Windows 10: End of Support July 14, 2015


  1. Posts : 16,540
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       13 Jul 2015 #1

    End of Support July 14, 2015


    Products Moving to End of Support Effective Date
    Microsoft Forefront Client Security July 14, 2015
    Microsoft MapPoint 2013 July 14, 2015
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 July 14, 2015
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 GPS Locator
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition July 14, 2015
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-Based Systems
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition


    Services Packs Moving to End of Support Effective Date
    Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 July 14, 2015
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 July 14, 2015
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    13 Jul 2015 #2

    Hi there

    Pity about W2003 Server -- still IMO the BEST OS ever produced -- and it was possible to modify it for use so you could run it as a desktop OS.

    How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

    Still times move on -- W10 is looking better and better.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Jul 2015 #3

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Pity about W2003 Server -- still IMO the BEST OS ever produced -- and it was possible to modify it for use so you could run it as a desktop OS.

    How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

    Still times move on -- W10 is looking better and better.
    Well, unfortunately, it's got so many patches to it now.. it's hard to maintain anyways... It also prevents you from upgrading your Active Directory domains to a higher level (ie, more secure level).

    You can turn any server version of Windows into a workstation, in cluding Sever 2008, 2008 R@, 2012, 2012 R2... you just need to enable the right services and install the right components.

    However, running Windows server as a desktop has some inherent issues.. for instance, many kinds of apps, like Antivirus, won't run desktop version, you have to run the more expensive server versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Jul 2015 #4

    I have the Streets and Trips 2013 and there hasn't been any real support for that since it was first issued. There hasn't been any construction data update since I installed it, when it first came out.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       13 Jul 2015 #5

    Microsoft MapPoint 2013
    Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013

    I own these 2 and there have never been any issues with either. Great Programs very useful and the best off line maps.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       13 Jul 2015 #6

    Mystere said: View Post
    Well, unfortunately, it's got so many patches to it now.. it's hard to maintain anyways... It also prevents you from upgrading your Active Directory domains to a higher level (ie, more secure level).

    You can turn any server version of Windows into a workstation, in cluding Sever 2008, 2008 R@, 2012, 2012 R2... you just need to enable the right services and install the right components.

    However, running Windows server as a desktop has some inherent issues.. for instance, many kinds of apps, like Antivirus, won't run desktop version, you have to run the more expensive server versions.
    I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials runs on Server OS if you have some server OS trials etc.....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    13 Jul 2015 #7

    looks like Streets and Trips is discontinued. they want you to use Bing Maps. 2013 is the last one listed on MSDN. https://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/default.aspx That's too bad. I like that program and do use it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Jul 2015 #8

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Pity about W2003 Server -- still IMO the BEST OS ever produced -- and it was possible to modify it for use so you could run it as a desktop OS.

    How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

    Still times move on -- W10 is looking better and better.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Still running it as a file server and music box. Oh well, I have one more batch of updates and then I disconnect it form the Internet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Jul 2015 #9

    Indianatone said: View Post
    I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials runs on Server OS if you have some server OS trials etc.....
    With both Windows XP x64 Edition AND Windows Server 2003, you could run the Vista/7 install of MSE, and yes it FULLY works. I could have ran it as a workstation with no issues. Drivers are harder to find, but it detected more SCSI hard than XP did.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
624423168761950210 Cumulative Security Update KB3074679 for Windows 10: July 23, 2015 OOBE Update KB3074686 for Windows 10: July 23, 2015 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
624650192646635520 New firmware updates for Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 624653844518039552 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
Surface Surface Pro 3 July 23rd 2015 updates in Windows 10 News
Source: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 update history | Surface firmware updates
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Drm'd content downloaded for offline access in WMP is coming to an end Got an email from Blinkbox (UK media service, offer streaming and download for offline use) Not sure how many people still...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:26.
Find Us