Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    29 Mar 2017 #21
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 297
    Windows 7 (SP1)

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Why would M$ open the floodgates to a multitude of claims by letting this lot succeed?
    Money being no object, they can hire the very best in their defence, any claims could last for years, or until the claimants run out of money.
    Sure they can, but large corporations do loose law suites, even Governments loose lawsuits, Add the negative press to that and they may see settling as the wiser option in the long run, even if it does mean thousands of suites.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Mar 2017 #22
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Texas
    Posts : 19
    WinXP/ Win7/ Win8.1, and WinX

    Quote Originally Posted by indianacarnie View Post
    Well, I think its a pile of crap to put it nicely. The lawsuit NOT the O.S. . I've been installing and re-installing every Windows O.S. since 98 and haven't had anything near what these people say/claim they experienced. I've installed 10 on 3 different machines of my own and at least 15/20 times on family and friends machines with nary a problem. One of my machines was/is an old piece of crap Dell (not tested for or recommended for 10 as per Dell) and the only thing that was "broke" was Dell's "extra" touchpad driver.

    Some of the claimants seem to be either professionals or semi-pros in their fields who use their machines for work/business. Now I ask you , if you COUNTED on your machine for your bread and butter would YOU install a MAJOR upgrade to anything on that machine, ESPECIALLY an O.S. without BACKING UP?!?! I seem to remember also, that M.S. asked you to run the upgrade advisor too, but its been awhile and I'm a little hazy on that.

    Just looks like a money grab on a deep pocket source to me.
    I TOTALLY agree with you here. A little research, and you could've stopped the "upgrade" to begin with. Not only that, there's a rollback option. Not only that, but imaging your computer once a week, you could've EASILY restored your system.

    To those with the so called "forced" upgrade, you CAN stop automatic updates from shagging your computer when you need it to run fast. You CAN stop the "spying".

    I have WinX on three computers at home, one is an experiment that was loaded with WinX, right before the "free" (NOTHING is "free") upgrade ended.

    I did the first round of updates, then, with a little tinkering, shut off updates all together, removed Cortana, removed Edge. Removing Cortana will require you to Ctrl-Alt-Del, then shut down from there, in order to keep your "fastboot" working, and you'll need to use Windows 7 search.

    This computer was re-loaded with Win7, then given to a family member. From June, '16, until last month, WinX was still running, and running trouble free, and very fast, and not ONE, single update since the first one I allowed, not even the "anniversary update" .

    I like WinX, but use BelArc Beacon, to keep it under control. With the "Hiberfile" fast boot option turned on, this is Microsofts fastest booting O/S to date, and an O/S that really brings an old Lenovo T400, springing to life.

    However, I STILL prefer Win7 for gaming.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Mar 2017 #23
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,570
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Khzyvfonhes View Post
    However, I STILL prefer Win7 for gaming.
    As I side 've not noticed any difference in gaming under Windows, whether 7, 8, or 10. And definitely no decreased performance between 7 & 8, let alone 10. And I game a lot. The only thing I'll give 7 in the gaming department is native support for older games. That's it.

    As far as being able to stop the update. What? I have to sit at my PC 24/7 to insure I'm not force updated? Again, the average joe/jane blow does NOT have the technical skill most us here have so a lot of these things go over their head.

    "imaging your computer once a week" let alone using the image to recover from an issue is a foreign to a novice as a newborn installing a PCI card. Just because one owns a PC doesn't make them a PC wiz!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    30 Mar 2017 #24
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Texas
    Posts : 19
    WinXP/ Win7/ Win8.1, and WinX

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    As I side 've not noticed any difference in gaming under Windows, whether 7, 8, or 10. And definitely no decreased performance between 7 & 8, let alone 10. And I game a lot. The only thing I'll give 7 in the gaming department is native support for older games. That's it.

    As far as being able to stop the update. What? I have to sit at my PC 24/7 to insure I'm not force updated? Again, the average joe/jane blow does NOT have the technical skill most us here have so a lot of these things go over their head.

    "imaging your computer once a week" let alone using the image to recover from an issue is a foreign to a novice as a newborn installing a PCI card. Just because one owns a PC doesn't make them a PC wiz!
    Thank you for your response.

    I play mostly older games (I'm an avid Sims2, Beyond Good and Evil player), that's why I like Win7. Didn't mean to seem presumptuous, but computer maintenance is actually just as easy as changing your own oil. Just requires a little research, and a little effort. If you own a car, you know to at least, take it in for service, or learn to do some of it yourself.

    I'm just saying that one should at least know how to do the basic maintenance, and maybe a few extras to save them a ton of money and trouble.

    Basic computer setup:

    When I sell a computer, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty as long as you own the computer, and a little education. It's not theoretical physics....it's basic know how.

    When I sell one, it comes with a small (160-320gb) external HDD, in an inexpensive USB case with the HDD image, and a repair disk, instructions for using them, and my phone number, in case you get into a bind.

    A typical system I was selling last year?

    Lenovo T400, 8gb/ram, 500-750gb, 7200rpm hdd, LEGAL copy of Win7Pro.
    1 external HDD with image.
    1 Win7Pro repair disk.
    Instructions, along with my phone number.

    All, with maxed out ram, a new battery, and a new charger, if it was needed.

    Completely refurbished, AND upgraded.

    All for around $200-$250.

    I sold 28 of these last year, and haven't had a single complaint.

    I gave my Niece an old HP G60 that I rebuilt almost from scratch. Taught her how to do the weekly maintenance on it. She does it faithfully, and after a year, it still runs as quick (metaphorically speaking) and crisp as it did when I built it. She loves it, and uses it for everything!

    The updates I'm talking about, are the weekly, sometimes daily updates you can't stop from the GUI.
    Last edited by Khzyvfonhes; 30 Mar 2017 at 17:32.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Mar 2017 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,476
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Khzyvfonhes View Post
    When I sell one, it comes with a small (160-320gb) external HDD, in an inexpensive USB case with the HDD image, and a repair disk, instructions for using them, and my phone number, in case you get into a bind.
    You do know they'll loose the repair disk, don't you? One shiny bit of plastic is much like another, then one day there's a clean out of useless old CDs gathering dust...

    I'd make a small bootable 2nd partition on the USB HDD and put the boot/repair files there - one less thing to loose. That's what I do for the HDDs I keep my system images on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    30 Mar 2017 #26
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,688
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Then you can not equate your experience with theirs - you volunteered, others were forced. Two completely different experiences.

    And MS is still forcing people to upgrade, just in a different way now by suddenly making a compatible OS, non compatible with Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors now - Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7
    MS did not force the purchase of those products. I was referring to normal everyday users, there were many ways to remove that upgrade to 10 thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Mar 2017 #27
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Texas
    Posts : 19
    WinXP/ Win7/ Win8.1, and WinX

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    You do know they'll loose the repair disk, don't you? One shiny bit of plastic is much like another, then one day there's a clean out of useless old CDs gathering dust...

    I'd make a small bootable 2nd partition on the USB HDD and put the boot/repair files there - one less thing to loose. That's what I do for the HDDs I keep my system images on.
    That's a good idea. For some reason, I didn't think of that. Thanks! However, some of the "freebies" I give away, won't boot from a USB drive. I repair some pretty old systems that will function properly, and give those to people who can't afford a computer. The freebies come with nearly the same warranty, that the sold ones do.

    I like helping people.

    I always keep spare repair disks, in case someone needs one. I also keep the original image for my clients computers, in case the external HDD should fail.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Mar 2017 #28
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,570
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Khzyvfonhes View Post
    I'm just saying that one should at least know how to do the basic maintenance, and maybe a few extras to save them a ton of money and trouble.

    What's basic to me and you may not be so basic to a casual user.

    I'm currently taking a basic computer class (mainly MS Office usage) because it's a requirement I need to fulfill towards completing by Bachelorís degree. For me, I don't need it, but it's a requirement.

    Anyway, there were some in my class who struggled with the basics using a PC just to work with Office. For them, they aren't interested in delving into the nuts and bolts of a PC beyond casual or work usage. For them, the basics taught in class is all they may ever use. For me, I'm beyond that.

    It's no different than an auto mechanic being in a field they're interested in, but pondering ponder why people can't tune their cars... forgetting the masses just need to know the basics to operate the vehicle. That just because one owns a car doesn't mean they has to delve into the electronics of engine management. Well the same can be said of the casual PC user... Just because one owns PC doesn't mean they need to know the inner working of an OS. Those things go beyond normal use.

    Now we can argue the minutia of things, but I think my point is clear.

    Peace
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    30 Mar 2017 #29
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Texas
    Posts : 19
    WinXP/ Win7/ Win8.1, and WinX

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    What's basic to me and you may not be so basic to a casual user.

    I'm currently taking a basic computer class (mainly MS Office usage) because it's a requirement I need to fulfill towards completing by Bachelorís degree. For me, I don't need it, but it's a requirement.

    Anyway, there were some in my class who struggled with the basics using a PC just to work with Office. For them, they aren't interested in delving into the nuts and bolts of a PC beyond casual or work usage. For them, the basics taught in class is all they may ever use. For me, I'm beyond that.

    It's no different than an auto mechanic being in a field they're interested in, but pondering ponder why people can't tune their cars... forgetting the masses just need to know the basics to operate the vehicle. That just because one owns a car doesn't mean they has to delve into the electronics of engine management. Well the same can be said of the casual PC user... Just because one owns PC doesn't mean they need to know the inner working of an OS. Those things go beyond normal use.

    Now we can argue the minutia of things, but I think my point is clear.

    Peace
    I agree with your point. I'm not arguing with you. I guess I'm just cheap (or just curious beyond the realm of the normal person), and prefer to do my own work, as you do. To me, it's just a matter of self sufficiency. I guess that's why people like me, make money. I just don't understand why people don't take a little more interest in something that they depend on so heavily.

    It just irritates me to be ignorant of things that affect my life so heavily.

    I absolutely HATE cellphones!, however, it's necessary for me to learn the basics, and a little beyond that, so as to not keep bugging my wife to "fix it" for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    30 Mar 2017 #30
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,570
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Khzyvfonhes View Post
    It just irritates me to be ignorant of things that affect my life so heavily.
    Just because someone doesn't desire to become a PC guru and fix PC's doesn't make them ignorant.

    Ignorant is the one FUBAR's things because they think they know it all. I see a lot of this in the PC world
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams with Windows 10 Anniversary
Read more: Microsoft Has Broken Millions Of Webcams With Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Thurrott.com See also: MJPG encoded media type is not available for USB/UVC web-cameras after Windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.10 anniversary))...
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades
Read more: Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades - Thurrott.com
Windows 10 News
Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades
Three Reasons Microsoft Stopped Free Windows 10 Upgrades Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/05/09/why-free-windows-10-is-expensive/?linkId=24391964#2cdfc6f9451e
Windows 10 News
Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ?
Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years | Computerworld
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums