Windows 10: Mozilla Firefox 57 - Compatibility Milestones

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    19 Feb 2017 #10

    I don't understand some of the reactions here. Mozilla is working to make Firefox faster, safer and more stable. When e10s is fully implemented with Sandbox restrictions it will be comparable to Chrome; tabs will run as individual, isolated processes. I'm already running Firefox 51 with multi-process enabled; performance is better and I've only lost one extension due to incompatibility. Mozilla is giving add-ons developers plenty of advanced notice so they have time to make their add-ons compatible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 Feb 2017 #11

    Victek said: View Post
    I don't understand some of the reactions here. Mozilla is working to make Firefox faster, safer and more stable. When e10s is fully implemented with Sandbox restrictions it will be comparable to Chrome; tabs will run as individual, isolated processes. I'm already running Firefox 51 with multi-process enabled; performance is better and I've only lost one extension due to incompatibility. Mozilla is giving add-ons developers plenty of advanced notice so they have time to make their add-ons compatible.
    Speaking for myself, I have installed the add-ons that make Firefox the browser I want it to be. Some of my add-ons are no longer being updated so they're not going to run on future builds of Firefox. For now I still use Firefox. It's just not my daily browsers and that's only because I can't fully customize it to my liking. Without my favorite add-ons Firefox will become just another browser and there will be no reason for me to use it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Feb 2017 #12

    Winuser said: View Post
    Speaking for myself, I have installed the add-ons that make Firefox the browser I want it to be. Some of my add-ons are no longer being updated so they're not going to run on future builds of Firefox. For now I still use Firefox. It's just not my daily browsers and that's only because I can't fully customize it to my liking. Without my favorite add-ons Firefox will become just another browser and there will be no reason for me to use it.
    I understand. I also use Firefox because it can be customized to a high degree. It stinks when add-ons are abandoned, but I wouldn't want the browser to stand still. Hopefully many of the old add-ons will be ported and new ones will be created to fill the gaps. Time will tell, but for the moment Firefox even with e10s enabled can still be customized more than Chrome, IE and Edge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 19,846
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       19 Feb 2017 #13

    Victek said: View Post
    I don't understand some of the reactions here. Mozilla is working to make Firefox faster, safer and more stable. When e10s is fully implemented with Sandbox restrictions it will be comparable to Chrome; tabs will run as individual, isolated processes. I'm already running Firefox 51 with multi-process enabled; performance is better and I've only lost one extension due to incompatibility. Mozilla is giving add-ons developers plenty of advanced notice so they have time to make their add-ons compatible.
    I already use Chrome as my 2nd most used browser, and Edge is my 1st one of choice(and also Polarity (Powered by both Chromium and Trident)for security/privacy(user scripts) when needed, and it can be themed easily from hand, without downloading anything if you want, I have two themes published it their "store").
    So why will I need Firefox in the future if it wants to be like Chrome/Chromium?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    19 Feb 2017 #14

    Cliff S said: View Post
    So why will I need Firefox in the future if it wants to be like Chrome/Chromium?
    That's a personal choice, but all browsers need to continue to implement the latest technology to enhance security and performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 19,846
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       19 Feb 2017 #15

    Victek said: View Post
    That's a personal choice, but all browsers need to continue to implement the latest technology to enhance security and performance.
    Hopefully, my eye candy stays, those are the only add-ons I think will have compatibility problem, other than the already defunct Logitech Smooth Scrolling
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	457.8 KB 
ID:	121978

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	447.2 KB 
ID:	121979
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,595
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1803
       19 Feb 2017 #16

    I've been reading the forums on Mozillazine on this one and tbh no one seems to have a clue what will happen.
    Personally I'll continue to update FF and see what the results are. As I posted earlier I only use three extensions and the only one I'd really miss is uBlock Origin (which I disable on tenforums).
    I think my problem is that since I've used FF since version 3 I can't imagine using another browser, in the past I've given IE, Opera, Chrome and Edge a fair go but I don't feel at home with any of them.
    Guess I'm just an old stick in the mud
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Feb 2017 #17

    DooGie said: View Post
    Personally I'll continue to update FF and see what the results are. As I posted earlier I only use three extensions and the only one I'd really miss is uBlock Origin (which I disable on tenforums).
    I think my problem is that since I've used FF since version 3 I can't imagine using another browser, in the past I've given IE, Opera, Chrome and Edge a fair go but I don't feel at home with any of them.
    Guess I'm just an old stick in the mud
    Make that 2 old sticks in the mud (or an older stick in the mud in my case)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    19 Feb 2017 #18

    Porting thousands of add-ons into web extensions in gonna be a lengthy and tedious pita, and that's if every developer wants to comply, and thats if Mozilla, (oops Moz://a) excepts what they have to offer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 17,763
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       20 Feb 2017 #19

    My understanding is that Chrome extensions will be compatible with the new FF. You will find that a lot of the current FF extensions have already been ported to Chrome so most of the development has already been done where this is possible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Related Threads
    I have updated Windows 10 to Anniversary Update ok with no problems..howver i cannot watch streaming mp4 videos in Latest version of Mozilla Firefox..do need to install a codec pack..as there are different sorts.. I tried running Mozilla Firefox...
    Mozilla Firefox 40.0 + Windows 10 in Browsers and Email
    Firefox makes improvements for Windows 10 http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/11/firefox-40-arrives-with-windows-10-support-expanded-malware-protection-and-new-android-navigation-gestures/ ...
    Somehow I managed to have Firefox start at system login and now I don't want it to do so. I've checked Task Manager and it isn't there. I've checked users\appData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup and it isn't there. Where...
    Mozilla Firefox causing BSOD in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can anyone help with my problem when I open Firefox I get the BSOD with Kernel security error. Everything else is working fine. Specs MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Graphics: Asus GTX 680 Memory: Kingston 1600 32GB OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.
    Find Us