Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
  1.    12 Apr 2017 #321
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,596
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    Cheers mate - I am sure some people think I grumble too much but I have a very real love/hate attitude to MS and Windows 10. I don't care much for this 'service' approach and so many cumulative updates coming through all the time. Could do without massive updates being a regular occurrence. I don't like playing microsofts roulette game with my machine so often. I feel like we spend more time updating the machines we have than actually using them!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Apr 2017 #322
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 109
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy99 View Post
    Cheers mate - I am sure some people think I grumble too much but I have a very real love/hate attitude to MS and Windows 10. I don't care much for this 'service' approach and so many cumulative updates coming through all the time. Could do without massive updates being a regular occurrence. I don't like playing microsofts roulette game with my machine so often. I feel like we spend more time updating the machines we have than actually using them!
    Once again that's exactly how I feel.

    Too many times these big updates have been damaging or at the least a major inconvenience.

    Cheers and regards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Apr 2017 #323
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,779
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by JSheridan View Post
    Once again that's exactly how I feel.

    Too many times these big updates have been damaging or at the least a major inconvenience.

    Cheers and regards.
    Here is a great tutorial by @Brink for getting around this:

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

    Read through it all and make sure you understand everything before applying any patches. I currently let Windows check for updates, but I must manually download them.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    14 Apr 2017 #324
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro

    After five attempted updates incorporating all likely advice from here and elsewhere, all falling at the 32% hurdle, I'm not inclined to try again until Microsoft advises specifically that this issue has been sorted. It has cropped up so frequently as to bring into question the rigor of MS testing.

    Sorry, but this user has no choice but to award a big fat 'Fail' to Creators Update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Apr 2017 #325
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,779
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Bear View Post
    After five attempted updates incorporating all likely advice from here and elsewhere, all falling at the 32% hurdle, I'm not inclined to try again until Microsoft advises specifically that this issue has been sorted. It has cropped up so frequently as to bring into question the rigor of MS testing.

    Sorry, but this user has no choice but to award a big fat 'Fail' to Creators Update.
    I have had no issues with official releases, ever since I went from Windows 7 --> 8.0 -> 8.1 --> 10.0.10240 --> 10.0.10586 --> 10.0.14393 and now 10.0.15063 (Creators Update).

    I don't understand why so many have so many issues. Only time I have had issues is when I have done something stupid or when I have been testing out Insider Previews, which are sometimes very unstable.

    I have tested the official releases on many different computers and VMs, and no problems at all.

    What are you guys doing with your computers when you get them into a state where they can not be upgraded?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    14 Apr 2017 #326
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by slicendice View Post
    What are you guys doing with your computers when you get them into a state where they can not be upgraded?
    At the first attempt I briefly saw a message that said the update process was running a disk scan, just before it failed. Haven't seen that message since.

    Haven't had problems with past W10 upgrades (other than preferences and settings being changed/wiped etc). I'm a finicky user who checks Event Viewer to be sure that everything's humming along healthily. Been content with a perfectly stable build for the past six months. Fair to say I've become somewhat disenchanted with Windows' direction in recent years and have strongly considered jumping ship, and probably would have if the latest MacBook Pro wasn't such a disappointment.

    Anyway I've since discovered there is a Creators Update troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._source=Direct and failing that, Microsoft Support https://partner.support.services.mic...re/windows/ts/, so I'll give these things a try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Apr 2017 #327
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 2,344
    Win10 Pro Build 17040

    - some updates take a long time to download and install..

    - occasionally, I've had to wait hours for the whole process to completely download and install
    - are you sure that the system isn't just running in the background..??

    - it does require a lot of patience..
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    14 Apr 2017 #328
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,779
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Bear View Post
    Fair to say I've become somewhat disenchanted with Windows' direction in recent years and have strongly considered jumping ship, and probably would have if the latest MacBook Pro wasn't such a disappointment.
    The grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence.

    Trust me, I've been running/testing everything from Linux Embedded all the way to BSD and OSX with Server package installed, with MS OSes and some custom OSes somewhere there in between. They all have their Pros and Cons. Mac used to be great, but lately I think they have been moving backwards, especially regarding hardware compatibility.

    They say Macs just work...though it is quite an accurate statement, it is still not entirely true. Out of the box with right hardware they work great, but try to use something that is not 100% created for Mac and boy you are in trouble after that.

    Just saying...
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    14 Apr 2017 #329
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
    - some updates take a long time to download and install..

    - occasionally, I've had to wait hours for the whole process to completely download and install
    - are you sure that the system isn't just running in the background..??

    - it does require a lot of patience..
    There's not really any room for doubt, same thing every single time. Download 100%, preparing files 100%, installation 30%, reboot, 32%, reboot, 'attempting to recover installation' and 'restoring previous installation' in quick succession (or words to that effect). Automatic reboot, back to square one.

    Ran the troubleshooter which purported to fix four issues with Windows Update, 'possible database corruption' etc. Creators Update failed as before.

    Opened Microsoft chat session, tech played with some services, downloaded & attempted to install some Knowledge Base updates, started the Creators Update and left me with it. It failed, some apps set to run at boot threw errors, and I no longer had any restore points in the kitty...

    Second chat session, different tech, tried some different settings, left me with the update running, same result.

    The techs bear no blame, they were handed a shit sandwich to begin with and were persistent in their efforts.

    In my judgement there is little alternative but to rebuild the machine from scratch. Instead of being able to relax this holiday weekend, I'm compelled to spend the next three days striving to recover what I had, and will no doubt return to work tired and irritable.

    Goddammit Microsoft, why did you interfere in my life? Get your shit together before it's too late.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Apr 2017 #330
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,576
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    and som
    Quote Originally Posted by slicendice View Post
    I don't understand why so many have so many issues. Only time I have had issues is when I have done something stupid or when I have been testing out Insider Previews, which are sometimes very unstable.

    I have tested the official releases on many different computers and VMs, and no problems at all.

    What are you guys doing with your computers when you get them into a state where they can not be upgraded?

    Your assumption that the user is wrong because you didn't have issues they do is a bit condescending and helps no one. Sometimes things just happen... even when one did nothing wrong!

    And while I agree the vast majority don't have issues, and some that do may have tinkered their PC to broke status, there are still some that have legit issues and shouldn't be made to feel as if they've "done something stupid"

    Things happen. Nothing is 100 percent perfect. No need to be so high and mighty because "you" don't have issues.

    And for the record, I've upgraded 3 PC's - 2 desktops, and one laptop. On the laptop, no matter what I did it wouldn't upgrade unless I did a clean install. Period. No such issues with my desktops - one through Windows Update, the other through Media Creation Tool. No major issues on my PC's, but that doesn't mean others don't or can't have them.

    Bottom line is there are too many PC configurations to say some can't or won't have issues upgrading. Or that issues can't pop up afterwards. It's the nature of the beast. Even Microsoft understands that, else they wouldn't issue patches to fix things.

    My two cents.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update & Activation Remove Windows 10 Creators Update message in Windows Update
How to Remove Windows 10 Creators Update message in Windows Update Windows 10 Creators Update will officially be released to the general public around April 10th 2017. After installing the Cumulative Update KB4013429 for Windows 10 build...
Tutorials
Visual Studio 2017 Update Preview and Windows 10 Creators Update SDK
Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/03/16/visual-studio-2017-update-preview-and-windows-10-creators-update-sdk/
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Creators Update in the homestretch: Here's what's next
Update: Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11th 2017 - - Windows 10 Forums Read more: Windows 10 Creators Update in the homestretch: Here's what's next | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Creators Update: Will I be able to chose the time of actual update.
I notice that many updates occur automatically. With small updates I don't even know they have occurred. I always try to make a restore point before a big update actually updates my comp. (for obvious reasons) and I am sometime given notice, often...
Windows Updates and Activation
WIN10] Windows 10 Creators Update
Can someone explain what this is all about. Windows 10 Creators Update expected to arrive in April - The Verge How about just a plain ole everyday system that works.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums