Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
  1.    11 May 2017 #231
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,596
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    @count - Yes, I've been with Legacy BIOS most of my life - since early 80's also. Knew my way around with legacy, but - even though I have a portable that is UEFI bios, I do not dual boot it. So haven't had problems with it. This computer has ASUS mobo, which I'm not familiar with. I have to do some reading in motherboard manual to see what is what.
    Strange that you're having problems, Magilla. This computer came with UEFI and I've had no problems adjusting to it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 May 2017 #232
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,862
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I don't have this:
    Attachment 133488
    Here it's like this:
    Attachment 133489
    Do you have search or Cortana turned off?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 May 2017 #233
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,071
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    @tomcat, thanks for your vote of confidence. I have some reading to do first -- maybe I'll just restore my original disk remove the insider install and leave the second disk empty --- but seems such a shame. I had this system build to my specs with two 1 GB SSD drives just so I could have another system with Insider builds on it.
    Don't you dare give up that easy! Changing the boot order is simple, you just have to find the setting in BIOS. Booting first to the ipv4 or ipv6 is un-natural.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    11 May 2017 #234
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,454
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    Do you have search or Cortana turned off?
    No, I didn't have anything turned off but Cortana is back anyway.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    11 May 2017 #235
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,862
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    No, I didn't have anything turned off but Cortana is back anyway.
    It shows in settings now as well?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    11 May 2017 #236
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,454
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    It shows in settings now as well?
    Yes. it's there now, it was never missing in taskbar.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    11 May 2017 #237
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Hartselle
    Posts : 478
    Windows 10 Pro 16299.64

    @f14tomcat is right do not give up. He is also a little wrong. UEFI can be a real bear especially for the uninitiated. The first thing to do is to make sure Windows is booting using UEFI and most likely from a GPT style partition. Can you boot into Windows at all? If you can boot into Windows, please post a screenshot of Disk Management.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    11 May 2017 #238
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,278
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by tracit99 View Post
    @f14tomcat is right do not give up. He is also a little wrong. UEFI can be a real bear especially for the uninitiated. The first thing to do is get Windows to boot using UEFI and from most likely a GPT style partition. Can you boot into Windows at all? If you can boot into Windows, please post a screenshot of Disk Management.
    @tracit99 - yes, I have been messing around (that's what I call it when there is little scientific basis for what I'm doing) and I now have rearrange the boot order and some other settings and now have a dual boot screen. I thank all of you for you support.
    Thanks @tomcat, Thanks @CountMike, thanks @Wynona. I guess I'm so old school I want a legacy bios back in a new computer and it ain't gonna happen!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    11 May 2017 #239
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,278
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Don't you dare give up that easy! Changing the boot order is simple, you just have to find the setting in BIOS. Booting first to the ipv4 or ipv6 is un-natural.
    Thanks for your support and encouragement -- I'm up and running after resetting everything and re-running Macrium Reflect I now have a dual boot system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 May 2017 #240
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,071
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    @tracit99 - yes, I have been messing around (that's what I call it when there is little scientific basis for what I'm doing) and I now have rearrange the boot order and some other settings and now have a dual boot screen. I thank all of you for you support.
    Thanks @tomcat, Thanks @CountMike, thanks @Wynona. I guess I'm so old school I want a legacy bios back in a new computer and it ain't gonna happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Thanks for your support and encouragement -- I'm up and running after resetting everything and re-running Macrium Reflect I now have a dual boot system.
    Super! (time permitting....do a backup)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile
UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile
751899204184924160 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile
723527224192692229 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums