Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15019 for PC Insider

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1.    28 Jan 2017 #220

    Hey all

    A question. With all the issues these 1500+ builds seem to cause, I understand the need of a backup to protect one's data in case of a disaster. My question is,:

    Is there a free backup software that would work similar to the macrium reflect I see mentioned here?

    Being disabled and on a very limited income the 69.95$ for a license is beyond my budget. I searched around, but not really seeing anything and I trust y'all here completely, Some of the web sites I have seen with supposed free back ups just seem like scams.

    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 655
    Windows 10 Home (Insiders Build 17134.1)
       28 Jan 2017 #221

    waltc said: View Post
    Custom scaling for all screen elements has always been there; but so was a *separate* adjustment for Windows font sizes--you got to choose from among a healthy selection of fixed font sizes for various Windows fonts--no scaling involved. The font-size selector is now gone. (I think it is mainly the people who didn't use this option who keep getting the two confused...)
    I have always relied on this 'advanced sizing of text' function, due to eye problems. I also have a registry hack file to set the font sizes the way I like them, for use after each new build (as does, I believe f14tomcat). The default settings are absurdly small to me.

    The problem is that these WindowMetrics only address fonts used by Windows32 (desktop) programs, not the Windows 10 system or apps. I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the sizes of these elements. It's one reason I find Edge barely usable - the favorites and the address bar and such are uncomfortably small. Just one more element of control/customizability taken away from the consumer - it's and industry-wide trend.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Jan 2017 #222

    Like Sgage, my progressive lenses and old eyes looking at a 2160 27 inch monitor makes the text sizes just too small for easy reading.
    God help those folks that are on a 4K monitor!
    I hope someone can come up with a registry hack to bring back the old text sizing option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Jan 2017 #223

    Dragonfyre said: View Post
    Hey all

    A question. With all the issues these 1500+ builds seem to cause, I understand the need of a backup to protect one's data in case of a disaster. My question is,:

    Is there a free backup software that would work similar to the macrium reflect I see mentioned here?

    Being disabled and on a very limited income the 69.95$ for a license is beyond my budget. I searched around, but not really seeing anything and I trust y'all here completely, Some of the web sites I have seen with supposed free back ups just seem like scams.

    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Macrium Reflect free will do the job if you don't want continuous automatic backups.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    28 Jan 2017 #224

    John Pombrio said: View Post
    Like Sgage, my progressive lenses and old eyes looking at a 2160 27 inch monitor makes the text sizes just too small for easy reading.
    God help those folks that are on a 4K monitor!
    I hope someone can come up with a registry hack to bring back the old text sizing option.
    Winaero tweaker can do most of it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 17,589
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       28 Jan 2017 #225

    Dragonfyre said: View Post
    Hey all

    A question. With all the issues these 1500+ builds seem to cause, I understand the need of a backup to protect one's data in case of a disaster. My question is,:

    Is there a free backup software that would work similar to the macrium reflect I see mentioned here?

    Being disabled and on a very limited income the 69.95$ for a license is beyond my budget. I searched around, but not really seeing anything and I trust y'all here completely, Some of the web sites I have seen with supposed free back ups just seem like scams.

    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    There is a free version of MR which is more than sufficient for most home users Macrium Reflect Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 13,745
    Windows 10 Pro
       28 Jan 2017 #226

    Dragonfyre said: View Post
    Is there a free backup software that would work similar to the macrium reflect I see mentioned here?
    CountMike said: View Post
    Macrium Reflect free will do the job if you don't want continuous automatic backups.

    As CountMike mentions, Macrium Reflect Free can do everything you need to get done. See tutorial for instructions and download link: Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 Jan 2017 #227

    CountMike said: View Post
    Winaero tweaker can do most of it.
    Yeah, Winaero Tweaker can still conjure up the Font Host, which is still in the system! Pity they did away with it! Or, they made a mistake, or it's in the works!?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000033.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	118912

    I just want to be able to change the font, size and boldness; that's all!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    28 Jan 2017 #228

    MAKE SURE the upgrade is fully downloaded before trying to upgrade, even if the Update screen says it is ready!
    Most of the problems with the upgrades that I have seen here are probably due to something that MS hinted at. MS said that the upgrade LOOKS like it is stuck at 0% while actually things are going on in the background but just are not showing up on the Update screen.
    I have a suspicion that the Update screen and the ACTUAL UPDATE are not at all in sync. My update screen LOOKED like my computer was "ready" to upgrade but in reality I saw that the system optimization is still busy downloading the update (and I have a very fat pipe). And indeed, the upgrade failed. Next time I tried, I waited until my task manager processes and CPU went down to its normal baseline and the System Optimization process was at zero and THEN tried the upgrade again. This time it went absolutely smoothly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    28 Jan 2017 #229

    CountMike said: View Post
    Winaero tweaker can do most of it.
    Yes, yes it did. Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    818518109497659393 818522983345991680 Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
    702553978211475456 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271 + Mobile Build 14267.1004 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    687334185501999104 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
    UPDATE: November 9th 2015 663817978471804928 663818555217985536 662328639673864192
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31.
    Find Us