Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available


  1. Posts : 11,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #2131

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    New Start menu is not a punch and go with the keyboard as the Start screen is. Start menu is terrible to navigate. Page up/down and Home/End doesn't work in it. In 8.1 Ctrl/Tab gets me to All apps screen instantly from Start screen. No digging/scrolling through All apps menu.
    Press the Win key, one click to open All Apps. In my opinion that's not slow nor difficult. When in All Apps menu, the Page Up / Down, Home and End buttons work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Aug 2015 #2132

    Kari said: View Post
    Press the Win key, one click to open All Apps. In my opinion that's not slow nor difficult. When in All Apps menu, the Page Up / Down, Home and End buttons work.

    Too easy for some people.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Aug 2015 #2133

    Kari said: View Post
    Press the Win key, one click to open All Apps. In my opinion that's not slow nor difficult. When in All Apps menu, the Page Up / Down, Home and End buttons work.
    It's a lot slower than Windows 8.x though, especially for folks like me that would prefer to use the keyboard to the mouse and who don't have particularly fast hardware.

    This aspect of Windows 10 is a step backwards.

    Rocky said: View Post
    Too easy for some people.
    It's too slow. Easyness isn't the issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #2134

    DavidY said: View Post
    It's a lot slower than Windows 8.x though, especially for folks like me that would prefer to use the keyboard to the mouse and who don't have particularly fast hardware.

    This aspect of Windows 10 is a step backwards.
    I have no issues in using the Start Menu with keyboard only. Press Win key to open it, press down arrow once to select your username on top left. Now down / up arrow to move on the left pane, Enter to select, right arrow to move over to Start (right pane).

    Totally usable completely without mouse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Aug 2015 #2135

    Kari said: View Post
    I have no issues in using the Start Menu with keyboard only. Press Win key to open it, press down arrow once to select your username on top left. Now down / up arrow to move on the left pane, Enter to select, right arrow to move over to Start (right pane).

    Totally usable completely without mouse.
    That's much harder work than typing "<WinKey>Notepad" or whatever in Windows 8.1.

    For one thing I can do that without needing to wait for the screen to update.

    I think on your method I'd need to look at the screen to see how many times to click the arrows (which will vary from computer to computer) but 'Notepad' is always spelt the same on every one regardless of what software is installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 25,383
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       09 Aug 2015 #2136

    Kari said: View Post
    Press the Win key, one click to open All Apps. In my opinion that's not slow nor difficult. When in All Apps menu, the Page Up / Down, Home and End buttons work.
    Thanks, Kari. Actually WinKey then Up arrow then Enter opens All apps section and, yes those keys you listed work there. I'm speaking in the tile section equivalent to the Start screen is what I should have stated. Much better in 8.1 IMO.

    To add, a lot more shortcut keys in 8.1 than in any other OS, including 10.

    Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcut Keys List

    Keyboard shortcuts - Windows Help


    When in the last link > Keyboard shortcuts in Windows > New keyboard shortcuts > to see 10's
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 25,383
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       09 Aug 2015 #2137

    Kari said: View Post
    I have no issues in using the Start Menu with keyboard only. Press Win key to open it, press down arrow once to select your username on top left. Now down / up arrow to move on the left pane, Enter to select, right arrow to move over to Start (right pane).

    Totally usable completely without mouse.
    Not saying it isn't "unsable" without a mouse. Just not as fast.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,206
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #2138

    DavidY said: View Post
    That's much harder work than typing "<WinKey>Notepad" or whatever in Windows 8.1.

    For one thing I can do that without needing to wait for the screen to update.

    I think on your method I'd need to look at the screen to see how many times to click the arrows (which will vary from computer to computer) but 'Notepad' is always spelt the same on every one regardless of what software is installed.
    Really David? Windows 10 is not as good as Windows 8.1 because in Windows 8.1 you only need to press the Win key and type Notepad, whereas in Windows 10 you need to press Win + R and type Notepad? That extra key press, R with Win key to be able to type in to Run dialog is too much?

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Thanks, Kari. Actually WinKey then Up arrow then Enter opens All apps section and, yes those keys you listed work there. I'm speaking in the tile section equivalent to the Start screen is what I should have stated. Much better in 8.1 IMO.
    You need to press up or down arrow in Start Menu to get the keyboard controls but then one press of right arrow takes you to the right pane, the Start and you can use arrow keys to select items. How difficult that really is?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 25,383
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       09 Aug 2015 #2139

    DavidY said: View Post
    That's much harder work than typing "<WinKey>Notepad" or whatever in Windows 8.1.

    For one thing I can do that without needing to wait for the screen to update.

    I think on your method I'd need to look at the screen to see how many times to click the arrows (which will vary from computer to computer) but 'Notepad' is always spelt the same on every one regardless of what software is installed.
    WinKey/S then start typing works quick.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    09 Aug 2015 #2140

    Winkey or no Winkey, still don't like it. How I get there changes nothing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since...
Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
For all of you that are frustrated with Win 10 not updating, go to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7565-optional-features-manage-windows-10-a.html Settings---->System---->Apps&Features---->Manage Optional features and then add "insider...
Solved Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade? in Installation and Upgrade
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO?
failed activation Windows 10 Build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
first of all excuse for my english and explanation even on my own language i'm bad at this this is what happened. i have problem with upgrading 10166 to 10240 every-time i restart my pc after it finished downloading the build from windows...
Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all! I have been reading through the forums for the past couple days after installing the Windows 10 Enterprise TP 10074 on a laptop here at work. I ran through the activation and setup of a MS account on that build and then ran Windows updates....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:25.
Find Us