Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16215 PC + 15222 Mobile Insider

Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Jun 2017 #521

    Cliff S said: View Post
    In my case I have an M.2 PCIe NVMe(which does NOT show up in BIOS in SATA mode), and only need to switch my BIOS temporarily from SATA to RAID(chipset contains the needed IRST drivers, but needs to be set to RAID to use them) to install Win10(then the disk also will show up in BIOS).
    PCIe NVMe is a SCSI disk and Win10 has basic NVMe drivers(later I install the Samsung ones). After install I can go back to BIOS and switch to SATA if I want.
    Attachment 139248
    from here

    Attachment 139249
    or from here
    By the way, just using RAID drivers, without setting a RAID up, works just fine, you then don't need NVMe drivers(already tested it once).

    But Dick, just to expand on what you need to do:

    For F6 driver injection: http://download.intel.com/support/ch...user_guide.pdf (start at 5.2)
    Thanks, Cliff. I already have the drivers-from-hell scenario figured out. The one twist on my end.....Dell recently updated the BIOS for Alienware from 1.04 to 1.05, and (Like Redmond??) somewhat botched the guts of EFI & Secure Boot. They (Dell) have the NVMe as RAID and cannot be changed in the BIOS. So, the whole trick is to fake-out their fake-out to make everything think it's happy. The Dell engineers, after numerous back-and-forth, finally admitted to me that maybe, perhaps, kinda, likely that they were a bit too aggressive with the new BIOS 1.05.

    Long story short, I have good workarounds and they are going back to the drawing board on that BIOS.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Jun 2017 #522

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    @f14tomcat

    Thanks for the info, TC. Did you ever find out why your new system drive configuration was set up the way it is?
    @HippsieGypsie
    What do you mean by system drive configuration?
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 13 Jun 2017 at 05:49.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    13 Jun 2017 #523

    Back to Wifi,
    The screenshots posted by HG, on the highligthed error code 37 the more interesting line is 2 above
    Device NOT migrated

    Had this on mine too but went even further in testing- physically removed/reinstalled the card .
    That didnt work either, also tried multiple other drivers, (some known to work on it)
    Had a driver problem on this wifi card - T77H355 00 hf base for this is the RT 5390 - for the last 10 builds or so MS kept throwing the wrong driver at it, after trial and error found a couple of workable ones.

    Roy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Jun 2017 #524

    cereberus said: View Post
    I would call it the "Get down and grovel" build. This build is such a disaster, they have probably lost a significant portion of Insiders who will not use Fast Ring any more.

    Sure we have to expect the unexpected, especially on new features, but it is still a REASONABLE expectation that it installs ok and things that work ok on old build will (mostly) work on new build.
    I think Microsoft is responsible for making sure each build will install properly on an average system. We can't do our job unless they do theirs. They stumbled big time with 16215. This coming immediately after the unintended release of 16212 makes me wonder if they have deeper problems than we are aware of.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    13 Jun 2017 #525

    CountMike said: View Post
    I have no 3rd party SW that has anything to do with system or are running on auto and all the time and still it wouldn't install directly but did from .ISO I made at that time. With exactly same setup there was no problems updating for very long time.
    I have tons of third-party software installed, and every new build I install is an upgrade on top of the last one... I find Defender perfectly adequate for my AV/Malware, though. The 16215 build installed first time without incident, upgraded in top of 16199. My chief use of Windows, in fact, is as a gateway to lots of third-party software & hardware...by itself--well--it is more or less a doorstop for me. I really can't take Edge--Firefox DE x64 works far better in 16215 than Edge. Hopefully, Edge will continue to improve, but I'm just not interested, atm. The strength of Windows is its backwards compatibility with 3rd-party software and hardware, imo. If Microsoft was to break that--well, Windows would rapidly lose its popularity--not because as an OS Win10 is a poor OS, because it isn't. It's just that it would stop being such a useful OS if it broke backwards compatibility. IMO, of course...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Jun 2017 #526

    larc919 said: View Post
    I think Microsoft is responsible for making sure each build will install properly on an average system. We can't do our job unless they do theirs. They stumbled big time with 16215. This coming immediately after the unintended release of 16212 makes me wonder if they have deeper problems than we are aware of.
    I understand the frustration you feel when a build won't install--but that's what happens when you beta test. These builds are not meant for prime time, but Microsoft has done such a good job of late that people have become accustomed to every new build installing as if it is a release-candidate build. Sometimes that's not going to happen--that's the way of it. I often think of dropping out of the Insider's program when something is frustrating me--and I may yet do it myself. But then the curiosity would kill me, I think, and I'd have to jump back in. Beta-testing is taking the good and the bad in stride, imo...;)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,641
    Win 10 Pro x64
       13 Jun 2017 #527

    larc919 said: View Post
    I think Microsoft is responsible for making sure each build will install properly on an average system. We can't do our job unless they do theirs. They stumbled big time with 16215. This coming immediately after the unintended release of 16212 makes me wonder if they have deeper problems than we are aware of.
    I don't think it's a big deal if you are using insider OS the way it's meant to be used or if you do your own homework before each build. I am talking about image backups.
    If the new build breaks everything or won't go through, you can casually call it quits and restore back to previous build like nothing happened.
    I restored back to 16199 after a successful update to 16215 just to find out if I just got lucky. But it succesfully installed again the second time around.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Jun 2017 #528

    badrobot said: View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal if you are using insider OS the way it's meant to be used or if you do your own homework before each build. I am talking about image backups.
    If the new build breaks everything or won't go through, you can casually call it quits and restore back to previous build like nothing happened.
    I restored back to 16199 after a successful update to 16215 just to find out if I just got lucky. But it succesfully installed again the second time around.
    Do you have a link to this OEM, Please? Badrobot Junk Systems, Inc.

      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    13 Jun 2017 #529

    waltc said: View Post
    I understand the frustration you feel when a build won't install--but that's what happens when you beta test. These builds are not meant for prime time, but Microsoft has done such a good job of late that people have become accustomed to every new build installing as if it is a release-candidate build. Sometimes that's not going to happen--that's the way of it. I often think of dropping out of the Insider's program when something is frustrating me--and I may yet do it myself. But then the curiosity would kill me, I think, and I'd have to jump back in. Beta-testing is taking the good and the bad in stride, imo...
    It's not possible to beta test unless the build installs and the mere basics work as they should. I think they are 2 areas we have every right to expect Microsoft to attend to before they release new builds to us.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4,641
    Win 10 Pro x64
       13 Jun 2017 #530

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Do you have a link to this OEM, Please? Badrobot Junk Systems, Inc.

    Haha.. l'll send my contact info... lol...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Related Threads
847575696255864833 847208261287682050 846876148277555200 844957996446724097 844006426661933057 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile - Windows Experience Blog
790991162647547904 790962075874922496 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14955 for Mobile and PC | Windows Experience Blog PC:
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
740589771232137220 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14361 | Windows Experience Blog PC:
685579851160408064 Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.63 - The latest update is similar to cumulative updates and does not bring any new features. However, the update is expected to bring some bug fixes, as well as some under the hood changes. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36.
Find Us