Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241 PC + 15230 Mobile Insider

Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Jul 2017 #230

    cereberus said: View Post
    I assume you meant add, not ad as adding ads is all to easy .
    Hungry KB, eats letters for breakfast
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,786
    Windows 10 Pro
       16 Jul 2017 #231

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    IMHO MS should concentrate on the core of Windows 10 and not on Metro Apps. I found out how to remove Edge but I don't know if MS would like that.:)
    ... and my opinion is exactly the opposite: in my opinion, Windows is no longer just a core operating system, evolution of Windows cannot advance without evolution of its apps.

    I find it extremely good that an out-of-the-box Windows, freshly installed or pre-installed, it has basically everything an average user needs without any third party apps.

    It has Edge & IE to browse Internet and read PDF files, Groove to play music, Films & TV to watch and stream videos, Mail and Skype to manage your communications, Cortana to find help, People to manage your contacts, WordPad & Notepad to create text documents, OneNote to make notes, and whatnot. I know several basic users who have no need for any third party apps.

    Astonishingly well done Microsoft!

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Jul 2017 #232

    Kari said: View Post
    ... and my opinion is exactly the opposite: in my opinion, Windows is no longer just a core operating system, evolution of Windows cannot advance without evolution of its apps.

    I find it extremely good that an out-of-the-box Windows, freshly installed or pre-installed, it has basically everything an average user needs without any third party apps.

    It has Edge & IE to browse Internet and read PDF files, Groove to play music, Films & TV to watch and stream videos, Mail and Skype to manage your communications, Cortana to find help, People to manage your contacts, WordPad & Notepad to create text documents, OneNote to make notes, and whatnot. I know several basic users who have no need for any third party apps.

    Astonishingly well done Microsoft!

    Kari
    Well then as stated, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who knows maybe MS's market share in Phones will rise above the 0.01% that is projected in 2020. They cannot and will never compete with The Iphone, Ipad and all the rest of The "I" product line.:)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,786
    Windows 10 Pro
       16 Jul 2017 #233

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Well then as stated, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who knows maybe MS's market share in Phones will rise above the 0.01% that is projected in 2020. They cannot and will never compete with The Iphone, Ipad and all the rest of The "I" product line.:)
    Absolutely, completely, most profoundly illogical argument to defend "Please no apps" policy!

    It's precisely the amount and availability of apps both in Google Play and App Store that makes Android and iPhone so popular. Technically, comparing features, usability and functions, especially the synergy if the user also has Windows 10, Windows Mobile is clearly ahead of its competitors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Jul 2017 #234

    Kari said: View Post
    Absolutely, completely, most profoundly illogical argument to defend "Please no apps" policy!

    It's precisely the amount and availability of apps both in Google Play and App Store that makes Android and iPhone so popular. Technically, comparing features, usability and functions, especially the synergy if the user also has Windows 10, Windows Mobile is clearly ahead of its competitors.
    If this were so why the projected very very low market share. Say if GM's market share was that low they would be out of business. I prefer Aps that I like and could install and not apps that MS thinks I must have.:)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,786
    Windows 10 Pro
       16 Jul 2017 #235

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    If this were so why the projected very very low market share. Say if GM's market share was that low they would be out of business. I prefer Aps that I like and could install and not apps that MS thinks I must have.:)
    And that because you are more important than most users, Microsoft should listen you and not the majority of the average users who like to be able to do almost anything without installing any additional apps? Your needs and requirements should be the way they should make Windows, not those of majority of users?

    I do not believe any user needs and uses all built-in apps. I don't, at least. But the fact that I do not use Films & TV app to give an example does in no way make me think that it should not be included in Windows. I can understand, really well, that some users might need and use it, find it good. I do not think that I am important enough to demand that because I don't use that app, it should not be included in Windows at all.

    Films & TV app is still on my Start Menu, it's not uninstalled although i(being 100% honest) I have never used it since some first preview builds end of 2014. It being on Start does not disturb me a bit, it takes so insignificant amount of storage space, it simply has absolutely no effect on me or my Windows usage.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Jul 2017 #236

    Kari said: View Post
    And that because you are more important than most users, Microsoft should listen you and not the majority of the average users who like to be able to do almost anything without installing any additional apps? Your needs and requirements should be the way they should make Windows, not those of majority of users?

    I do not believe any user needs and uses all built-in apps. I don't, at least. But the fact that I do not use Films & TV app to give an example does in no way make me think that it should not be included in Windows. I can understand, really well, that some users might need and use it, find it good. I do not think that I am important enough to demand that because I don't use that app, it should not be included in Windows at all.

    Films & TV app is still on my Start Menu, it's not uninstalled although i(being 100% honest) I have never used it since some first preview builds end of 2014. It being on Start does not disturb me a bit, it takes so insignificant amount of storage space, it simply has absolutely no effect on me or my Windows usage.

    Kari
    Every user should have a choice as to what to use or not use. This decision should not be made by MS. I am no more important than any user and for you to suggest such a thing is beyond ridiculous !/

    ri·dic·u·lous
    rəˈdikyələs/
    adjective
    adjective: ridiculous

    • deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd.
      "when you realize how ridiculous these scenarios are, you will have to laugh"
      synonyms: laughable, absurd, comical, funny, hilarious, risible, droll, amusing, farcical, silly, ludicrous; Morerarederisible
      "she looked ridiculous in her dad's oversized shorts and striped socks"



      senseless, silly, foolish, foolhardy, stupid, inane, fatuous, childish, puerile, half-baked, harebrained, cockamamie, ill-thought-out, crackpot, idiotic
      "a ridiculous suggestion"



      absurd, preposterous, ludicrous, risible, laughable, nonsensical, senseless, outrageous
      "a ridiculous exaggeration"


      antonyms: serious, sensible, reasonable
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Fabler2's Avatar
    Posts : 526
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Pro
       16 Jul 2017 #237

    Trying to clone a 300GB spinner to a 60GB SSD. Macrium fails and also MiniTools.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clone failed.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	144203

    Might the problem be that the enclosure I use is USB 3 as this latest old Toshiba laptop (I aquired) only supports USB 2?

    The image shows the drive's state after a failed clone. It's initialised and shows in both programs prior to copying.
    Last edited by Fabler2; 16 Jul 2017 at 09:57. Reason: Further info
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,170
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       16 Jul 2017 #238

    Kari said: View Post
    You didn't understand that my post about Windows Alphabet Editions were a joke, a parody? You thought that for instance the last paragraphs in it were meant to be taken serious?
    At first, I thought you were serious, Kari, but after the second or third paragraph, I was laughing.

    Hmmmm, maybe you could create something in PowerShell that we could use to get rid of what we don't like in one fell swoop?

    Kari said: View Post
    Anyway, a joke it was although I am serious with the topic: it is in my opinion not correct to complain about this or that app being included in Windows 10; it would be an impossible task for Microsoft if each of hundreds of millions Windows users would have right to get a tailor made Windows experience, just those features and apps they need / prefer / use, everything else removed.

    Kari
    Here, I'm a little different from you, Kari. I wish Microsoft wouldn't throw in those things I don't want or would never use, like facebook, games and a few other crap apps.

    As a f'r instance, I made the mistake (since corrected) of getting a 14" laptop with a 32GB drive. That extraneous junk that was installed made it impossible to update Windows 10. And once it had barfed, there was no reinstalling Windows! I took the first one back, thinking it was just a lemon, but when the second one did the same thing, I got my money back.

    Edit: Forgot my train of thought here . . . With newer computers coming with less and less hard drive space, more and more folks will have the same problem I had. If the crapware weren't included, maybe they'd have a better experience.

    So, yeah, I do wish we could get Windows 10 with nothing more than what we need; IOW, no crapware. That could be gotten from the Store if one wanted it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    16 Jul 2017 #239

    Fabler2 said: View Post
    Trying to clone a 300GB spinner to a 60GB SSD. Macrium fails and also MiniTools.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clone failed.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	144203

    Might the problem be that the enclosure I use is USB 3 as this latest old Toshiba laptop (I aquired) only supports USB 2?

    The image shows the drive's state after a failed clone. It's initialised and shows in both programs prior to copying.
    You have not heard initialised the SSD assuming that is drive 1. Right click on the box where it says disk 1 unknown in your picture, and select mbr. Then format as NTFS.

    TThen things should work ok.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Related Threads
829827700969787392 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15031 for Mobile - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
781177126569455616 Update: Early version of UWP File Explorer app found in build 14936. Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14936 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
738201854929047552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14356 | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.
Find Us