Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
  1.    11 Jun 2017 #401
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,966
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by wen View Post
    Quote From Dona:
    • ADDED 6/9: Some Insiders have reported having their installation of this build getting stuck or hung at around 33%. If this happens to you, you will need to restart your PC and have it rollback to Build 16199 and wait for the next build with a fix.
    Hmmm.... Guess they figured out there may be "issues" with this one. Gollllllll-eeeeee!

    Not gonna read back thru 400 posts to find out, but has anyone noticed, if you get that far, that it's impossible to change the Lock Screen pic? A VM actually upgraded ok (no doubt because it didn't have to deal with messed up boot issues), but Lock Screen change is busted. Did two (2) clean installs, different accounts, with the ISO I made. Both, busted Lock Screen pic change. Well....there's always Patch Tuesday to look forward to in a couple days!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    11 Jun 2017 #402
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,566
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alkaufmann View Post
    Don't be so sad, at least Microsoft gave you two a choice.
    They did???? And what might that be?

    I ain't agonna stop my Insider Preview!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 Jun 2017 #403
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 513
    10x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    MS should do what they did in 1995 with Norton, they just bought it and do same with Macrium and incorporate Reflect into system.
    Close, but no cigar...;) Symantec still retains and owns Norton's to this day--actually, the company Microsoft bought whose AV product later became Defender was an obscure (relatively speaking at the time) AV company --I owned it, actually, and the only reason I remember it is because Microsoft bought it back then when I was using it...;) It was a small company but its AV program got rave reviews, especially compared to Norton's. For a couple of years, Microsoft sold "Defender" (I think it was the Microsoft Live Subscription back then--but I surely could be wrong as it's been awhile) before incorporating it into Windows. Thank goodness they did *not* buy Norton's! Ugh! Norton's is only slightly better than McAfee, imo, which is horrid--either program is like pouring tree sap into the software in your computer--gums up the works, nicely, lots of false positives, etc. That's just my opinion, certainly. But I thought you might be interested--I'll bet Brink knows the name of the AV Company Microsoft bought--I just can't recall it except to say I *know* it wasn't Norton's...;)

    I'm not sure from memory if this is the company, but here's a link:

    Microsoft to Acquire Antivirus Technology From GeCAD Software - News Center

    Also, and this is aimed at people other than the Count, I'd recommend people activate the traditional control panel in 16215--because lots of the stuff they think isn't present in this build still is...so this calls for the obligatory screen shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cpanel16215.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	139032
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 Jun 2017 #404
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,360
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    ......has anyone noticed, if you get that far, that it's impossible to change the Lock Screen pic?......
    I found it glitchy but eventually it worked.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    11 Jun 2017 #405
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,360
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I found it glitchy but eventually it worked.
    I did notice though, manually setting Lock Screen, (WinKey+L), only stays up for 3 seconds then goes to the sign in screen!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    11 Jun 2017 #406
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 388
    Windows 10 PRO 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    They did???? And what might that be?

    I ain't agonna stop my Insider Preview!
    You managed to install 16215 and choose to go back to 16199. I never got to try 16215. :-(
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    11 Jun 2017 #407
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,430
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Can't remember clearly any more but beta of Win95 had some parts of Norton utilities incorporated. When official W95 came out, those parts were missing. As internet was practically non existent, only later I found out why. MS had a fall out with Norton but bought that part of the company shortly after. I remember waiting in front of a store in Toronto until 2AM when sales started, went home and spent rest of the night installing it instead of my beta version. That's when I found out that some parts and utilities were missing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    11 Jun 2017 #408
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,966
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    Close, but no cigar... Symantec still retains and owns Norton's to this day--actually, the company Microsoft bought whose AV product later became Defender was an obscure (relatively speaking at the time) AV company --I owned it, actually, and the only reason I remember it is because Microsoft bought it back then when I was using it... It was a small company but its AV program got rave reviews, especially compared to Norton's. For a couple of years, Microsoft sold "Defender" (I think it was the Microsoft Live Subscription back then--but I surely could be wrong as it's been awhile) before incorporating it into Windows. Thank goodness they did *not* buy Norton's! Ugh! Norton's is only slightly better than McAfee, imo, which is horrid--either program is like pouring tree sap into the software in your computer--gums up the works, nicely, lots of false positives, etc. That's just my opinion, certainly. But I thought you might be interested--I'll bet Brink knows the name of the AV Company Microsoft bought--I just can't recall it except to say I *know* it wasn't Norton's...

    I'm not sure from memory if this is the company, but here's a link:

    Microsoft to Acquire Antivirus Technology From GeCAD Software - News Center

    Also, and this is aimed at people other than the Count, I'd recommend people activate the traditional control panel in 16215--because lots of the stuff they think isn't present in this build still is...so this calls for the obligatory screen shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cpanel16215.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	385.4 KB 
ID:	139032
    Is it on this list somewhere?

    List of mergers and acquisitions by Microsoft - Wikipedia
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    11 Jun 2017 #409
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,566
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alkaufmann View Post
    You managed to install 16215 and choose to go back to 16199. I never got to try 16215. :-(
    Neither did I, Al. It busted my WiFi connection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 Jun 2017 #410
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Mountains of Western NC
    Posts : 295
    Win 10 Pro x64 17040 Skippy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I am working with a more elegant 100% working solution now, got the idea when thinking the workaround I posted more thoroughly. It still needs testing but looks good, kind of "Clean install Insider build upgrade keeping your user profiles, user data and installed software".

    Confusing title, yes, clean installing with users, data and apps intact but that's basically how it works.
    Had a lot to do this morning after messing with 16215 for three days so have not got to try your work around yet. Got a fresh ISO ready after a good SoftwareDistribution file cleaning out. I think I may wait for your more 'elegant' work around or may just give it a go anyway. We'll see.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile
847575696255864833 847208261287682050 846876148277555200 844957996446724097 844006426661933057 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile - Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14955 for Mobile and PC
790991162647547904 790962075874922496 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14955 for Mobile and PC | Windows Experience Blog PC:
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14361 for PC and Mobile
740589771232137220 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14361 | Windows Experience Blog PC:
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.63
685579851160408064 Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.63 - The latest update is similar to cumulative updates and does not bring any new features. However, the update is expected to bring some bug fixes, as well as some under the hood changes. ...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums