Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15063 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 21
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 15063.413
       24 Mar 2017 #410

    Build 15063 finally downloaded and installed!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,688
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       24 Mar 2017 #411

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Fafhrd said: View Post
    There is no evidence that XP is a hazard.

    Just hearsay.
    Microsoft says that it is and are advising people not to use it. I did not just pick this out of the sky.
    MS also advises using W10.

    Avecto notes that Windows 10, dubbed the most secure operating system ever by Microsoft, had the largest total number of reported vulnerabilities of all supported versions of Windows. Windows 10 was affected by 395 different vulnerabilities, compared to 265 for Windows 8.1 for instance.
    Report: Non-admin accounts mitigate 94% of critical Windows vulnerabilities - gHacks Tech News
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,685
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.192
       24 Mar 2017 #412

    Got 15063 installed on my Oracle VM. Creating the ISO (saved the UUP files first) to use on my Laptop next.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,742
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.1 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       25 Mar 2017 #413

    cereberus said: View Post
    This confirms what I have always known - people who come from a land with 24 hours of darkness in Winter are slightly bonkers - LOL.

    See you at Kari's presentation I hope.
    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,

    In french we say : Le genie et la follie se touchent.




    Cheers,
    Yes, but happy!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    25 Mar 2017 #414

    k
    slicendice said: View Post
    Yes, but happy!
    When I worked in Denmark, we would get a lot of Finns visiting Esbjerg, and they certainly know how to party - I guess that is all you can do in middle of a long winter (apart from increasing the population) :-D.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,742
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.1 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       25 Mar 2017 #415

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    MS also advises using W10.

    Avecto notes that Windows 10, dubbed the most secure operating system ever by Microsoft, had the largest total number of reported vulnerabilities of all supported versions of Windows. Windows 10 was affected by 395 different vulnerabilities, compared to 265 for Windows 8.1 for instance.
    Report: Non-admin accounts mitigate 94% of critical Windows vulnerabilities - gHacks Tech News
    We must remember that Windows 10 is first of all, almost a complete rewrite of Windows. Second thing to keep in mind is that Windows 10 has a lot more features built in compared to any previous Windows version.

    And finally, as the reports states:
    A simple change, switching a user account from administrator to standard, or creating a second user account with standard rights and using it predominantly, has a huge impact on computer security.
    99.999% of all tasks done daily on an OS could and should be run under a NON-Admin account. Especially if you do something over the interweb, like web browsing. This is how it has always been and will always be. If it's Windows, Linux (& Android), OS X or any OS known to mankind, using a mere mortal account when no administrator rights are needed, is the way to go. Any computer user should know this. In my opinion there should be written laws for this. The stupidest thing you can do, is to run your computer account elevated at all times. No wonder they get hacked.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,742
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.1 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       25 Mar 2017 #416

    cereberus said: View Post
    k

    When I worked in Denmark, we would get a lot of Finns visiting Esbjerg, and they certainly know how to party - I guess that is all you can do in middle of a long winter (apart from increasing the population) :-D.
    Yes, practicing recreation keeps us very happy. In Summer and Winter. I prefer Spring.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 632
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)
       25 Mar 2017 #417

    slicendice said: View Post
    We must remember that Windows 10 is first of all, almost a complete rewrite of Windows. Second thing to keep in mind is that Windows 10 has a lot more features built in compared to any previous Windows version.

    And finally, as the reports states:


    99.999% of all tasks done daily on an OS could and should be run under a NON-Admin account. Especially if you do something over the interweb, like web browsing. This is how it has always been and will always be. If it's Windows, Linux (& Android), OS X or any OS known to mankind, using a mere mortal account when no administrator rights are needed, is the way to go. Any computer user should know this. In my opinion there should be written laws for this. The stupidest thing you can do, is to run your computer account elevated at all times. No wonder they get hacked.
    Great post, made me thinking as I always use Windows as admin, mind to share a good tutorial here on TF about account-options, but I do need all rights for performing apps like power shell as administrator etc.

    Cheers
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,742
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.1 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       25 Mar 2017 #418

    M4v3r1ck said: View Post
    Great post, made me thinking as I always use Windows as admin, mind to share a good tutorial here on TF about account-options, but I do need all rights for performing apps like power shell as administrator etc.

    Cheers
    Thanks.

    But you can be logged in as a Standard user, and start Powershell as an Admin user. Some tasks can not be run even this way, but for those tasks, it's better to have computer disconnected from internet or all security features and nagging prompts enabled. These task would be things related to managing the OS itself, which you should not need to do every day.

    Those are very specific tasks that should not need internet at all.
    On Administering Servers, the best thing you can do is to block everything from and to the internet, unless you are absolutely certain it is secure. Then you can white list that particular Domain/IP.

    EDIT: Of course services that are intended to serve users over the internet should NOT be blocked, but that is nothing you would/should have on a Windows 10 Workstation anyways.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    25 Mar 2017 #419

    slicendice said: View Post
    We must remember that Windows 10 is first of all, almost a complete rewrite of Windows. Second thing to keep in mind is that Windows 10 has a lot more features built in compared to any previous Windows version.

    And finally, as the reports states:


    99.999% of all tasks done daily on an OS could and should be run under a NON-Admin account. Especially if you do something over the interweb, like web browsing. This is how it has always been and will always be. If it's Windows, Linux (& Android), OS X or any OS known to mankind, using a mere mortal account when no administrator rights are needed, is the way to go. Any computer user should know this. In my opinion there should be written laws for this. The stupidest thing you can do, is to run your computer account elevated at all times. No wonder they get hacked.

    It's not the Admin account per se that protects your system but UAC... if that's turned off anyone can include elevation in a script to run as Admin (and no UAC prompt if off) ... the difference with other OS' is that UAC is built into the root/admin account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    UPDATE: Windows 10 Insider Preview build 15058 ISO file is also now available for download here (click on link). 842858810314129408 841771427787235329 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15058 for PC - Windows Experience...
    825063872533032960 825065215523971072 825213100613775360 Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/27/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15019-pc
    818518109497659393 818522983345991680 Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53.
    Find Us