Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16188 PC and 15210 Mobile Insider

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 28,505
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17650
    Thread Starter
       05 May 2017 #130

    rogerwilco91 said: View Post
    This should be obvious. We just got a build on Thursday!
    Obvious, but now officially confirmed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    05 May 2017 #131

    cereberus said: View Post
    The old ways of disabling it work again - see tutorial


    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Thank you! That worked on 16188!
    However, it doesn't work on my Windows 10 AU tablet. (see more below)

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Waddaya mean, Edwin? For safety, yes? WinKey/L locks it when you walk away. One key stroke or mouse click gets it to sign-in screen. How difficult is that?...
    Here is the most poignant example:
    I have an 11.6" Windows 10 tablet. I use it in portrait mode at Church to follow along with all the liturgy, etc., while I'm running the Audio/Video system.
    An 11.6" tablet in portrait mode calls for a fairly large and accurate swipe, if you don't get it the first time, you're swipin again, (lookin like an idiot!)
    Often we must stand; if I must, I will hold the tablet in my right hand, with my left hand on the mixing board......
    I want to conserve my battery so I leave the screen timeout at 60 seconds, but then I probably have to free up my left hand and swipe again!
    When I have the tablet in my right hand, the Home button is conveniently located close to my forefinger, which I could discretely press to re-illuminate the screen as I left it, if necessary, (as you can with Android devices!)
    I don't need the extra measure of security, (what ever that entails), I don't need tips or notifications on the Lock Screen, or any of that stuff!
    I simply don't need or want a Lock Screen so I think there should be an option to disable it!
    That's my story and I'm stickin with it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 May 2017 #132

    Edwin said: View Post
    Thank you! That worked on 16188!
    However, it doesn't work on my Windows 10 AU tablet. (see more below)



    Here is the most poignant example:
    I have an 11.6" Windows 10 tablet. I use it in portrait mode at Church to follow along with all the liturgy, etc., while I'm running the Audio/Video system.
    An 11.6" tablet in portrait mode calls for a fairly large and accurate swipe, if you don't get it the first time, you're swipin again, (lookin like an idiot!)
    Often we must stand; if I must, I will hold the tablet in my right hand, with my left hand on the mixing board......
    I want to conserve my battery so I leave the screen timeout at 60 seconds, but then I probably have to free up my left hand and swipe again!
    When I have the tablet in my right hand, the Home button is conveniently located close to my forefinger, which I could discretely press to re-illuminate the screen as I left it, if necessary, (as you can with Android devices!)
    I don't need the extra measure of security, (what ever that entails), I don't need tips or notifications on the Lock Screen, or any of that stuff!
    I simply don't need or want a Lock Screen so I think there should be an option to disable it!
    That's my story and I'm stickin with it!
    ost tablets do no differentiate between screen off and sleep mode and only use sleep mode in effect.

    On a pc, screen off mode leaves pc running but on a tablet, they just sleep. The tutorial option which involves task scheduler should work but I has issues post AU with it.

    I have now upgraded to CU version and since .250 upgrade, I can get rid of the lock screen using simpler options in tutorial.

    So image backup tablet with Macrium Reflect Free to sd card or usb stick (long story but trust me Macrium is the RIGHT tool here from tests I did a while back).

    Then upgrade to CU version, and then you will be able to get rid of it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 May 2017 #133

    cereberus said: View Post
    ost tablets do no differentiate between screen off and sleep mode and only use sleep mode in effect.

    On a pc, screen off mode leaves pc running but on a tablet, they just sleep. The tutorial option which involves task scheduler should work but I has issues post AU with it.

    I have now upgraded to CU version and since .250 upgrade, I can get rid of the lock screen using simpler options in tutorial.

    So image backup tablet with Macrium Reflect Free to sd card or usb stick (long story but trust me Macrium is the RIGHT tool here from tests I did a while back).

    Then upgrade to CU version, and then you will be able to get rid of it.
    Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow.
    I bricked this cheap tablet once already upgrading it from Home to Pro and putting on the Insider Program! (Dealer gave me a new one!)
    I'll run the Upgrade Assistant and see if it works. I hope so!
    Thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,364
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17643/Windows Server IP Build 17623/Debian Unstable Ker
       05 May 2017 #134

    But it is interesting that build 16189 was posted as canary to buildfeed the same day that build 16188. Had never seen that before
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,688
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       06 May 2017 #135

    Waste Of Time


    Since attempting to update to b16184 destroyed my b16170, I was forced to unzip a b15063 backup and then attempt to update to b16188.
    Unsurprisingly, it failed (80004005 again).
    At least it didn't destroy the VM network card this time.

    The Troubleshooters (local and downloaded) did nothing.
    DISM couldn't fix it (it refused to accept a Source location).
    SFC said there were no issues at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 May 2017 #136

    cereberus said: View Post
    If you create multiple windows 10 installations, by default they are called Windows 10 on volume n and that volume is displayed on the boot menu. In other words, drive letters are mot used at all - only volume numbers (and could be on completely different drives). The currently booted drive is always C. The letter for the other drives can be more random.

    Hiding drives in a given installation by removing drive letters only hides them in that installation.
    Just as matter of interest because I multi boot from different physical drives, what happens to UEFI partition when doing it on one HDD/SSD ? Do you get one for each OS or it uses only one from first OS ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    06 May 2017 #137

    CountMike said: View Post
    Just as matter of interest because I multi boot from different physical drives, what happens to UEFI partition when doing it on one HDD/SSD ? Do you get one for each OS or it uses only one from first OS ?
    If dual boot is setup properly, you only ever get one efi partition even if you have one drive with separate partitions or with two or more drives (real or virtual).

    If you have an efi with each OS on separate drives, that is not a dual boot system but separate single boot systems. Here you would have to select which drive to boot from in bios.

    Only minor downside to dual boot with separate drives is if you remove drive with efi partition, the other drive will not boot (easy enough to fix though).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    06 May 2017 #138

    cereberus said: View Post
    If dual boot is setup properly, you only ever get one efi partition even if you have one drive with separate partitions or with two or more drives (real or virtual).

    If you have an efi with each OS on separate drives, that is not a dual boot system but separate single boot systems. Here you would have to select which drive to boot from in bios.

    Only minor downside to dual boot with separate drives is if you remove drive with efi partition, the other drive will not boot (easy enough to fix though).
    OK, I was just wandering, latecomer to UEFI. Right now I have 2 SSDs, one each with W10 CU and Insider version of it, both with own UEFI partition. I set BIOS to boot from first SSD and made start menu with EasyBCD to choose between them and third disk with Linux (non-UEFI for now). That works all right but while updating to 16188, it tried to update second SSD with non-insider version so I had to disconnect it for it to finish. I'll take that non insider windows off boot order and clean it up for other uses. Gonna try W7 with UEFI on it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    06 May 2017 #139

    Edwin said: View Post
    New on my machine in 'Add a feature':

    Attachment 133593
    I tried installing it but it doesn't seem to install. I enabled developer mode in case it required that but no dice.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
    751899204184924160 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
    723527224192692229 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34.
    Find Us