Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Mar 2017 #41
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 53
    Windowes 10 Pro 15063.332

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    with more complex stuff (AI design / encryption methodology, theoretical physics etc) we are GOING sooner or later to need another step up in computing power -- and you can't just keep adding more "co-processors" -- the next upgrade is going to eventually need a 128 bit OS and memory to go with it.

    Once you get more than several co-processors operating the overhead rises rapidly -- for example an 8 way co-processor isn't as powerful as 8 X a single processor but about 6.5 times - and the overhead increases rapidly after that.

    W10 will eventually be as obsolete as Windows 3.1 -- not Ms's fault but just the nature of us Humans getting ever more sophisticated with what we want to do with computers.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    and again the new releases/builds UNDER 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    20 Mar 2017 #42
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 257
    Windows 10

    Well no one here ever wants to somewhat criticize Microsoft it seems, not even voice a concern. It's one thing to not want to support newer chipsets functions, but it's a whole lot different than actively blocking certain chipset/processors from receiving updates.

    Microsoft isn't some magically company that is free from flaws and isn't beyond from using tactics like this to increase the usage of Windows 10 to increase their revenue stream. But it seems like we aren't allowed to question them here, everything they do is great and we should bow down to them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Mar 2017 #43
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 553
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT

    Microsoft tried it the other way round for one of my pc's, the update from W7 would not work with an ancient socket 939 until I ran a clean install ISO of W10. The pc has run W10 hp 32 faultlessly since just before the end of the free upgrades.
    The volunteers at a museum use it for all sorts of things and they all like W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Mar 2017 #44
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,428
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by tinmar49 View Post
    Microsoft tried it the other way round for one of my pc's, the update from W7 would not work with an ancient socket 939 until I ran a clean install ISO of W10. The pc has run W10 hp 32 faultlessly since just before the end of the free upgrades.
    The volunteers at a museum use it for all sorts of things and they all like W10.
    MS is anxious to get rid of W7, there must be whole team just to keep it current and updated. They could be put to better use developing and maintaining W10. I still have W7 in dual boot but it's only used as a reserve system and some games. It's just fine as it is and will be transferred (it's retail version) to a spare computer I will make after crossing to Ryzen sometime this year. It will be a very small mini ITX machine which is a bit older so W7 will fit it like a glove. No use of throwing out a perfectly good registration. I have an even older laptop with XP on it and it still does what it did when new.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    20 Mar 2017 #45
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
    Well no one here ever wants to somewhat criticize Microsoft it seems, not even voice a concern. It's one thing to not want to support newer chipsets functions, but it's a whole lot different than actively blocking certain chipset/processors from receiving updates.

    Microsoft isn't some magically company that is free from flaws and isn't beyond from using tactics like this to increase the usage of Windows 10 to increase their revenue stream. But it seems like we aren't allowed to question them here, everything they do is great and we should bow down to them.
    When necessary I will criticize anyone, including MS. But in this case, your off base. Why would you want to use an outdated OS on a new high powered processor? In the case of Win7 they dropped official support in 2015 and only did a extension for hardware that was out up to and including 2015,.

    Win8.1 is going away in a year and I don't see why that would be used either. Given the lack of love for that OS I find it hard to fathom that anyone would want that on a current PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Mar 2017 #46
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    MS is anxious to get rid of W7, there must be whole team just to keep it current and updated. They could be put to better use developing and maintaining W10. I still have W7 in dual boot but it's only used as a reserve system and some games. It's just fine as it is and will be transferred (it's retail version) to a spare computer I will make after crossing to Ryzen sometime this year. It will be a very small mini ITX machine which is a bit older so W7 will fit it like a glove. No use of throwing out a perfectly good registration. I have an even older laptop with XP on it and it still does what it did when new.
    +!, They dropped full support for 7 in 2015. It's gone for all purposes,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Mar 2017 #47
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 114
    WIndows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    MS is anxious to get rid of W7, there must be whole team just to keep it current and updated. They could be put to better use developing and maintaining W10. I still have W7 in dual boot but it's only used as a reserve system and some games. It's just fine as it is and will be transferred (it's retail version) to a spare computer I will make after crossing to Ryzen sometime this year. It will be a very small mini ITX machine which is a bit older so W7 will fit it like a glove. No use of
    throwing out a perfectly good registration. I have an even older laptop with XP on it and it still does what it did when new.
    Newegg is till selling Windows 7. Microsoft is still profiting from it. Newegg should post a warning to shoppers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Mar 2017 #48
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    Newegg is till selling Windows 7. Microsoft is still profiting from it. Newegg should post a warning to shoppers.
    Newegg shouldn't be selling an OS that is not supported. The end was 2015
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Mar 2017 #49
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,567
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    Newegg is till selling Windows 7. Microsoft is still profiting from it. Newegg should post a warning to shoppers.
    Why? And cut their profits?
    If someone wants to buy it, because the believe all the tinfoil hat BS about Win10,
    One: They get what they deserve,
    and,
    Two: They shouldn't be using a computer anyhow
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    20 Mar 2017 #50
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Why? And cut their profits?
    If someone wants to buy it, because the believe all the tinfoil hat BS about Win10,
    One: They get what they deserve,
    and,
    Two: They shouldn't be using a computer anyhow
    Lastly,,caveat emptor - Buyer beware..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Kaby Lake i7-7700k + H100i v2 ?s
Hi there, Just got a new build put together...been using AMD for quite some time now, before that Intel, now back to Intel. It has been many generations since I ran Intel so I am not too familiar with temps and all...I know the 7700k runs warm...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards
Keep reading! MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Intel prepares Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X
According to Digitimes, Intel is preparing to launch their next gen high-end processors in Q3 2017, which is most likely at Gamescom during August in Germany. Price range could be NT$15,000 to NT$57,000, that's $468 to $1,780 US dollars. Both types...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Windows 10 and Kaby Lake+
Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10 | Ars Technica Help me understand how this works? I have a 6700k with w7 and w10. How does Microsoft know which CPU one uses with Windows? Would, for example, a W7 computer with a 2600k...
Drivers and Hardware
Intel ships Kaby Lake chips, pointing to PC availability in few months
Read more: Intel ships Kaby Lake chips, pointing to PC availability in a few months | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums