Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!
       06 Jul 2015 #31

    linw said: View Post
    Can you please explain the OEM info you found? I can't see anything like it on my recent OEM 7 win 10 update.
    In Control Panel, under System (the info section) I have manufactorer, model, shows the vendor logo on the right side, etc (like in Win7)

    Under About in Settings app - I see my laptop model at the top, with my Laptop vendor under "Support" with the vendor phone number and site.


    I don't know if any of this matters. It obviously still uses the Insider Win10 licence, so dunno if it keeps info about my Win7 licence or just copy pasted my OEM info for fun.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,309
    win 10 Insider
       06 Jul 2015 #32

    Looks like it is hardware info that I wouldn't have on my home build PC. I thought you were referring to the previous OS install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,541
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Jul 2015 #33

    bromanbro said: View Post
    In Control Panel, under System (the info section) I have manufactorer, model, shows the vendor logo on the right side, etc (like in Win7)

    Under About in Settings app - I see my laptop model at the top, with my Laptop vendor under "Support" with the vendor phone number and site.


    I don't know if any of this matters. It obviously still uses the Insider Win10 licence, so dunno if it keeps info about my Win7 licence or just copy pasted my OEM info for fun.
    @bromanbro


    It does at least according to showkeyplus there is a link somewhere on this forum or windows 7 forum

    Windows Product Key Information
    Product Name: Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
    Product ID: Removed for privacy
    Installed Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Edition: Windows 7 HomePremium OEM:SLP
    OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

    Couldn't really test windows 7 retail key because of the OEM marker. The way I did the upgrade using windows 7 retail key may have messed it up & confused windows 10 install. What I did was change the product key to windows 7 retail key, rebooted upgraded to windows build 10 10162 but it would never activate even when Microsoft got the activation fixed. So, what I had to do is start over and upgraded the oem version to windows 10 and it activated without any issue. Then I put windows 7 retail back on and it is also working without any issue and activated without any issue. I can tell you it was not easy to say the least.

    There is one method I haven't tested.
    Doing a clean install of windows 7 retail, after installing some software upgrade to windows 10 and then re-install the oem version but that could take a long time, I don't know if I am up for the challenge plus we have storms this week and maybe next week and I like the computer unplugged during that.


    Primary Partition 1 would become windows 7 oem eventually
    Primary Partition 2 would become windows 10 upgraded from windows 7 retail almost clean install
    Logical Partition 5 would remain Xubuntu
    Logical Partition 6 would remain Linux swap partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!
       06 Jul 2015 #34

    groze said: View Post
    @bromanbro


    It does at least according to showkeyplus there is a link somewhere on this forum or windows 7 forum

    Windows Product Key Information
    Product Name: Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
    Product ID: Removed for privacy
    Installed Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Edition: Windows 7 HomePremium OEM:SLP
    OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

    Couldn't really test windows 7 retail key because of the OEM marker. The way I did the upgrade using windows 7 retail key may have messed it up & confused windows 10 install. What I did was change the product key to windows 7 retail key, rebooted upgraded to windows build 10 10162 but it would never activate even when Microsoft got the activation fixed. So, what I had to do is start over and upgraded the oem version to windows 10 and it activated without any issue. Then I put windows 7 retail back on and it is also working without any issue and activated without any issue. I can tell you it was not easy to say the least.

    There is one method I haven't tested.
    Doing a clean install of windows 7 retail, after installing some software upgrade to windows 10 and then re-install the oem version but that could take a long time, I don't know if I am up for the challenge plus we have storms this week and maybe next week and I like the computer unplugged during that.


    Primary Partition 1 would become windows 7 oem eventually
    Primary Partition 2 would become windows 10 upgraded from windows 7 retail almost clean install
    Logical Partition 5 would remain Xubuntu
    Logical Partition 6 would remain Linux swap partition.
    eh for me I'm running 10 TP/10 Final (will be)/Arch Linux. Have another machine with 8 that I'm not sure if I'm upgrading yet, since 8 is still supported for a long ass time (and is better then 7 imo). On that one mite just run 8/10 TP
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,210
    Windows 10 IoT
       07 Jul 2015 #35

    linw said: View Post
    Looks like it is hardware info that I wouldn't have on my home build PC. I thought you were referring to the previous OS install.
    Yeah, on a factory OEM install you'd see the OEM logo, Dell or HP etc and some other info added to the System page. There is other branding hidden around in Windows too. That all carries over when you do the upgrade to 10. If you installed Windows with a normal off the shelf DVD you don't get that branding. Even if its an OEM DVD. Have a look at this.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system Capture.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	23576

    This was an upgrade from Windows 7. I add this info myself, I code it into my install media.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,210
    Windows 10 IoT
       07 Jul 2015 #36

    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html I saw the same thing, the original windows 7 OEM key is stored in the registry, even after the upgrade. Same thing on my Windows 8 laptop. It listed the 8.0 OEM key in the BIOS, the 8.0 Pro key I actually installed with, and the Windows 10 key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!
       07 Jul 2015 #37

    so clearly 10 TP keeps that info.


    Hopefully I won't have to restore my 7 system image to upgrade then .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,210
    Windows 10 IoT
       07 Jul 2015 #38

    bromanbro said: View Post
    so clearly 10 TP keeps that info.


    Hopefully I won't have to restore my 7 system image to upgrade then .
    On an upgrade install yes, its stored in the registry. Showkey pulls keys from several places, including the BIOS of the PC, if there is a key there. In Windows 8 its an actual Product Code stored there. For Windows 7 its just an OEM identifier, not an actual Product Code. It will be interesting to see how Windows 7 OEM installs are handled. All PC's from the same manufacturer run the same key for that version of Windows. For example, all PC's from Dell with 7 Home Premium have the same Dell Product Code. With Windows 8 they changed that. Now they each have an unique Product code stored in the BIOS. Nobody else has your key, even if its an OEM install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,210
    Windows 10 IoT
       07 Jul 2015 #39

    bromanbro said: View Post
    so clearly 10 TP keeps that info.


    Hopefully I won't have to restore my 7 system image to upgrade then .
    Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? What's stored in the BIOS on a Windows 7 PC is just OEM identifier info. There is no product code or even version info. All that's there is the OEM say Dell and it's Windows 7 authorized. Any version could be installed by the OEM, the original image/install media determines that. What's in the BIOS (by itself) wouldn't likely be enough info for the free upgrade offer if you clean installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 282
    Windows 10!
       07 Jul 2015 #40

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    On an upgrade install yes, its stored in the registry. Showkey pulls keys from several places, including the BIOS of the PC, if there is a key there. In Windows 8 its an actual Product Code stored there. For Windows 7 its just an OEM identifier, not an actual Product Code. It will be interesting to see how Windows 7 OEM installs are handled. All PC's from the same manufacturer run the same key for that version of Windows. For example, all PC's from Dell with 7 Home Premium have the same Dell Product Code. With Windows 8 they changed that. Now they each have an unique Product code stored in the BIOS. Nobody else has your key, even if its an OEM install.
    Indeed, but if on July 29th, MS asks 7 users to provide their COA code, they'd find many cancelled reservations, as the COA stickers were prone to melt, and at this point, lots of people probably misplaced/lost them (7 was 2009 after all).

    Mine melted years ago. It was placed near my laptop's heat exhaust, and since the COA stickers are shitty quality, it's now unreadable, but the laptop sticker adjacent to it (with laptop serial etc) is 100% fine.

    All MS needs to do is ensure that side loaders don't work in 10, so if Daz Windows 7 users upgrade, then they'd be upgrading to a non-genuine Windows 10 (or MS can do a check during upgrade and halt sideloader upgrades). Obviously it's easier to filter out 8 non-genuine users as their hacks are identifiable on the system itself. No need to reboot to a "clean" environment to determine if they're genuine or not.

    If it's possible to mod/flash the BIOS to insert SLIC keys, then yeah, MS might have to require COA stickers from 7 users.


    PS: I upgraded from an OEM-installed 7 (didn't require COA sticker, read BIOS SLIC table, so COA key is not present in system)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Preparing for Windows 10 Install Not Going Well...
I have tried everything that I know of to prepared for the install of W10 and I can't get that Windows logo to appear on my taskbar to save my life. If anyone has any other advice to offer, I'm all ears as this is very frustrating...
Installation and Setup
Preparing for Windows 10
I cant wait to get WIndows 10, i reserved my copy for desktop and laptop. I have currently Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. My question is if anyone can help, When i do a clean format and install windows 10, is it ok to use my backup image of windows 8.1 and...
General Support
MS's '1 billion devices' goal has 73% of businesses planning to deploy
One billion. Without context, the number still manages to stand alone as impressively massive. However, in regards to Microsoft, the number stands as a reminder of a lofty promise towards a seemingly daunting accomplishment. This year, at...
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Expects 1 Billion Windows 10 Devices In 2-3 Years
Source A Guy
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums