How SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 43
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #10

    Three months ago I replaced the 1Tb HDD in my laptop with a 240Gb Kingston HyperX savage SSD by clonning via the macrium reflect. Since I have read this article before, so I turned off some services, pagefile and also hibernation. In the case of hibernation there is no need of it when using ssd since the startup is fast enough. And for the pagefile, by turning it off I could free up about 8Gb on my SSD and it is important for me because I have some heavy softwares and I need some space on my storage. I have no problem at all with this configuration except one thing. I couldn't play the free forza motor sport 6 on windows 10 because of low memory and I think that if I had pagefile on then maybe I could play the game because I have the minimum hardware required to run the game.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 13,689
    Windows10
       #11

    Omidz 10 said:
    Three months ago I replaced the 1Tb HDD in my laptop with a 240Gb Kingston HyperX savage SSD by clonning via the macrium reflect. Since I have read this article before, so I turned off some services, pagefile and also hibernation. In the case of hibernation there is no need of it when using ssd since the startup is fast enough. And for the pagefile, by turning it off I could free up about 8Gb on my SSD and it is important for me because I have some heavy softwares and I need some space on my storage. I have no problem at all with this configuration except one thing. I couldn't play the free forza motor sport 6 on windows 10 because of low memory and I think that if I had pagefile on then maybe I could play the game because I have the minimum hardware required to run the game.
    Your reasons for disabling pagefile and hibernation have nothing to do with the original post which is about wear and tear on an SSD. Your reasons are simply that your SSD is not big enough for your needs.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 26,395
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #12

    One thing one might want to do, if you have re-imaged from a HDD to SSD, or cloned, is check if your partitions are properly aligned:

    1. Hit the Windows key or icon.
    2. Type System Information
    3. Go to Components > Storage > Disks.
    4. How SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer-image.png
    5. Look for your drive and find the "Partition Starting Offset". If this number is divisible by 4096 (that is, if dividing it by 4096 reveals a whole number and not a decimal), your partition is correctly aligned.
    6. How SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer-image.png
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,096
    win 10
       #13

    This guy should find something to write about where he has some actual knowledge. It's like he just came out of a time warp from 10 years ago, lol.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 26,395
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #14

    doorules said:
    This guy should find something to write about where he has some actual knowledge. It's like he just came out of a time warp from 10 years ago, lol.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 26,395
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #15

    The one thing on ALL SSD tweak articles that I always find missing is:
    Backup your files(to an offline disk)!
    Which should be done anyhow...
    Regardless of what type of disk you use.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 13,689
    Windows10
       #16

    Cliff S said:
    One thing one might want to do, if you have re-imaged from a HDD to SSD, or cloned, is check if your partitions are properly aligned:

    1. Hit the Windows key or icon.
    2. Type System Information
    3. Go to Components > Storage > Disks.
    4. How SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer-image.png
    5. Look for your drive and find the "Partition Starting Offset". If this number is divisible by 4096 (that is, if dividing it by 4096 reveals a whole number and not a decimal), your partition is correctly aligned.
    6. How SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer-image.png
    Why make it so complicated?

    What do you do if you find it is not aligned?

    Simply use Minitool Partition Wizard Free (everbody should have this great tool). Select Disk, Align All Partitions.

    It will almost certainly say all partitions are aligned - it is donkey's years since software did not do this automatically. If not aligned, it then aligns it for you.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 26,395
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #17

    cereberus said:
    Why make it so complicated?

    What do you do if you find it is not aligned?

    Simply use Minitool Partition Wizard Free (everbody should have this great tool). Select Disk, Align All Partitions.

    It will almost certainly say all partitions are aligned - it is donkey's years since software did not do this automatically. If not aligned, it then aligns it for you.
    I don't use 3rd party tools for simple things that I can do in Windows:)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 13,689
    Windows10
       #18

    hi
    Cliff S said:
    I don't use 3rd party tools for simple things that I can do in Windows:)
    So how do you align them if you find it is not aligned?
    Last time I did that, from memory, it was a real PITA.

    Personally, I find minitool partition wizard the second most useful tool after Macrium Reflect.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,368
    Windows 11 Pro
       #19

    This one always just kills me: "Or if you're on a desktop with an SSD as its primary drive and a secondary hard drive, it's best to move the Page File to the hard drive and disable it on the SSD."

    What is the reason to use an SSD instead of a HDD? It's to improve performance of the computer. Yet there is this trend among "experts" to recommend doing everything they can to move everything off the SSD. Oh, OK, you shave 15 seconds off the boot time and then by the time you follow the "experts" advice to move programs, data files, caches and pagefiles to a secondary HDD, you are hardly using the SSD after booting.

    I've often thought about starting a thread asking the simple question - Has anyone ever gotten even close to wearing out an SSD due to write cycles? My 4 SSDs, the oldest about 1 year old now, all still show 100% of life remaining in their factory dashboard programs. It just ridiculous the length that some people will go to prevent writing to an SSD.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums