Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16184 PC and 15208 Mobile Insider

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 19,215
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #270

    Wynona said:
    I generally leave both printers on all the time. That way everything seems to be intact when I want to use one.

    I GOT RID OF THE NOTICE FOR MY INKJET!

    Since I was restarting anyway, I broke down and gave it the Yellow cartridge it was whining for and it has now quit begging! I have never had this kind of notification from a printer before! Sure, when I started to print, and it needed ink, it would notify me, but not when I wasn't even remotely thinking about printing! Sheesh!
    What a crybaby of a printer !! Shedding ink at every opportunity.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #271

    CountMike said:
    What a crybaby of a printer !! Shedding ink at every opportunity.
    I'm not so sure it's the printer itself, Count. Until I installed Build 16184, it never asked for ink until it needed it to print something. I don't think it's the drivers either, because when I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, I used the same driver package as the last time I installed it.

    I think somehow Windows got itself confused.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #272

    CountMike said:
    What a crybaby of a printer !! Shedding ink at every opportunity.


    Wynona said:
    I'm not so sure it's the printer itself, Count. Until I installed Build 16184, it never asked for ink until it needed it to print something. I don't think it's the drivers either, because when I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, I used the same driver package as the last time I installed it.

    I think somehow Windows got itself confused.
    Most likely it's Windows Action Center's notifications reacting to the printer driver. Notifications is getting quite sophisticated. e.g. I have a drive utility that upon boot notifies that it's up and running. On my 8.1 it's a pop out balloon from the Taskbar's system tray aka notification area. In my 10 it comes via Action Center's notifications upon boot, which makes sense.

    I bet that yellow ink cartridge isn't empty either?
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 19,215
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #273

    HippsieGypsie said:




    Most likely it's Windows Action Center's notifications reacting to the printer driver. Notifications is getting quite sophisticated. e.g. I have a drive utility that upon boot notifies that it's up and running. On my 8.1 it's a pop out balloon from the Taskbar's system tray aka notification area. In my 10 it comes via Action Center's notifications upon boot, which makes sense.

    I bet that yellow ink cartridge isn't empty either?
    Them stupid sensors on cartridges, they put then on so you can't fill them up but have to buy new ones. With cheaper inkjets set of cartridges can cost more than whole printer. There are devices that can reset either cartridge or printer so you can refill them yourself. In addition factory cartridges are not filled as far as you can do it yourself. Here we have services that get over those restrictions and refill them at fraction of cost of new ones. That could be done 10 times or more if cartridge has print head on it and even more times if it's just a reservoir and print head is on printer carriage. There are also kits that let you connect cartridges with external tanks by thin hoses and are easy to refill while they hold much more ink than normal ones.
      My Computers


  5. wen
    Posts : 273
    WINDOWS 10 PRO INSIDER PREVIEW
       #274

    Wynona said:
    I saw that, Marty. Sounds good when it happens. However, Jason said issues wouldn't be fixed in whichever Build they release.
    So most of us can expect non-working MS Outlook 2016 once again ????
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #275

    CountMike said:
    Them stupid sensors on cartridges, they put then on so you can't fill them up but have to buy new ones. With cheaper inkjets set of cartridges can cost more than whole printer. There are devices that can reset either cartridge or printer so you can refill them yourself. In addition factory cartridges are not filled as far as you can do it yourself. Here we have services that get over those restrictions and refill them at fraction of cost of new ones. That could be done 10 times or more if cartridge has print head on it and even more times if it's just a reservoir and print head is on printer carriage. There are also kits that let you connect cartridges with external tanks by thin hoses and are easy to refill while they hold much more ink than normal ones.
    I hear you, Count. Forcing us to buy new cartridges of their make. Why? Ink has one of the most inflated prices of any material. As much as $8,000/gal according to the article below. They probably make more money off supplies than they do the printers themselves.

    This is a 2007 article.

    A Boston man has filed a class-action lawsuit accusing hardware maker HP and office supply retailer Staples of colluding to inflate the price of printer ink cartridges in violation of federal antitrust law. According to the suit, HP allegedly paid Staples $100 million to refrain from selling inexpensive third-party ink cartridges, although the suit doesn't make it clear how plaintiff Ranjit Bedi arrived at that figure.

    For most printer companies, ink is the bread and butter of their business. The price of ink for HP ink-jet printers can be as much as $8,000 per gallon, a figure that makes gas-pump price gouging look tame. HP is currently the dominant company in the printing market, and a considerable portion of the company's profits come from ink.
    More here: $8,000-per-gallon printer ink leads to antitrust lawsuit | Ars Technica

    I'm wondering if the cartridge sensor numbers are recorded in the driver or the Registry.....
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #276

    wen said:
    So most of us can expect non-working MS Outlook 2016 once again ????
    That I don't know, Wen, since the flaws weren't identified.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #277

    HippsieGypsie said:




    Most likely it's Windows Action Center's notifications reacting to the printer driver. Notifications is getting quite sophisticated. e.g. I have a drive utility that upon boot notifies that it's up and running. On my 8.1 it's a pop out balloon from the Taskbar's system tray aka notification area. In my 10 it comes via Action Center's notifications upon boot, which makes sense.

    I bet that yellow ink cartridge isn't empty either?
    Well, it's as empty as it can get, Hippsie. I start getting warnings about the time it's half empty until it just won't print any more.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #278

    HippsieGypsie said:
    I hear you, Count. Forcing us to buy new cartridges of their make. Why? Ink has one of the most inflated prices of any material. As much as $8,000/gal according to the article below. They probably make more money off supplies than they do the printers themselves.

    This is a 2007 article.

    More here: $8,000-per-gallon printer ink leads to antitrust lawsuit | Ars Technica

    I'm wondering if the cartridge sensor numbers are recorded in the driver or the Registry.....
    Hmmm, something to think about . . . wonder where I'd start to find it?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 25,646
    Windows 11 Pro 22000.708
       #279

    What the heck is this about?

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16184 PC and 15208 Mobile-ms-build.png
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums