Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available

  1.    01 Aug 2015 #1911

    Try Screen Melt. Download it HERE
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,586
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       01 Aug 2015 #1912
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 25,496
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       01 Aug 2015 #1913

    Disclaimer: This post is by no means meant to promote piracy and/or bootlegging. It is indeed illegal to do so and no one should not participate in such activities.


    Wynona said: View Post
    Really!? So, they get a bootlegged copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 and disconnect from the Internet to upgrade to Windows 10?

    And they justify it by saying the owner companies charges too much . . . which is the exact reason everything's so high in the first place.

    But, that's not really the case, Wyn. It's quite the opposite. Seems strange I know. It's one of the factors included in the marketing science of pricing by companies. A principle of Capitalism.

    I remember a thread over at 8F where this subject came up and I posted something similar to your post. Some members knowing much more than I at the time explained how piracy/bootlegging does indeed keep the pricing down. The principle is that companies will cap products at a higher price so as much as the market will absorb. e.g. Apple has a certain market niche. The prices set are aimed at those with an above average income level, but low enough to where someone whom it would be a luxury might go ahead and by one of their products. A fine line in the marketing science of pricing. Same with piracy/bootlegging. They keep it low enough so people aren't tempted to piracy/bootleg as much and can afford to buy it, but high enough so as to turn a good profit. If it were not for piracy/bootlegging the price would be so high that it would not be affordable to many, so therefore many would be left without.

    In this case it's bootlegging. I'm quite sure MS knew all the facts way ahead of time. I think they're giving away 10 for a year in an attempt to "capture" (for lack of a better word) those that would prirate a copy, get them to use 10, and make money off them in other ways such as nickel/dime Store apps, services, ads, etc. > The lower-end items. I also like to think that for those of us that do get genuine copies that MS is rewarding us for the loyalty to Windows, although they'll also make money on us with the lower-end items and/or even the higher-priced products.

    The price of a legitement 10 as it stands today is $199.99 for Pro edition and $119.99 for Home edition within the MS online store as of today. I'll be watching what it may rise to in a year. I set a reminder via Cortana in my Calendar app to do so.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,229
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Aug 2015 #1914

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    In this case it's bootlegging. I'm quite sure MS knew all the facts way ahead of time. I think they're giving away 10 for a year in an attempt to "capture" (for lack of a better word) those that would prirate a copy, get them to use 10, and make money off them in other ways such as nickel/dime Store apps, services, ads, etc. > The lower-end items. I also like to think that for those of us that do get genuine copies that MS is rewarding us for the loyalty to Windows, although they'll also make money on us with the lower-end items and/or even the higher-priced products.
    In my opinion we shouldn't forget the fact that each user now getting Windows 10 for free helps MS to make it more popular, get higher in statistics and in that way help to sell 10 to the corporate world. In my eyes it looks as if MS has knowingly made the getting 10 for free and activating it now, at least for the first year, quite easy and at the same time they are expecting revenue from those users who want a boxed paid for version, but the main focus is to increase the market share of a new OS in such a speed I believe we have not seen before.

    The revenue comes in the future if and as I believe when this plan works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Aug 2015 #1915

    HippsieGypsie & Kari , Most astute observations of real life in the Microsoft world that I have heard (read) publicly expressed.

    In myself it does not encourage piracy. I would rather have a boxed version of any OS (except Linux) that I am running.

    Your posts are keenly appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       01 Aug 2015 #1916

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    if I get these phone calls I would merely say "Go and XXXX a Duck" and put the phone down. You know what rhymes with DUCK. !!! You won't get bothered again.
    They ring here every few months and claim that my housemate's Windows PC is infected.
    When I tell them he uses (Arch) Linux there is silence for a few seconds and then they hang up.

    Wynona said: View Post
    And they justify it by saying the owner companies charges too much . . . which is the exact reason everything's so high in the first place.
    simrick said: View Post
    wow. just wow. So, if China were to pay for all their OS software, we would probably be paying $30 for it here instead of $120....wow...
    Extremely unlikely (as the Music Industry has proven).

    Music prices dropped as a result of the "Mass Piracy Era":
    • Pre-piracy: 10 track CD $30 (~$3/track)
    • Post-piracy: 10 track CD $9.99 (~$-0.99/track)

    I have also seen studies that indicate people who pirate music often also buy more music than the average consumer.

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    I remember a thread over at 8F where this subject came up and I posted something similar to your post. Some members knowing much more than I at the time explained how piracy/bootlegging does indeed keep the pricing down. The principle is that companies will cap products at a higher price so as much as the market will absorb. e.g. Apple has a certain market niche. The prices set are aimed at those with an above average income level, but low enough to where someone whom it would be a luxury might go ahead and by one of their products. A fine line in the marketing science of pricing. Same with piracy/bootlegging. They keep it low enough so people aren't tempted to piracy/bootleg as much and can afford to buy it, but high enough so as to turn a good profit. If it were not for piracy/bootlegging the price would be so high that it would not be affordable to many, so therefore many would be left without.

    In this case it's bootlegging. I'm quite sure MS knew all the facts way ahead of time. I think they're giving away 10 for a year in an attempt to "capture" (for lack of a better word) those that would prirate a copy, get them to use 10, and make money off them in other ways such as nickel/dime Store apps, services, ads, etc. > The lower-end items. I also like to think that for those of us that do get genuine copies that MS is rewarding us for the loyalty to Windows, although they'll also make money on us with the lower-end items and/or even the higher-priced products.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 01 Aug 2015 at 21:24. Reason: Additional
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,236
    W10Prox64
       01 Aug 2015 #1917

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    ...[snip]... In this case it's bootlegging. I'm quite sure MS knew all the facts way ahead of time. I think they're giving away 10 for a year in an attempt to "capture" (for lack of a better word) those that would prirate a copy, get them to use 10, and make money off them in other ways such as nickel/dime Store apps, services, ads, etc. > The lower-end items. I also like to think that for those of us that do get genuine copies that MS is rewarding us for the loyalty to Windows, although they'll also make money on us with the lower-end items and/or even the higher-priced products.
    Let's not forget the WaaS model. Their intention to support for "Life of the Device", and to add certain new features at a price in the future. I have seen the beancounter PowerPoint presentation "delaying" the realised revenue. We really have no idea what they will spring on us in a few years. (I am not being cynical, just being realistic.)

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    The price of a legitement 10 as it stands today is $199.99 for Pro edition and $119.99 for Home edition within the MS online store as of today. I'll be watching what it may rise to in a year. I set a reminder via Cortana in my Calendar app to do so.


    Kari said: View Post
    In my opinion we shouldn't forget the fact that each user now getting Windows 10 for free helps MS to make it more popular, get higher in statistics and in that way help to sell 10 to the corporate world. In my eyes it looks as if MS has knowingly made the getting 10 for free and activating it now, at least for the first year, quite easy and at the same time they are expecting revenue from those users who want a boxed paid for version, but the main focus is to increase the market share of a new OS in such a speed I believe we have not seen before.

    The revenue comes in the future if and as I believe when this plan works.
    You are right - they are intent on uber-dominating the market again, in record time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Aug 2015 #1918

    groze said: View Post
    @alphanumeric

    You know where I could get that screen saver? Does it work for both 7 & 10?


    @CountMike


    You know where I could get that screen saver as well? Does it work for both 7 & 10?
    Atari only Atari ST with TOS to be exact. sorry they are out of business at least 25 years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Aug 2015 #1919

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Still sounds fishy to me? What you described sounds just like the phone scam. Like I said, there should not have been any charge for that call. Can you post a link to the site you did the upgrade from? I just want to confirm that it is a real Microsoft site.
    I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but the call and service cost nothing.

    The cost was for a proposed safety service to stop the problem recurring.

    It occurred to me afterwards that what he may have detected as my data being hacked from my ISP Bigpond, was a service I set up recently with Bigpond called Telstra Air. This service allows me or my sons to access my Bigpond data from any Telstra public phone or FON hotspot by connecting to the hotspot via a mobile phone. It requires my ADSL2 modem on my landline at home to be turned on.

    That saves myself and sons from using our data on our mobile phone plans.

    This is a link to the MS web site where I got the Media Creation Win 10 download link.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    I finally got the upgrade loaded onto my computer with Win 8.1 installed on it, but only with a bit of manipulation.

    I installed a backup image of bare bones installation of Win8.1, and that failed. So I changed the product key to my original Win8 key. And then ran the ISO DVD from the desktop optical drive.

    Before it started it offed to download updates, and I skipped this step. It then loaded straight off. Not sure if it was the changed product key or skipping the updates that fixed the problem.

    It's interesting but that's twice I've rung tech support for MS and Telstra respectively, using bona fide contact support phone Nos. Both times I got an off shore tech support guy and they were either from the Phillipines or India maybe?

    The Telstra techo suggested I subscribe to an annual service to block hackers, which would be added to my monthly phone account. I declined and next day phoned Telstra in Aussie and spoke to an Aussie techo. He said the other guy was wrong and all I needed to do was switch my modem off for 10 seconds, then back on again to get a new IP address as mine is dynamic. Apparently by leaving my modem on and not being used for long periods of time, the Bigpond ISP system detected it as being vulnerable to attack, and blocked me receiving emails from my Yahoo mail address.
    Last edited by Mustang; 02 Aug 2015 at 11:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Aug 2015 #1920

    Hey guys since this is about win 10 update how can i upgrade my kids Hp that has windows vista on it to win 10 ? thanks all and have a glorious day.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since...
Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
For all of you that are frustrated with Win 10 not updating, go to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7565-optional-features-manage-windows-10-a.html Settings---->System---->Apps&Features---->Manage Optional features and then add "insider...
Solved Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade? in Installation and Upgrade
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO?
failed activation Windows 10 Build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
first of all excuse for my english and explanation even on my own language i'm bad at this this is what happened. i have problem with upgrading 10166 to 10240 every-time i restart my pc after it finished downloading the build from windows...
Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all! I have been reading through the forums for the past couple days after installing the Windows 10 Enterprise TP 10074 on a laptop here at work. I ran through the activation and setup of a MS account on that build and then ran Windows updates....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:50.
Find Us