Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    22 Mar 2017 #91
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 389
    Windows 10

    Here's the thing: Microsoft does not WANT to be supporting so many versions of the OS. You can say it's a business decision, but really it's common sense.


    Let's re-imagine this scenario without the use of technical terms or money.


    You invent a gizmo that makes your life better. You let your friends and family borrow your gizmo. But this gizmo requires constant maintenance otherwise it becomes unusable or dangerous.

    You invent a doodad that does nearly all of the things the gizmo did, and does quite a few things that the gizmo cannot do. However, this doodad also needs maintenance otherwise it becomes unuseable or dangerous. Plus many of your friends and family still use the gizmo instead.

    Right now you are still maintaining both the gizmo and the doodad, which takes a lot of time out of your day.

    Now you invent the Thing, which is a little different from both the gizmo and the doodad, but is far easier to maintain and can go longer without maintenance. Now you want all your friends and family to stop using the gizmo and the doodad and instead use the Thing, because you're bloody sick of spending all your time maintaining the gizmo and the doodad.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Mar 2017 #92
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    When were hardware partners ever on the hook to develop software updates for past versions of Windows? As far as I know they aren't obligated to develop drivers for any particular OS. Its all voluntary on their part. And from what I can see, as soon as a new OS is released most move their resources on to it.
    Of course, it's voluntary, however, why would a partner miss out on such a large audience. If Microsoft force mainstream users to use Windows 10 then Intel and AMD will not see much of a change if they restrict the updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Mar 2017 #93
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,446
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by DeclanT View Post
    Of course, it's voluntary, however, why would a partner miss out on such a large audience. If Microsoft force mainstream users to use Windows 10 then Intel and AMD will not see much of a change if they restrict the updates.
    "Windows 10 then Intel and AMD will not see much of a change if they restrict the updates" doesn't stand at all., Both of those companies will see more profit but maybe not immediately. There still must be millions of their processor on the shelves and they may see them sold out to hard nosed users that do not want to switch to W10. Buy the time they sell them out, whole upheaval will be over and we'll be starting all of this all over again like every time there was a generation change. All of us old enough will remember this happening many times.
    For MS, W7 and other older OSs are just a hindrance, something to spend money on without a chance of making a cent/penny on it any more. HW manufacturers do not care much either, they would rather we buy new stuff than also having to spend on developing drivers and ensure compatibility. Those are the stories older than PC itself.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    23 Mar 2017 #94
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,585
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    Here's the thing: Microsoft does not WANT to be supporting so many versions of the OS. You can say it's a business decision, but really it's common sense.

    Now you invent the Thing, which is a little different from both the gizmo and the doodad, but is far easier to maintain and can go longer without maintenance. Now you want all your friends and family to stop using the gizmo and the doodad and instead use the Thing, because you're bloody sick of spending all your time maintaining the gizmo and the doodad.

    The thing is MS only has to support the previous OS versions to their EOL (End of Life) cycle, not till the end of time.

    EOL for Windows 7 is Jan 2020 (less than 3 years from now). Windows 8.1 EOL is 2018 (next year). Support the processors to the EOL and be done. Period!

    And let me say this again.... It's not like these processors don't currently work under Win 7 & 8.1 at this moment. They do. It's just that MS would rather have you on Windows 10 now rather than later thus all this "we won't support Kaby and Ryzen on old OS's" talk. It has noting to do with compatibility, and everything to do with moving more users to Windows 10.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    23 Mar 2017 #95

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    The thing is MS only has to support the previous OS versions to their EOL (End of Life) cycle, not till the end of time.

    EOL for Windows 7 is Jan 2020 (less than 3 years from now). Windows 8.1 EOL is 2018 (next year). Support the processors to the EOL and be done. Period!

    And let me say this again.... It's not like these processors don't currently work under Win 7 & 8.1 at this moment. They do. It's just that MS would rather have you on Windows 10 now rather than later thus all this "we won't support Kaby and Ryzen on old OS's" talk. It has noting to do with compatibility, and everything to do with moving more users to Windows 10.
    But why can't Microsoft exercise their "subject to change without notice" clause and say "Look guys. We're in a different business climate now. We need to streamline support testing and maximize profit. In doing so, we need to accelerate the deprecation of older systems, so that we have one corporate vision."

    Besides, since it's their product, can't they do with it as they wish, even by providing limited support based on certain new conditions?

    I guess, the only reason I'm not so worked up on this, is that I can run Windows 8 on older but still suitable hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Mar 2017 #96
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,585
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    At the end of the day no matter how it's "justified", it's still MS trying desperately to get people off of 7 and onto 10. This latest episode just speaks to the obviousness of it.

    And I'm not worked up either as I'm already on 10. I just think crippling an OS to force people on a new one is silly.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    25 Mar 2017 #97
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 389
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    At the end of the day no matter how it's "justified", it's still MS trying desperately to get people off of 7 and onto 10. This latest episode just speaks to the obviousness of it.

    And I'm not worked up either as I'm already on 10. I just think crippling an OS to force people on a new one is silly.

    Windows 7 is EOL in only 3 years, and my analogy already explained why they are EOLing it.
    They HAVE to encourage as many people as possible to move over in the next three years, otherwise they will be in the same position as Windows XP where they are forced to extend their support of it because too many people still use it and society would shut down if Microsoft suddenly stopped supporting it - letting all the virus makers have free reign with all the exploits they have been sitting on.

    Microsoft has consistently said that Windows 10 is their attempt at a "final" OS that you will NEVER have to buy and upgrade to. We'll have to see how that holds up, but if they can even get a solid decade in without having to make a new OS to foster on us that would be awesome. Either way, I firmly believe that Windows 10 may very well be the last computer OS that many of us will use for the rest of our lives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Mar 2017 #98
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,446
    W10 Insider + Linux

    MS retains the data base for all updates which can be downloaded and most probably can be updated like that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    25 Mar 2017 #99
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,438
    Windows 10 IoT

    I don't know about the "you will NEVER have to buy and upgrade to" part? If you buy new hardware your going to pay for a licence for Windows 10, if its preinstalled. Build your own desktop and your also going to have to pay for it, if that's the OS you want to use on it. Once you have a license though, there will be no fees for upgrades to new builds which is essentially the next new OS. No paying to go from Windows 10 to Windows 11, to Windows 12. < Just an analogy. I fully expect the 10 to be dropped off at some point and it to just be called Windows something or other. Windows Creators Edition maybe? And there will likely be some that hold out until the free upgrade really gets terminated, then cry because they have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10 after 7 EOL.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Mar 2017 #100
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,630
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't know about the "you will NEVER have to buy and upgrade to" part? If you buy new hardware your going to pay for a licence for Windows 10, if its preinstalled. Build your own desktop and your also going to have to pay for it, if that's the OS you want to use on it. Once you have a license though, there will be no fees for upgrades to new builds which is essentially the next new OS. No paying to go from Windows 10 to Windows 11, to Windows 12. < Just an analogy. I fully expect the 10 to be dropped off at some point and it to just be called Windows something or other. Windows Creators Edition maybe? And there will likely be some that hold out until the free upgrade really gets terminated, then cry because they have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10 after 7 EOL.
    And I will have NO MERCY for them when they come asking



    and I will tell them.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Kaby Lake i7-7700k + H100i v2 ?s
Hi there, Just got a new build put together...been using AMD for quite some time now, before that Intel, now back to Intel. It has been many generations since I ran Intel so I am not too familiar with temps and all...I know the 7700k runs warm...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards
Keep reading! MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Intel prepares Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X
According to Digitimes, Intel is preparing to launch their next gen high-end processors in Q3 2017, which is most likely at Gamescom during August in Germany. Price range could be NT$15,000 to NT$57,000, that's $468 to $1,780 US dollars. Both types...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Windows 10 and Kaby Lake+
Skylake users given 18 months to upgrade to Windows 10 | Ars Technica Help me understand how this works? I have a 6700k with w7 and w10. How does Microsoft know which CPU one uses with Windows? Would, for example, a W7 computer with a 2600k...
Drivers and Hardware
Intel ships Kaby Lake chips, pointing to PC availability in few months
Read more: Intel ships Kaby Lake chips, pointing to PC availability in a few months | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums