Windows 10: Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1.    12 Jul 2015 #71

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    The life time of the device means as long as the device is working. That can be any length of time.
    So the question is what is the difference between the lifetime of the device which you've defined above, and the supported lifetime?

    My guess is that it's support by the OEM that is being referred to here.

    If it was support by Microsoft then it would just be saying that Microsoft support it only as long as Microsoft support it, which while true wouldn't tell anyone very much as it's circular.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    12 Jul 2015 #72

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    The life time of the device means as long as the device is working. That can be any length of time.
    Exactly. People are missing the distinction between the actual physical life of the device and the "projected" lifetime of the device. Microsoft is estimating that said device will last 2 to 4 years and is using that estimate to calculate/project future revenue. If that device was upgraded for free to Windows 10, they aren't going to make any money on new Windows sales until it dies. A very optimistic estimate if you ask me. A phone or a tablet might byte the bullet in that time frame but I'm hoping to get a lot longer use out of my laptop and desktop PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Jul 2015 #73

    DavidY said: View Post
    So the question is what is the difference between the lifetime of the device which you've defined above, and the supported lifetime?

    My guess is that it's support by the OEM that is being referred to here.

    If it was support by Microsoft then it would just be saying that Microsoft support it only as long as Microsoft support it, which while true wouldn't tell anyone very much as it's circular.
    It should be that for the life of the device you have the Wn10 upgrade installed you will receive free upgrades/Updates. And if you did purchase a copy you will receive free upgrades/updates for that with no time limit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Jul 2015 #74

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Exactly. People are missing the distinction between the actual physical life of the device and the "projected" lifetime of the device. Microsoft is estimating that said device will last 2 to 4 years and is using that estimate to calculate/project future revenue. If that device was upgraded for free to Windows 10, they aren't going to make any money on new Windows sales until it dies. A very optimistic estimate if you ask me. A phone or a tablet might byte the bullet in that time frame but I'm hoping to get a lot longer use out of my laptop and desktop PC.
    I agree.. I plan on keeping this PC for around 5 years so they don't get money off of me unless I decide to either purchase a copy or do a new build. The article in the OP is causing more confusion than it's worth.. IMO.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,995
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       12 Jul 2015 #75

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Exactly. People are missing the distinction between the actual physical life of the device and the "projected" lifetime of the device. Microsoft is estimating that said device will last 2 to 4 years and is using that estimate to calculate/project future revenue. If that device was upgraded for free to Windows 10, they aren't going to make any money on new Windows sales until it dies. A very optimistic estimate if you ask me. A phone or a tablet might byte the bullet in that time frame but I'm hoping to get a lot longer use out of my laptop and desktop PC.
    Good catch Alpha: The devices might not even crap the bed, it's just these devices are often only used so long and the owner buys the latest and better one. For example, I only need a cell phone to call and SMS and use as a calculator on my forklift in the warehouse I work, nothing more, so I still have my old Nokia 2330 classic. I know people, though, that have 10 to 20 phones, and get a new one every couple of years. So for them the lifetime is until a better one comes out.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    12 Jul 2015 #76

    groze said: View Post
    @Winuser

    Are you talking about upgrades like a new version of windows? Then they should give you the option of not upgrading and just receiving security updates & patches for the current version you have tell extended support ends. Not everyone can afford a new system every 2 to 4 years.
    I'm sure any upgrades for Windows 10 will be optional. It would be the same as upgrading from one version of Windows to a newer version. Security updates should always be free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Jul 2015 #77

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    It should be that for the life of the device you have the Wn10 upgrade installed you will receive free upgrades/Updates. And if you did purchase a copy you will receive free upgrades/updates for that with no time limit.
    I don't think that answers my question on what the word 'supported' means in Microsoft's statement.

    If Microsoft had said 'for the lifetime of the device' then it would match your statement above. But they didn't say that - they said 'for the supported lifetime of the device'. That word will have been put there for a reason...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    12 Jul 2015 #78

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    It should be that for the life of the device you have the Wn10 upgrade installed you will receive free upgrades/Updates. And if you did purchase a copy you will receive free upgrades/updates for that with no time limit.
    As far as I know, free upgrade or not, if that device is running Windows 10, you get updates and Windows upgrades free, for the physical life of that device.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       12 Jul 2015 #79

    DavidY said: View Post
    I don't think that answers my question on what the word 'supported' means in Microsoft's statement.

    If Microsoft had said 'for the lifetime of the device' then it would match your statement above. But they didn't say that - they said 'for the supported lifetime of the device'. That word will have been put there for a reason...
    Well I built my device and I am supporting it for the lifetime of it's builder-me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    12 Jul 2015 #80

    DavidY said: View Post
    I don't think that answers my question on what the word 'supported' means in Microsoft's statement.

    If Microsoft had said 'for the lifetime of the device' then it would match your statement above. But they didn't say that - they said 'for the supported lifetime of the device'. That word will have been put there for a reason...
    Post the whole statement with a link and I'll have a look. I'm no lawyer but I'll see if I can make any sense out of. It sounds like just a bean counter term to me. Don't forget, support can also refer to free phone support that has a time limit on it, and has nothing to do with Windows update etc. That author took stuff and twisted it all around so it makes absolutely no sense, to me anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Related Threads
What's the deal? in Drivers and Hardware
23895 23896 In Nvidia Control Panel I appear to be running drive 353.30, but according to the uninstall list I still have 347.88. So what's the deal? Am I running 353.30 or 347.88? Make up your mind Windows 10! :confused:
terrible slow boot in General Support
I gave Windows 10 another chance after March update and tried a VM so I upgraded main Windows 8.1 to 10 build 10041 Bios-> windows logo for some seconds->black screen for 10 minutes->desktop While on the black screen, the HD light is...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:18.
Find Us