Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1.    10 May 2017 #221
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    There are so many ways to get things going in Windows 10, that I guess I'm flummoxed, Magilla. Have you tried any of the four options?

    If you have, then I guess your best bet would be a clean install.
    Thanks for your suggestions and help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 May 2017 #222
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,953
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    My only problem is that I installed the insider build and updated it to current. But, My boot menu is not present, so I can't select one or the other drives to boot. Don't understand - but this is UEFI computer so I think that may be the issue. I am not familiar with UEFI so I am going to have to get someone to help me. It keeps booting to the Windows Creators drive and doesn't give me a menu to select an alternate system/drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    See if this will help, Magilla.

    Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

    I think this is the one that helped me get out of your situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    But I don't have a menu. And msconfig only lists one system. Never had this problem with legacy bios
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    There are so many ways to get things going in Windows 10, that I guess I'm flummoxed, Magilla. Have you tried any of the four options?

    If you have, then I guess your best bet would be a clean install.
    @magilla

    The Boot Records appear to be messed up and BCDDATA does not include an entry for the Insider, for whatever reason. When there is only one OS "seen" by Boot Manager, you will not get a boot menu. 3 solutions I can offer that would not require a clean install (in increasing order of complexity):

    1. Get Macrium Reflect (should already be using this, IMO), make a Rescue thumb or DVD, boot from it and choose "Fix Boot Records".

    2. Get EasyBCD, and carefully add the correct partition that is missing to the BCDDATA, and choose use "Metro/Modern Boot Menu".

    3. Manually using CMD prompt and command bcdedit, enter all the necessary data exactly as it needs to be, making sure everything points correctly to the proper partitions and all spelling is perfect.


    I prefer the first.

    TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    11 May 2017 #223
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    @magilla

    The Boot Records appear to be messed up and BCDDATA does not include an entry for the Insider, for whatever reason. When there is only one OS "seen" by Boot Manager, you will not get a boot menu. 3 solutions I can offer that would not require a clean install (in increasing order of complexity):

    1. Get Macrium Reflect (should already be using this, IMO), make a Rescue thumb or DVD, boot from it and choose "Fix Boot Records".

    2. Get EasyBCD, and carefully add the correct partition that is missing to the BCDDATA, and choose use "Metro/Modern Boot Menu".

    3. Manually using CMD prompt and command bcdedit, enter all the necessary data exactly as it needs to be, making sure everything points correctly to the proper partitions and all spelling is perfect.


    I prefer the first.

    TC
    @tomcat, Thanks for your suggestions. I do have Macrium purchased version. So that will probably be the easiest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 May 2017 #224
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    @ Tomcat:
    I did boot repair with Macrium 7.
    Before this, I was told by someone else to add this command to boot

    bcdboot D:\Windows /d /addlast

    The problem now is at each boot, I see this:
    >>Checking Media Presence . . . .
    >>Media Present . . .
    >>Start PXE over IPv4
    then another Asus mobo boot before I get to the boot menu.

    The time to get from one boot screen to alternate boot is 4 minutes now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    11 May 2017 #225
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,953
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    @ Tomcat:
    I did boot repair with Macrium 7.
    Before this, I was told by someone else to add this command to boot

    bcdboot D:\Windows /d /addlast

    The problem now is at each boot, I see this:
    >>Checking Media Presence . . . .
    >>Media Present . . .
    >>Start PXE over IPv4
    then another Asus mobo boot before I get to the boot menu.
    I have no idea what that is. Looks like it's trying to boot or do something () over the internet. Better find that "someone" and ask how to deal with it, or maybe somebody else knows.



    Just a thought......check your bios settings and make sure the HDD/SSD is first. Might be listed as "Boot Manager", followed by the ipv4 and ipv6.
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 11 May 2017 at 07:00.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    11 May 2017 #226
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Thanks@Tomcat. This is Uefi bios and has become my new dream system from he**! Give me old fashioned bios. Yes the boot order is internet first. I am looking at as us mobo manual to see how to change order. Only God and builder knows why set up that way, and why boot drive is second in system and not first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    11 May 2017 #227
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,426
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Thanks@Tomcat. This is Uefi bios and has become my new dream system from he**! Give me old fashioned bios. Yes the boot order is internet first. I am looking at as us mobo manual to see how to change order. Only God and builder knows why set up that way, and why boot drive is second in system and not first.
    I'm fan of legacy BIOS too, this is my first UEFI I owned. There are settings for things I never even heard of and I'm playing and working on/with PCs since '80s. The thing is, UEFI has more stuff than it would work with legacy BIOS.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    11 May 2017 #228
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,953
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Thanks@Tomcat. This is Uefi bios and has become my new dream system from he**! Give me old fashioned bios. Yes the boot order is internet first. I am looking at as us mobo manual to see how to change order. Only God and builder knows why set up that way, and why boot drive is second in system and not first.
    It's not hard to change. Just check.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    11 May 2017 #229
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I'm fan of legacy BIOS too, this is my first UEFI I owned. There are settings for things I never even heard of and I'm playing and working on/with PCs since '80s. The thing is, UEFI has more stuff than it would work with legacy BIOS.
    @count - Yes, I've been with Legacy BIOS most of my life - since early 80's also. Knew my way around with legacy, but - even though I have a portable that is UEFI bios, I do not dual boot it. So haven't had problems with it. This computer has ASUS mobo, which I'm not familiar with. I have to do some reading in motherboard manual to see what is what.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 May 2017 #230
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,274
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    It's not hard to change. Just check.
    @tomcat, thanks for your vote of confidence. I have some reading to do first -- maybe I'll just restore my original disk remove the insider install and leave the second disk empty --- but seems such a shame. I had this system build to my specs with two 1 GB SSD drives just so I could have another system with Insider builds on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile
UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile
751899204184924160 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile
723527224192692229 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums