Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241 PC + 15230 Mobile Insider

Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
  1.    18 Jul 2017 #360

    cereberus said: View Post
    Most XP users are from third world countries who cannot afford new hardware or people who only use it for very basic stuff. No different to cars really. There will always be some persons who hang on to their 20 year old ford fiesta used to just go to local shops.

    StatCounter puts Windows XP share at just over 11 percent. XP's share in the United States is lower, 6.5 percent, according to StatCounter. [Click on image for larger view.] StatCounter's worldwide desktop operating system data shows Windows XP trailed only Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 by the end of March 2015.Apr 8, 2015

    Windows XP Usage Still Strong at 250 Million Users -- Redmondmag.com


    4.5% lower in the US that is still 6.5% of users in The US. Not everyone that lives here is rich.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 592
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 builds 17134.1, 17643.1000, 16299.371
       18 Jul 2017 #361

    In today's webcast they said that during the time the installation is delayed in 75 or 76% they want us to do other things on the PC, but in my case, during that time the disk usage is almost 100 % so all other processes slow down, I do not understand that.

    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build Upgrades and Recent Changes Insider - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Jul 2017 #362

    LEOPEVA64 said: View Post
    In today's webcast they said that during the time the installation is delayed in 75 or 76% they want us to do other things on the PC, but in my case, during that time the disk usage is almost 100 % so all other processes slow down, I do not understand that.

    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build Upgrades and Recent Changes Insider - Windows 10 Forums
    Yes that will just slow it down even more. If I update from WU it can be anywhere from 2 to 6 hours. If I use a ISO it is 25 minutes. MS either needs more servers or there is a problem, 2 years ago an update took 20 minutes or so on WU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Jul 2017 #363
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    18 Jul 2017 #364

    Fabler2 said: View Post
    Up and running on the Crucial SSD.
    Had to use a USB 2 caddy on this old machine for it to work. So USB3 isn't all that backward compatible after all.
    Hmmm....that is interesting. Good to know. Glad you got it sorted!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Jul 2017 #365

    simrick said: View Post
    Hmmm....that is interesting. Good to know. Glad you got it sorted!
    Not all MBs with USB3 support booting from it, neither does every OS.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    19 Jul 2017 #366

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    StatCounter puts Windows XP share at just over 11 percent. XP's share in the United States is lower, 6.5 percent, according to StatCounter. [Click on image for larger view.] StatCounter's worldwide desktop operating system data shows Windows XP trailed only Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 by the end of March 2015.Apr 8, 2015

    Windows XP Usage Still Strong at 250 Million Users -- Redmondmag.com


    4.5% lower in the US that is still 6.5% of users in The US. Not everyone that lives here is rich.

    Stats like that do not reflect world population. Despite US influence, it is only 5%of world population.

    POP US - 350 million.

    assume 1.5 billion Windows users
    11% on XP worldwide - is 165 million XP users.

    Assume 200 million windows users in US.

    Only approx 13 million users of XP in US.

    Rest of world = 165 - 13 =152 million.

    As I said, bulk of XP users are from third world countries.



    Basically those 13 million users in US and similar in other developed countries eg EU are either on old pcs or luddites.

    Very few XP users have hardware really suitable for Windows 10, so it is basically nonsense to say not all users like 10 but still prefer XP. If these XP users had kit really suitable for 10, AND MS had given a FREE upgrade, most would be on 10 now.

    Why would people move from XP to 10 if they had to pay for it when the licence is say 30% of cost of a new pc. Would be more sensible to buy a new pc (but most XP users either cannot afford it or have such basic needs, no real incentive).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Jul 2017 #367

    Moving from XP to W10 on same machine is probably rarest of moves unless XP was used in a more modern computer. Most of them that came out with XP are incapable or barely capable of running any newer windows. I doubt not that there are many, many computers running XP that are not taken into account and that's not counting illegal copies.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 13,746
    Windows 10 Pro
       19 Jul 2017 #368

    CountMike said: View Post
    Moving from XP to W10 on same machine is probably rarest of moves unless XP was used in a more modern computer. Most of them that came out with XP are incapable or barely capable of running any newer windows.
    Totally trivial test I made, an old thread, but nevertheless I thought I'd post the link: In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps Solved - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    19 Jul 2017 #369

    Kari said: View Post
    Totally trivial test I made, an old thread, but nevertheless I thought I'd post the link: In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    It's more of a case of obsolete HW than OS itself.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    829827700969787392 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15031 for Mobile - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
    781177126569455616 Update: Early version of UWP File Explorer app found in build 14936. Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14936 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
    UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
    738201854929047552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14356 | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:25.
    Find Us