Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
  1.    28 Jan 2017 #261
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,361
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    And what a helluva guess it was!

    I had another Insider OS I had clean installed and had the problem on it. I restored the clean image back, set that to "from anywhere", and Macrium breezed right on!! No problem!!!

    MS went a bit overboard with there definition of "app". Seems anything that is a .msi (Windows Installer package) falls into the category of "app". Not just Store Apps, anything with a .MSI extension.

    You're a life saver, @Edwin !! I would never have thought to look there. Many thanks!

    I'll leave you the honors of popping something up in the Apps Thread, if you want to. Others should be warned/advised.

    Note: The Macrium Reflect download is a .exe, which runs fine, just does an installation setup. Inside the package, it downloads the installer, .msi, and the components. That's where it croaks...when it gets all the way to firing up the .msi.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
    - that setting won't stick on this machine..
    - after a restart, it reverts to "store only"
    Glitch in the system, AGAIN!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    28 Jan 2017 #262
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,524
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
    - that setting won't stick on this machine..
    - after a restart, it reverts to "store only"
    I don't even have to restart. That setting keeps reverting back to Store Only every time I check.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jan 2017 #263
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Floyd, VA
    Posts : 1,124
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17025/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid

    I use AOEMI Backupper and it works great. I bought the Pro edition in part because I want to support the company but the free Standard edition works perfectly.

    I even did a full disk backup (including all 3 operating systems) and it restored my 256GB Samsung SSD without error and quickly.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    28 Jan 2017 #264
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Posts : 93
    Windows 10, Mageia Linux 6, FreeNAS, ClearOS

    ISO Soon Available


    Dunno about you guys, however, Win 10 most certainly has many more services (services.msc) present with many more running....much more than earlier versions of Win 10 as well as Win 7 & Win 8.1. Even looks like some are even redundant.

    Another great, easy to use clone/backup/system xfer/etc. program is EaseUS To Do Backup. They have a completely free edition that does all that most need and others that cost as little as $24.00.

    Tim

    P.S. I am currently making a complete ISO for this release (15019).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Jan 2017 #265
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 359
    Windows 10 Fast Ring

    Oh, oh. the issue with games suddenly reappeared again when I tried to play World of Warcraft. Now everything is OFF in the gaming section of the settings and I have shut down and rebooted several times. No luck. The game screen locks up without any mouse interaction. When I alt-tab out then back in, eventually the screen I SHOULD see will flicker into existence for a split second then disappear. This is the result I get when holding the alt-tab buttons.
    Turns out that it is the dreaded Windowed mode issue popping up again. There may be a NVidia driver issue with the latest build. Until it is resolved, I will have to play in windowed mode.
    If you have issues with games and have a NVidia card, Windowed mode can be added to a game in the GeForce Experience game settings...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-01-29_004931.jpg  
    Last edited by John Pombrio; 29 Jan 2017 at 03:45.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Jan 2017 #266
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,966
    Windows 10 Pro

    A 20 year old Windows issue, fixable with simple change in code, yet it is still there.

    Windows 95 introduced Taskbar as we know it today, since Windows 98 it has been possible to move it to left, top, right if the default location at bottom is not what you want to.

    I don't like it bottom, I always have Taskbar vertical at left to give me clearer view of what I have open in Taskbar, full size Quick Launch and System tray, full day and date, and more vertical space for browsers and apps.

    I understand that some third party software makers do not cope with this, like following two examples. First one shows where my VoIP softphone opens its small context menu when right clicked in System Tray, the latter shows how Screenpresso, my screenshot tool opens its context menu on another display:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	118994

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	118995

    But Microsoft's own, native Windows tools and apps, that I cannot understand. Here's where and how PowerShell opens by default:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	118996

    The same with Windows Media Player and several other native Windows tools and apps, even Edge which normally opens OK clearly detecting Taskbar but when I exit full screen YouTube or other video stream Edge goes real "full screen" hiding its left part behind the Taskbar.

    I know, this is a minor, trivial issue and does not affect majority of users. Yet I must wonder, an issue that could be fixed with a tiny change in code is still there, 20 years after it was first reported.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Jan 2017 #267
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,604
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    A 20 year old Windows issue, fixable with simple change in code, yet it is still there.

    Windows 95 introduced Taskbar as we know it today, since Windows 98 it has been possible to move it to left, top, right if the default location at bottom is not what you want to.

    I don't like it bottom, I always have Taskbar vertical at left to give me clearer view of what I have open in Taskbar, full size Quick Launch and System tray, full day and date, and more vertical space for browsers and apps.

    I understand that some third party software makers do not cope with this, like following two examples. First one shows where my VoIP softphone opens its small context menu when right clicked in System Tray, the latter shows how Screenpresso, my screenshot tool opens its context menu on another display:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	118994

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	118995

    But Microsoft's own, native Windows tools and apps, that I cannot understand. Here's where and how PowerShell opens by default:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	118996

    The same with Windows Media Player and several other native Windows tools and apps, even Edge which normally opens OK clearly detecting Taskbar but when I exit full screen YouTube or other video stream Edge goes real "full screen" hiding its left part behind the Taskbar.

    I know, this is a minor, trivial issue and does not affect majority of users. Yet I must wonder, an issue that could be fixed with a tiny change in code is still there, 20 years after it was first reported.

    Kari
    I used to like my taskbar at the top @Kari, but on Windows 10 gave up, because stuff(3rd party & native) would open behind it ALL the time, and training the program, to open a bit lower didn't help either.
    Nothing nerves more when the minimize/close/restore down are tucked behind the taskbar,

    1. so you first need to unlock it...
    2. then move it...
    3. adjust/move the opened window....
    4. place taskbar back...
    5. relock taskbar.


    And that I prefer to have my Desktop Toolbar with the recycle bin sticking out on the left as close to the Windows icon as possible, moving the taskbar around would also jumble my toolbar setup too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	118998
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    29 Jan 2017 #268
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    Oh, oh. the issue with games suddenly reappeared again when I tried to play World of Warcraft. Now everything is OFF in the gaming section of the settings and I have shut down and rebooted several times. No luck. The game screen locks up without any mouse interaction. When I alt-tab out then back in, eventually the screen I SHOULD see will flicker into existence for a split second then disappear. This is the result I get when holding the alt-tab buttons.
    Turns out that once again, it is the dreaded Windowed mode issue popping up again. There may be a NVidia driver issue with the latest build. Until it is resolved, I will have to play in windowed mode.
    If you have issues with games and have a NVidia card, Windowed mode can be added to a game in the GeForce Experience game settings...
    BF1 is stuck in minimize mode now with this 15019 update, it wasn't doing that the previous night with 15014 though, plus other games are doing the same thing.
    ETS2 works fine though...
    could be a DirectX 11/12 function that is buggy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Jan 2017 #269
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by N9NU View Post
    Dunno about you guys, however, Win 10 most certainly has many more services (services.msc) present with many more running....much more than earlier versions of Win 10 as well as Win 7 & Win 8.1. Even looks like some are even redundant.

    Another great, easy to use clone/backup/system xfer/etc. program is EaseUS To Do Backup. They have a completely free edition that does all that most need and others that cost as little as $24.00.

    Tim

    P.S. I am currently making a complete ISO for this release (15019).
    Heaps more services and background tasks. This that and the other running...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    29 Jan 2017 #270
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,966
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    I used to like my taskbar at the top but on Windows 10 gave up, because stuff(3rd party & native) would open behind it ALL the time, and training the program, to open a bit lower didn't help either.
    I am so used to having about 200 pixels wide taskbar on left, like it so much that I have accepted the fact that after every upgrade or clean install I have some app positions to fix.

    I am just wondering that after 20 years they still haven't fixed this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 for PC
818518109497659393 818522983345991680 Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271
702553978211475456 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271 + Mobile Build 14267.1004 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099
687334185501999104 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 for PC
UPDATE: November 9th 2015 663817978471804928 663818555217985536 662328639673864192
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums