Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11th 2017

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 26,352
    Win11 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #50

    Something I just realized,
    Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11th 2017

    And

    Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #51

    swarfega said:
    Would it show as Insider though?
    No. You'll only be insider if you join.

    If you upgrade a non-insider account (or you clean install) you will not be part of the insider program unless you opt-in.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 279
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #52

    lx07 said:
    No. You'll only be insider if you join.

    If you upgrade a non-insider account (or you clean install) you will not be part of the insider program unless you opt-in.
    Bonus question: In the future if I install ANY insider ISO while on the non-insider ring, it will NEVER add me to the insider ring? Also, when the "official" windows version surpasses this insider build number, will it update me in windows update like normal?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #53

    bobsagetfullhou said:
    Bonus question: In the future if I install ANY insider ISO while on the non-insider ring, it will NEVER add me to the insider ring? Also, when the "official" windows version surpasses this insider build number, will it update me in windows update like normal?
    At the moment if you clean install or upgrade to a non-release insider version (anything except for 15063 at the moment) then you are kind of stuck if you aren't in the program. You'll not get any upgrade and as the non-release insider builds are time-bombed it will stop working eventually. In middle of may this year if I remember rightly.

    You could manually create ISOs by downloading the esd files of subsequent builds (or make a VM to get them) and upgrade like that but it would be more of a hassle than it is worth I'd have thought. It would be easier to either join the program (even using a disposable email on a VM) or not install insider builds at all.

    MS could of course change things so insider builds just don't work if you aren't enrolled but they haven't yet. What they do in future is anyone's guess.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 92
    Windows 10 pro 64bit
       #54

    bobsagetfullhou said:
    Bonus question: In the future if I install ANY insider ISO while on the non-insider ring, it will NEVER add me to the insider ring? Also, when the "official" windows version surpasses this insider build number, will it update me in windows update like normal?
    It will only add you to the insider ring if you tell it to.

    It is the release version (current), [all be it buy another name], so it will continue to be updated as if retail, as would all installed versions.

    I have done several updates and some clean installs and they all stay as retail/main/release branch
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #55

    Cliff S said:
    Something I just realized,
    Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11th 2017

    And

    Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 April 14, 2009 April 8, 2014
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2 April 10, 2012 April 11, 2017
    I think both dates are April's 'patch Tuesday', which is why it's the Vista date - it's the last date where Vista will get a patch.

    For Vista users who haven't upgraded yet, it would be nice if Microsoft made available a cheap upgrade to Win10 - a bit like the 25/$40 upgrades to Windows 8 when that came out. Otherwise a Vista user is faced with buying a new computer, or paying for a Windows 10 licence at full price, which is probably more than the value of the computer if it's that old.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #56

    @lx07 Thanks for the advice. I have two machines, one I use as an insider testing machine and the other which is my main computer for work/gaming etc.

    So I think I'll clean install main computer today.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,871
    W10 pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.610
       #57

    DavidY said:
    I think both dates are April's 'patch Tuesday', which is why it's the Vista date - it's the last date where Vista will get a patch.

    For Vista users who haven't upgraded yet, it would be nice if Microsoft made available a cheap upgrade to Win10 - a bit like the 25/$40 upgrades to Windows 8 when that came out. Otherwise a Vista user is faced with buying a new computer, or paying for a Windows 10 licence at full price, which is probably more than the value of the computer if it's that old.
    Some would call that a bonus (no more updates).

    OK, so please read the following in the spirit in which it is intended :)


    My old laptop came with XP, and got the free Vista upgrade. My Dell came with W7 Pro (which I have an unhealthy dislike for. Yes really.) and so I purchased W8.1 which I really took to and liked. MS ruined that one though with all the unwanted update stuff. W10 came along and I realised I could get the pro version for free if I used the old W7 licence. That freed the 8.1 licence for the old laptop and so that to has/had 10 installed. All legal.

    Problem with W10 on old hardware is that it can struggle a little, and more than that I had to jump through a few hoops to even get it to install. Despite making many protestations about default buggy drivers to MS, which rendered it a no go for the average user (clean installing on old hardware that is) I've little doubt the Creators Update will be any different. In fact I've actually gone back to Vista on that laptop at the moment as the overall experience is so much better. Clean install and zero failed updates.

    I have a question :)

    I believe the Creators Update will ask for acceptance of new terms and conditions regarding security and privacy before it installs.

    What happens if you refuse ?

    Do you get to keep W10 in its existing form and never be pestered again ? What about normal security updates and Defender definitions ? Would they still come along ?

    It was with amusement that I followed the MS link (from the WU page in 'setting's) that asks

    Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?
    I expected there to be some action needed if I did want to be one of the first, and also perhaps some path to follow if I did not. Do I have a choice in the matter ? I suspect like everything W10, it will just barrel along in at some point.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #58

    I have successfully installed CU on both my machines.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #59

    I installed the creators update on my main PC from the ISO that Microsoft posted last week, is going to be the same exact version that goes to the MCT when it becomes available?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums