Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available


  1. Posts : 782
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       30 Jul 2015 #1691

    Wynona said: View Post
    Magilla, there are occasionally those computers that just will not upgrade. I have a Windows 7 computer that took the Windows 8 upgrade just fine, but when I tried to put Windows 8.1 on it, it wouldn't install. You may have one of those.
    I would like for my 8.1 computer to upgrade but so far it has a list of 10 failed updates in the Windows Update dialog box, and my GWX still saying it is ready and will be updated soon.......I have an iso ready and am seriously thinking of updating it with the iso. Other members have reported success with this approach and programs/apps remaining intact.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jul 2015 #1692

    brummyfan said: View Post
    I'm still waiting for the notification from MS
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've not had any of my 3 PC's notify me that the update was ready to install. In fact, as posted earlier, on my Windows 8.1 desktop, the Windows 10 update nag icon has mysteriously disappeared, and there's no BT folder installed on it. It seems like the machine was completely ignored.

    Anyway I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as I'll just install 10 from my thumb drive that was used with media creation tool. This is how I did it on my laptop and everything went very smoothly.

    At any rate I'm just wondering why no one seems to have gotten this notification we're supposed to get. Perhaps Microsoft's servers are overwhelmed?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2015 #1693

    Try the following (worked for me on my SP3, and a second windows tablet running 8.1. Both activated. . .Good Luck. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jul 2015 #1694

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've not had any of my 3 PC's notify me that the update was ready to install. In fact, as posted earlier, on my Windows 8.1 desktop, the Windows 10 update nag icon has mysteriously disappeared, and there's no BT folder installed on it. It seems like the machine was completely ignored.

    Anyway I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as I'll just install 10 from my thumb drive that was used with media creation tool. This is how I did it on my laptop and everything went very smoothly.

    At any rate I'm just wondering why no one seems to have gotten this notification we're supposed to get. Perhaps Microsoft's servers are overwhelmed?
    I tend to blame it on MS servers but on activation part. I guess they are still crunching data as to who is eligible for upgrade. Download servers are coping just fine it seems, there was not much delay as I expected. Upgrade files downloaded pretty fast but now I and many others are waiting for confirmation to proceed with upgrade.
    I can make short work of it and upgrade on my own but still waiting to see how long it might take for MS to give me go ahead. As I have on other drive perfectly good 10 insider edition which is exactly same as this upgrade, I'm not in too much hurry. Once that upgrade from 8.1 to 10 goes thru I will switch SSDs where those 2 are installed because 8.1 is on larger one right now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jul 2015 #1695

    Lee said: View Post
    Try the following (worked for me on my SP3, and a second windows tablet running 8.1. Both activated. . .Good Luck. . .
    Those are the procedures I used, which also links to the media creation tool, which as I said, was used to update my laptop
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jul 2015 #1696

    CountMike said: View Post
    I tend to blame it on MS servers but on activation part. I guess they are still crunching data as to who is eligible for upgrade. Download servers are coping just fine it seems, there was not much delay as I expected. Upgrade files downloaded pretty fast but now I and many others are waiting for confirmation to proceed with upgrade.
    I can make short work of it and upgrade on my own but still waiting to see how long it might take for MS to give me go ahead. As I have on other drive perfectly good 10 insider edition which is exactly same as this upgrade, I'm not in too much hurry. Once that upgrade from 8.1 to 10 goes thru I will switch SSDs where those 2 are installed because 8.1 is on larger one right now.
    Not sure how they're still crunching the numbers as to eligibility as I'm quite sure they know whether you're eligible as soon as you hit the reserve button. Remember, your system was "scanned" for software/hardware compatibility, so...

    Anyway I'm not In any hurry as I can simply use my thumb drive now for the update. I was just curious as to how the "automatic" process worked, and how long it took/takes. This is why I'm still letting my Win 7 machine sit and wait
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jul 2015 #1697

    I upgraded it last night .. only took 30mins .. I had to tweak around for task bar ...
    BTW ... In the recovery It says I only have 1 month option to go back to 8.1 ...
    If I want to use cortana .. I have to sign-in my Hotmail .. DON'T LIKE THIS AT ALL ...
    My WIFI is now kind of acting weird after upgrade ..???
    Oh .. Edge brower is faster than IE .. good thing ... I will use it for awhile before dumping Chrome ..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Jul 2015 #1698

    Xps13w10 said: View Post
    I upgraded it last night .. only took 30mins .. I had to tweak around for task bar ...
    BTW ... In the recovery It says I only have 1 month option to go back to 8.1 ...
    If I want to use cortana .. I have to sign-in my Hotmail .. DON'T LIKE THIS AT ALL ...
    My WIFI is now kind of acting weird after upgrade ..???
    Oh .. Edge brower is faster than IE .. good thing ... I will use it for awhile before dumping Chrome ..
    Yes you have only 30 days to change your mind and return to previous windows you upgraded from, should be enough time to make your mind up.
    For Cortana it's obvious, it works thru MS, somebody has to provide data for it to do anything otherwise it would be like my mother-in-law, just nag and do nothing good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Jul 2015 #1699

    CountMike said: View Post
    Yes you have only 30 days to change your mind and return to previous windows you upgraded from, should be enough time to make your mind up.
    For Cortana it's obvious, it works thru MS, somebody has to provide data for it to do anything otherwise it would be like my mother-in-law, just nag and do nothing good.
    Hehe, when they become your mother-in-law, naggin' is their only job.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       30 Jul 2015 #1700

    CountMike said: View Post
    Yes you have only 30 days to change your mind and return to previous windows you upgraded from, should be enough time to make your mind up.
    For Cortana it's obvious, it works thru MS, somebody has to provide data for it to do anything otherwise it would be like my mother-in-law, just nag and do nothing good.
    You actually have more than 30 days. After or on the 30th day you won't be able to roll back. You will need to restore from an image backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since...
Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
For all of you that are frustrated with Win 10 not updating, go to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7565-optional-features-manage-windows-10-a.html Settings---->System---->Apps&Features---->Manage Optional features and then add "insider...
Solved Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade? in Installation and Upgrade
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO?
failed activation Windows 10 Build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
first of all excuse for my english and explanation even on my own language i'm bad at this this is what happened. i have problem with upgrading 10166 to 10240 every-time i restart my pc after it finished downloading the build from windows...
Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all! I have been reading through the forums for the past couple days after installing the Windows 10 Enterprise TP 10074 on a laptop here at work. I ran through the activation and setup of a MS account on that build and then ran Windows updates....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53.
Find Us