1. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,422
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       22 Jul 2015 #1

    No Start Menu and App Sync for Windows 10


    One of the features I really liked in Windows 8/8.1 was the ability to sync the layout of my Start Screen between devices that used the same Microsoft Account. Right alongside of that feature there was also the ability to install an app on one device and then have that app show up on other machines that used the same Microsoft Account.

    The app sync was very handy because for most of us if we are going to use an app on one device we are most likely going to use it on our other ones. Once it was installed on one machine all you had to do was go to the All Apps screen on your other devices and tap on the tile to begin the download/install.

    New apps also appeared on all of your Start Screens if you placed a tile for that application there and you could also easily install it with a single tap on the tile as you used other devices.

    Unfortunately, I have confirmed with a Microsoft spokesperson that both of these features are being deprecated in Windows 10.

    With Windows 8.1 and initial Windows 10 feedback we found that customers typically want to personalize the Start layout to match the device they are using. With the new Windows Store, scalability of universal Windows apps is fully supported across all of your devices. This means that customers can get their apps and settings available across all of their devices and still create custom Start tile layouts that make the most sense for each device and screen size.

    Read more: No Start Menu and App Sync for Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows



      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 16,453
    Windows 10
       22 Jul 2015 #2

    Thanks for the info

    I was just thinking today how I could prevent the start menu syncing between my tablet and laptop as they will be used differently.
    Now I know that they won't sync anyway
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586
       22 Jul 2015 #3

    Oh good Lord, that's going to be a potential problem for me.... :| That's how I set up new installs of 8.1 on PCs, there's a customized experience I set up to make it nicer to use and showcase what 8.1 was all about. Siiiiiigggghhhh....

    Sysprep better not suck on 10. It took me literally three months to figure out how to get File Explorer tiles and other Desktop tiles to stay pinned to Start after a DISM deployment. The solution was a dummy Microsoft Account to sign into, sync the Start Screen and apps, and update all the apps as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 423
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Jul 2015 #4

    I think the option should be for us to decide, especially where apps are concerned.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    23 Jul 2015 #5

    TERRIBLE!

    When I saw this on some blogs this morning I immediately went to the feedback app and typed start sync.

    Upvoted all the requests for the start sync because it is absolutely ridiculous that they would remove a key feature that helps makethings universal. If people are wanting it different on other machines, give the option to turn it off not remove something that was working perfectly fine on 8.1. That's why there's an on/off setting. Why have a sync menu if there is nothing to sync. Totally dumb move if true.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,905
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       23 Jul 2015 #6

    paulsalter said: View Post
    Thanks for the info

    I was just thinking today how I could prevent the start menu syncing between my tablet and laptop as they will be used differently.
    Now I know that they won't sync anyway
    Coke Robot said: View Post
    Oh good Lord, that's going to be a potential problem for me.... :| That's how I set up new installs of 8.1 on PCs, there's a customized experience I set up to make it nicer to use and showcase what 8.1 was all about. Siiiiiigggghhhh....

    Sysprep better not suck on 10. It took me literally three months to figure out how to get File Explorer tiles and other Desktop tiles to stay pinned to Start after a DISM deployment. The solution was a dummy Microsoft Account to sign into, sync the Start Screen and apps, and update all the apps as well.
    sygnus21 said: View Post
    I think the option should be for us to decide, especially where apps are concerned.
    EMINENT said: View Post
    TERRIBLE!

    When I saw this on some blogs this morning I immediately went to the feedback app and typed start sync.

    Upvoted all the requests for the start sync because it is absolutely ridiculous that they would remove a key feature that helps makethings universal. If people are wanting it different on other machines, give the option to turn it off not remove something that was working perfectly fine on 8.1. That's why there's an on/off setting. Why have a sync menu if there is nothing to sync. Totally dumb move if true.
    I Know even more people here will be disappointed/angry about this decision. This is why I tell people to always make sure they allow OS/software to send the meta data to the developer. If you checked "No" in CEIP settings in Windows(previous versions) it's your fault something you like is gone. I always allow them access to my meta data:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	25506
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    23 Jul 2015 #7

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I Know even more people here will be disappointed/angry about this decision. This is why I tell people to always make sure they allow OS/software to send the meta data to the developer. If you checked "No" in CEIP settings in Windows(previous versions) it's your fault something you like is gone. I always allow them access to my meta data:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	25506
    I've been participating from the beginning. So, totally dumb. Had this setting enabled on both my machines when they were on 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,905
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       23 Jul 2015 #8

    Most people turn it off though, the few, like us, that leave it turned on are the only feedback they get, sadly. It's especially the power users and geeks that turn it off, the ones who actually use what gets lost in the end(a generalizing statement, I know).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 16,453
    Windows 10
       23 Jul 2015 #9

    I have always had the experience program turned on with my devices and with win 8 happily had it syncing all my start screens between them

    with the changes in 10, I will be wanting different start screens and do not want them to sync, tablet mode on tablet and standard start menu on laptop

    I do agree an option on this would be best, not just remove the feature
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,207
    Windows 10 IoT
       23 Jul 2015 #10

    I turn off syncing Start Screen Tile layouts. If I don't they constantly get shuffled when I go from my laptop to my desktop. Two different sized screens. Syncing installed Apps though I find useful. Leaving the option selectable but the default to off might have been a better option though, IMHO Oh well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen
This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen. You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial 5538 Start Menu 5539
Customization
Not able to search executables or pinned Start apps from Start menu
I'm running the RTM on a netbook and have noticed that, unlike in Windows 7/8/8.1, I'm no longer able to hit Start and type in an executable. I have a bunch of portable apps that I typically type in and pull up. Now, the Start menu search pulls up...
General Support
Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums