Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166 Insider

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
  1.    09 Jul 2015 #251

    Lee said: View Post
    Was just setting here reading all the post, and a thought came to me. . .what is so important about the speed of a computer's shutdown. For me once I tell my computer to shutdown I am already walking away to my next adventure, thus the amount of time it takes to shut down is not all that important. . .
    For some I guess it's important and in the end that's all that matters.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       09 Jul 2015 #252

    Just finished updating my Toshiba laptop to 10166. Took about an hour start to finish using Wireless only, no Ethernet. Not bad at all.

    I have one question. I have not looked at or used Cortana at all so how do I start. I got it turned on and it recognizes the microphone but now what? If I say Hey Cortana, nothing happens. How do I start the training?

    Is there a Cortana for Dummies here somewhere
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       09 Jul 2015 #253

    Lee said: View Post
    Was just setting here reading all the post, and a thought came to me. . .what is so important about the speed of a computer's shutdown. For me once I tell my computer to shutdown I am already walking away to my next adventure, thus the amount of time it takes to shut down is not all that important. . .


    My new PC normally shuts down in about 5 secs. If it takes more than 15 sec, it's one way of knowing something is not right. It's not about "how long?" per se, but more of "what's wrong?".

    But of course, YMMV.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 755
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 16199
       09 Jul 2015 #254

    This is my own basic Reg hack, take as your own risk and change as your wish:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
    @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
    @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "AutoEndTasks"="1"
    "HungAppTimeout"="1000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="8"
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"
    "LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "MouseHoverTime"="8"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f "%1" && icacls "%1" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f "%1" && icacls "%1" /grant administrators:F"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f "%1" /r /d y && icacls "%1" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f "%1" /r /d y && icacls "%1" /grant administrators:F /t"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
    "LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001
    "NoResolveSearch"=dword:00000001
    "NoResolveTrack"=dword:00000001
    "NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       09 Jul 2015 #255

    jyusa said: View Post
    Request: Anyone got a reliable link for 10166 x86 ESD or ISO? Preferable not a Torrent!
    How much U wanna pay ......just kiding but if I see one I'll post a reply here U can try OS beta or maybe Win OS Beta they usualy get the reliable MSN ESD's and sometines ISO .

    OTOH if have an earlier build you can get it to update easily unless U want a clean install which you can *actually do* from the at least last two test builds within the normal recovery /restore settings app even if you have an update install of the same build now .....it will just re install it clean .

    I used and ESD from an earlier build there *but* it took 3 downloads to get one that would execute onvnce that happened it was fine I got the link *here actually and some of us used it no probs AFAK it activeted and worked fine before the fast ring update was realeased
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 265
    Windows 10 preview ########
       09 Jul 2015 #256

    badrobot said: View Post
    My new PC normally shuts down in about 5 secs. If it takes more than 15 sec, it's one way of knowing something is not right. It's not about "how long?" per se, but more of "what's wrong?".
    exactly, there are many reasons to shut down, or restart a computer, and to assume that it is just because you are walking away is ridiculous. my laptop use to do a complete restart from in os, to back in os in only 14 seconds, and now with the latest win 10 build it is more around 23 seconds. that might sound picky to some, but when you are doing a lot of things, and shutting down or restarting is something you have to do a lot, it makes a difference. a big difference. it does still shut down in about 7 seconds, and can get into system from cold start in 8 seconds. but restarts are much slower.

    blutos cousin said: View Post
    that's kinda what I was thinking and that way they can be re set easiliy if need be that's cool !

    I made a desk top shut down and restart shortcut and pinned them to task bar with using some new small Icons that are cool I found them in the change Icon files after I made the shortcuts,they scale smaller than the picture here from the desk top pinned in the task bar ofc without the arrrows also


    Attachment 23846
    yeah, i did this earlier also, and put them in my start menu. if you look just above the news live tile, where the cursor is, i have restart, shut down and log off.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-07-09-23h45m14s074.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	936.5 KB 
ID:	23851
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 755
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 16199
       09 Jul 2015 #257

    blutos cousin said: View Post
    How much U wanna pay ......just kiding but if I see one I'll post a reply here U can try OS beta or maybe Win OS Beta they usualy get the reliable MSN ESD's and sometines ISO .

    OTOH if have an earlier build you can get it to update easily unless U want a clean install which you can *actually do* from the at least last two test builds within the normal recovery /restore settings app even if you have an update install of the same build now .....it will just re install it clean .

    I used and ESD from an earlier build there *but* it took 3 downloads to get one that would execute onvnce that happened it was fine I got the link *here actually and some of us used it no probs AFAK it activeted and worked fine before the fast ring update was realeased
    Hmm... Thanks anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 755
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 16199
       09 Jul 2015 #258

    jyusa said: View Post
    Request: Anyone got a reliable link for 10166 x86 ESD or ISO? Preferable not a Torrent!
    I prefer an ESD because it DL quicker and rest work is easy for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       09 Jul 2015 #259

    jyusa said: View Post
    I prefer an ESD because it DL quicker and rest work is easy for me.

    microsoft-news dot com has a list of download sources.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,304
    Windows 10 Professional
       09 Jul 2015 #260

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Just finished updating my Toshiba laptop to 10166. Took about an hour start to finish using Wireless only, no Ethernet. Not bad at all.

    I have one question. I have not looked at or used Cortana at all so how do I start. I got it turned on and it recognizes the microphone but now what? If I say Hey Cortana, nothing happens. How do I start the training?

    Is there a Cortana for Dummies here somewhere
    Cortana Menu/Notebook/Settings-turn everything on and 'learn my voice'.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source - Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10166 | Blogging Windows UPDATE: 631136148014764032
Just available on my machine. AMEN. Rich 22747 UPDATE: Whoa! Another Windows 10 PC build! Build 10159 - Windows 10 Forums
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10122-for-pcs/ https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html UPDATES: 601080802793922560
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.
Find Us