Windows 10: Office 2016 Preview—update 2 now available Office

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       08 Sep 2015 #71

    Wynona said: View Post
    First off, Microsoft Office isn't updated through Windows Update; it has its own update service. Also, normally, Microsoft Office Technical Preview 2016 and the 2016 Public Preview will quietly update behind your back if you don't watch it.

    I'm on the Technical Preview and some of you are on the Public Preview. Either way, follow Hippsie's instructions and you should see the same as his screenshot except that you info on your version of Office should show up. BTW, even the Public Preview gets updates as frequently as the Technical Preview.

    If an update is pending, Office Update should tell you an update is pending and be highlighted in goldish yellow. Like so:

    Attachment 36516

    Ummm, I can't highlight it, but you get the picture. No pun intended.

    The above info is for Office 365 subscription; I'm not sure the "perpetual" Office 2016 Preview gets updates as often as the Technical Preview, but I suspect so.
    Mine never updated on it's own. I've got the 2016 preview (expires in 66 days). I was at 16.0.4229.1021; downloading updates now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,758
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       08 Sep 2015 #72

    Wynona said: View Post
    I'd like to ask y'all to do a short test for me, please. The first thing is to make IE 11 your default browser, then click on a link in an Outlook email. Does IE 11 take you to the link's destination?

    Over in another thread, it's been brought up that when clicking on a link in Outlook (not Outlook.com), IE either requires an extra click or won't go to the link's destination point.

    IOW, we get emails that tell us someone has posted to a thread we're watching. We click on the link and it should take us to that thread.

    I would like to see Office 2003 (if anyone still has it), Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and the "Previews" of Office 2016 (both subscription and perpetual).

    Thanks a bunch to anyone who participates; I will take this to a higher level of the Technical Preview Group so we can know if this issue is being worked on, or, if they're even aware of it.
    One click opens links for me. I'm using O365, currently Office 2013.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       08 Sep 2015 #73

    Wynona said: View Post
    I'd like to ask y'all to do a short test for me, please. The first thing is to make IE 11 your default browser, then click on a link in an Outlook email. Does IE 11 take you to the link's destination?

    Over in another thread, it's been brought up that when clicking on a link in Outlook (not Outlook.com), IE either requires an extra click or won't go to the link's destination point.

    IOW, we get emails that tell us someone has posted to a thread we're watching. We click on the link and it should take us to that thread.

    I would like to see Office 2003 (if anyone still has it), Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and the "Previews" of Office 2016 (both subscription and perpetual).

    Thanks a bunch to anyone who participates; I will take this to a higher level of the Technical Preview Group so we can know if this issue is being worked on, or, if they're even aware of it.
    I will do this with Office 2016 on W10.
    I can also do it in Office 2013, but it would be in W8.1 - do you want that?

    Edit: Clicked on a link in Outlook 2016 on W10 and it took me straight there in IE.
    Last edited by simrick; 08 Sep 2015 at 20:28. Reason: added results Office 2016 in W10
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,344
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       08 Sep 2015 #74

    simrick said: View Post
    Mine never updated on it's own. I've got the 2016 preview (expires in 66 days). I was at 16.0.4229.1021; downloading updates now.
    It probably did, because I've gotten several updates in the past couple of weeks. When it finishes, you should find that it's now 4229.1023, which is where everyone is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,344
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       08 Sep 2015 #75

    Dude said: View Post
    One click opens links for me. I'm using O365, currently Office 2013.
    Thanks, Dude! Much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 14,344
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       08 Sep 2015 #76

    simrick said: View Post
    I will do this with Office 2016 on W10.
    I can also do it in Office 2013, but it would be in W8.1 - do you want that?

    Edit: Clicked on a link in Outlook 2016 on W10 and it took me straight there in IE.
    Thanks, Simrick. It looks like the issue is gone in Office 2016 and possibly in 2013.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       08 Sep 2015 #77

    Wynona said: View Post
    It probably did, because I've gotten several updates in the past couple of weeks. When it finishes, you should find that it's now 4229.1023, which is where everyone is.
    it's on 1023 now
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 25,507
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       08 Sep 2015 #78

    Wynona said: View Post
    I'd like to ask y'all to do a short test for me, please. The first thing is to make IE 11 your default browser, then click on a link in an Outlook email. Does IE 11 take you to the link's destination?
    Haven't had Office Outlook since W7 Office 2000, which I used a lot when in business. Haven't used it since 8 RTM and started using the MS WinRT Store app. Still do in 8.1 and 10. Out of curiosity and for you I decided to set up Outlook 2016 here in 10 build 10532.

    I use Edge, but set IE as default and links do indeed open up for me. I closed IE out after each try to be sure. It didn't skip a beat.

    BTW, Outlook sure got advanced with features!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,344
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       08 Sep 2015 #79

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Haven't had Office Outlook since W7 Office 2000, which I used a lot when in business. Haven't used it since 8 RTM and started using the MS WinRT Store app. Still do in 8.1 and 10. Out of curiosity and for you I decided to set up Outlook 2016 here in 10 build 10532.

    I use Edge, but set IE as default and links do indeed open up for me. I closed IE out after each try to be sure. It didn't skip a beat.

    BTW, Outlook sure got advanced with features!
    Thanks Hippsie. I appreciate your taking time for this test.

    Yes, there's a lot to like about Outlook today. My first experience with it way, way back when, it hated me and wouldn't do anything I wanted it to do. And now I don't want to use anything else. That's a switch, eh?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 25,507
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       08 Sep 2015 #80

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thanks Hippsie. I appreciate your taking time for this test.
    You're quite welcome. Curiosity got the best of me too. I see you commented that the latest updates solved your problem. Strangely I've got the previous version 16.0.4229.1021 and won't update as of yet. Probably a queue thing.

    Yes, there's a lot to like about Outlook today. My first experience with it way, way back when, it hated me and wouldn't do anything I wanted it to do. And now I don't want to use anything else. That's a switch, eh?
    I see Outlook has come a long way. Much more sophisticated. Of course I was using 2000. Used it heavily for 13 years or so. Got into Windows Mail, now the Store app. We have the best of both worlds now. Win32 or WinRT. Take a pick.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Office 2016 Public Preview now available - Microsoft Office Blogs Get Office 2016: Office 2016 Preview download page (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (32 bit) (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (64 bit)
deleted !! posted in error jinbo
Hi there I think this comment is allowed - there is an NDA but I think this is OK. The latest update installs OFFICE 2016 just fine and works OK. Office 2010 is left untouched so you can run BOTH concurrently. OUTLOOK 2016 though uses the same...
Office Office 2016 on Windows Preview update in Windows 10 News
Source: http://blogs.office.com/2015/06/04/office-2016-on-windows-preview-update/
Source: Announcing the Office 2016 IT Pro and Developer Preview - Office Blogs
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08.
Find Us