Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 10240 for PC is now available

  1.    29 Jul 2015 #1541

    sgage said: View Post
    Both my 7 and 8.1 installations downloaded the ~BT folder yesterday. Today, after hours of nothing, I decided to download the official ISO. I can't swear it's cause and effect, but shortly after I commenced downloading the ISO, the ~BT folder was drained of everything except for what looks like a recovery setup. This happened on both systems (I had to download the ISO for both Pro and Home). WTF? I really wanted to see how the upgrade was going to work, and now I'm afraid I have.
    My laptop shows 4.2 GB Windows ~BT folder, haven't downloaded an ISO on it. The GWX App says almost ready. My desktop shows 338 KB now after downloading an ISO via the media creation tool. The Windows ~BT folder isn't a hidden folder anymore either. The GWX App is still at validating and has been that way for hours. I'm going to be really pissed if that ISO download hosed that folder and screwed my upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2015 #1542

    sgage said: View Post
    Both my 7 and 8.1 installations downloaded the ~BT folder yesterday. Today, after hours of nothing, I decided to download the official ISO. I can't swear it's cause and effect, but shortly after I commenced downloading the ISO, the ~BT folder was drained of everything except for what looks like a recovery setup. This happened on both systems (I had to download the ISO for both Pro and Home). WTF? I really wanted to see how the upgrade was going to work, and now I'm afraid I have.
    Validating process is stuck I think, I too emptied folders and got it to force it to download everything again but no joy, There's not much they (MS) have to do now, just to validate that everything is kosher and let me upgrade. They have my subscription for years now as I signed in with same ID since XP and used hotmail as least that long.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jul 2015 #1543

    CountMike said: View Post
    Keep it in insider ring if you can, more excitement like that, there's no indication that it might become too troublesome.
    I want to qualify it and do the free upgrade, just don't know for sure if I can now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2015 #1544

    is anyone still seeing 10240.16393 in regedit or just me
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       29 Jul 2015 #1545

    CountMike said: View Post
    Validating process is stuck I think, I too emptied folders and got it to force it to download everything again but no joy, There's not much they (MS) have to do now, just to validate that everything is kosher and let me upgrade. They have my subscription for years now as I signed in with same ID since XP and used hotmail as least that long.
    I don't have any idea what's going on. I don't know if the ~BT file will re-download, or if it somehow links to the ~WS folder created by the ISO download, or what all. I guess I don't really care all that much, either - I've got the ISO's I need. But I really did want to see the automatic upgrade thingy work - I think it's confused as heck now, and I don't expect it to ever sort itself out on my systems. Oh well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jul 2015 #1546

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I want to qualify it and do the free upgrade, just don't know for sure if I can now?
    Somebody enlighten me please if I'm wrong but... Either one keeps as insider and keeps updating as update come or sign out of insider ring and it will eventually expire. Otherwise either you trade W7 or 8.1 or buy license for it. For me, it's clear, keeping insider version on one and if it ever gets upgraded on 8.1 disk, have a full version there. My 8.1 is running almost perfect, so no real hurry to upgrade it, just wandering what's keeping them so long to validate it and upgrade to 10. I need at least one super stable system, be it 8.1 or 10, the other one I can play with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jul 2015 #1547

    CountMike said: View Post
    Somebody enlighten me please if I'm wrong but... Either one keeps as insider and keeps updating as update come or sign out of insider ring and it will eventually expire. Otherwise either you trade W7 or 8.1 or buy license for it. For me, it's clear, keeping insider version on one and if it ever gets upgraded on 8.1 disk, have a full version there. My 8.1 is running almost perfect, so no real hurry to upgrade it, just wandering what's keeping them so long to validate it and upgrade to 10. I need at least one super stable system, be it 8.1 or 10, the other one I can play with.
    I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to build 10074. Then each build after that too 10240. If your install was an upgrade from a genuine Windows 7 sp1 or 8.1 install I "should" be able to exit out of the insiders program and switch to the consumer release without reinstalling anything. I was expecting some kind of announcement saying now is the time to do it etc? Or a notification in the insiders preview, maybe in the action center etc. Haven't seen anything. I've opted out anyway, still shows activated. Haven't checked to see if my key changed yet though, its on my to do list though. Everything else seems to have come to a grinding halt on my other PC's upgrading via the GWX App.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Jul 2015 #1548

    So when is the next insider build coking Release day is boring. Though I had to laugh at a friend who called asking if she had a virus, after W10 installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       29 Jul 2015 #1549

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to build 10074. Then each build after that too 10240. If your install was an upgrade from a genuine Windows 7 sp1 or 8.1 install I "should" be able to exit out of the insiders program and switch to the consumer release without reinstalling anything. I was expecting some kind of announcement saying now is the time to do it etc? Or a notification in the insiders preview, maybe in the action center etc. Haven't seen anything. I've opted out anyway, still shows activated. Haven't checked to see if my key changed yet though, its on my to do list though. Everything else seems to have come to a grinding halt on my other PC's upgrading via the GWX App.
    I was also expecting some guidance from MS today about the choices Insiders might have. My Windows 10 is upgraded from a valid Windows 8.1 installation. Do I just stop taking new builds (option in Windows Update/Advanced), and that's that, I'm good to go on the release version, all licensed and activated and product-keyed for the duration? Or do I have to formally drop out of Insiders some how? The S/N ratio throughout this upgrade period has been rather feeble... oh well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       29 Jul 2015 #1550

    @alphanumeric

    I am sure you know how to do this. I think you need to do install any updates listed on 7/29/15. Then opt out of receiving insider build, let it boot up. Check for more updates. Then check your version number. Then see if it is permanently activated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since...
Remedy for Windows 10 not updating to build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
For all of you that are frustrated with Win 10 not updating, go to: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7565-optional-features-manage-windows-10-a.html Settings---->System---->Apps&Features---->Manage Optional features and then add "insider...
Solved Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade? in Installation and Upgrade
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO?
failed activation Windows 10 Build 10240 in Windows Updates and Activation
first of all excuse for my english and explanation even on my own language i'm bad at this this is what happened. i have problem with upgrading 10166 to 10240 every-time i restart my pc after it finished downloading the build from windows...
Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all! I have been reading through the forums for the past couple days after installing the Windows 10 Enterprise TP 10074 on a laptop here at work. I ran through the activation and setup of a MS account on that build and then ran Windows updates....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:56.
Find Us