in dozens of technical support centers that will be dealing with Windows 10 in a few days time. They are going to be having the roughest time - for us no pressure.
    I'm good with that!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,325
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       26 Jul 2015 #97

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    I wouldn't put myself down. There is probably more real experience here than in dozens of technical support centers that will be dealing with Windows 10 in a few days time. They are going to be having the roughest time - for us no pressure.
    Yep and I foresee a whole bunch of Windows 10 newbies bouncing into TenForums.com asking for our help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jul 2015 #98

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yep and I foresee a whole bunch of Windows 10 newbies bouncing into TenForums.com asking for our help.
    Oh.,. NO!! Yes.. lots of questions.. complaints and I bet some down right hate of both MS and Windows 20.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       26 Jul 2015 #99

    Indianatone said: View Post
    Of course if you have limited slow internet or you are capped in some way you need to turn that OFF and set the other setting buried somewhere else in OFFLINE MAPS (stupid place should be with updates) Metered connections to ON.

    Screenshot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 x64-2015-07-26-12-04-09.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	25988

    It does state that it does not affect auto updates but it will prevent automatic huge downloads without you saying so.
    For now, that only works if you only use wi-fi connection to connect to the internet. If you have Ethernet cable connected it will still download all updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    26 Jul 2015 #100

    I don't have problem with that but don't want to wake one day up, boot to 8.1 and end up with 10 instead and my insider account turned off. Turned net inside out and upside down but question if I will loose insider rating when I upgrade 8.1 to 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-10-for-iot-what-to-expect/
As the title says really :) Have we any idea of the latest timescales ?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.
Find Us