Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
  1.    22 Jan 2017 #271
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    The Netherlands
    Posts : 628
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    All information from that post (which I am not able to find) is in my previous post here. That's all there is.
    Oke @Kari thanks a bunch!

    Greetz
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Jan 2017 #272
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It has been quite a while like this, in my opinion much longer than from 14986, if not from very beginning. When creating a new user account as a Microsoft account, the user profile name will be the FIRSTNAME part of email address (FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@EMAIL_PROVIDER.com) if the FIRSTNAME is exactly 5 characters long.

    If FIRSTNAME is shorter than 5 characters, the user profile name will be a 5 character abbreviation of full FIRSTNAME (1 to 4 characters) plus first characters from LASTNAME to make it full 5 characters. For instance jane.doe@anyemail.com would get user profile named as JaneD, ben.smith@anotheremail.com as BenSm, and so on.

    If the Microsoft account email only has one part before the @ sign, a 5 character abbreviation will be used for user profile name if it is*6 characters or longer, as it is if it is 5 characters or shorter.

    The simple "fix" is never to create a new user using Microsoft account. Always make it as local account, then as soon as signed in first time switch to Microsoft account. Local account's user profile name will always be exactly as the chosen username and it will not change when switched to a Microsoft account.

    Kari
    I had a problem with the following sequence:
    1. Create a local account with a name of "David"
    2. Attempt to add an MS account where the 1st 5 characters of the email address are "David"
    3. Get an error (can't remember exactly the message) saying I can't create the MS Account

    Could it be the explanation is there's no flexibility in the profile name which Windows tries to create at step 2, and this gives me the error at 3?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Jan 2017 #273
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,948
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I had a problem with the following sequence:
    1. Create a local account with a name of "David"
    2. Attempt to add an MS account where the 1st 5 characters of the email address are "David"
    3. Get an error (can't remember exactly the message) saying I can't create the MS Account

    Could it be the explanation is there's no flexibility in the profile name which Windows tries to create at step 2, and this gives me the error at 3?
    There must be another underlying reason. An example, must not be your case but I've lately noticed that Microsoft has stopped accepting Azure AD / O365 Business or Enterprise email addresses as third party email when creating a Microsoft account with an existing email address. It was possible earlier, for instance I have a few Azure AD email addresses which I also use as a Microsoft account email but trying to create a new one has lately given this message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	118117

    Microsoft will still accept a Gmail or Yahoo email address as existing email for a Microsoft account but the setup process recognizes if the given email is Azure AD (so called "work or school" address) and tells you to use another email or get an outlook.com address.

    Something similar might have happened to you. I always create my initial user as local account Kari, then when on desktop switch to a Microsoft account using whatever of my 10+ Microsoft account emails depending on what OneDrive and other sync options I want to use on that particular machine. My user profile name is always Kari, regardless which Microsoft account I then choose. If I select to switch to Microsoft account creating a new one, the above told guidelines apply: I can use a Gmail or Yahoo but not an Azure AD email address, or get a new (available) outlook.com address.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Jan 2017 #274
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    There must be another underlying reason. An example, must not be your case but I've lately noticed that Microsoft has stopped accepting Azure AD / O365 Business or Enterprise email addresses as third party email when creating a Microsoft account with an existing email address. It was possible earlier, for instance I have a few Azure AD email addresses which I also use as a Microsoft account email but trying to create a new one has lately given this message
    Thanks for that - that does indeed explain some problems I've been seeing.

    It may also be that this explains the problem I had with adding an MS account to Windows, although I think I saw this error a few months back and probably before MS changed the rules. I was wondering if the explanation was:
    1. Create a local account with a name of "David". Windows creates folder C:\Users\David and associated profile
    2. Attempt to add an MS account where the 1st 5 characters of the email address are "David". Windows tries to create another folder called C:\Users\David, but can't because it already exists for another profile, leading to:
    3. Get an error (can't remember exactly the message) saying I can't add the MS Account

    That said there are some other problems on this machine - it really needs a clean install - so perhaps that will fix it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Jan 2017 #275
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,948
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    That said there are some other problems on this machine - it really needs a clean install - so perhaps that will fix it.
    When a Windows user switches from local to Microsoft account, Windows does not create an additional profile, not even a temporary one.

    I admit there's some logic behind your reasoning, especially when you really have that exact five characters in your name and (logically) as FIRSTNAME in any FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@SomeProvider.com email address.

    However, that is not the cause. Although I am absolutely sure about this, I had to test: I have some outlook.com email addresses with exactly five characters as FIRSTNAME, no LASTNAME, addresses being like ABCDE@SomeEmailProvider.com. I created now a local account ABCDE, then switched it to Microsoft account ABCDE@SomeEmailProvider.com without any whatsoever issues.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Jan 2017 #276
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I admit there's some logic behind your reasoning, especially when you really have that exact five characters in your name and (logically) as FIRSTNAME in any FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME@SomeProvider.com email address.

    However, that is not the cause. Although I am absolutely sure about this, I had to test: I have some outlook.com email addresses with exactly five characters as FIRSTNAME, no LASTNAME, addresses being like ABCDE@SomeEmailProvider.com. I created now a local account ABCDE, then switched it to Microsoft account ABCDE@SomeEmailProvider.com without any whatsoever issues.
    Thanks for testing that Kari. In my case I want to keep both local and MS account as 2 separate accounts on the same machine, rather than switching the account type of one account, which sounds slightly different.
    My apologies that I didn't make clear that I was adding the second account rather than switching type.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Jan 2017 #277
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,948
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Thanks for testing that Kari. In my case I want to keep both local and MS account as 2 separate accounts on the same machine, rather than switching the account type of one account, which sounds slightly different.
    My apologies that I didn't make clear that I was adding the second account rather than switching type.
    OK, that's a totally different scenario and might cause system to deny account creation because it is trying to create another profile for another user account with exactly the same name / abbreviation.

    I will test this, give me a few minutes.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Jan 2017 #278
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,948
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    In my case I want to keep both local and MS account as 2 separate accounts on the same machine.
    OK tested both possible scenarios.

    First scenario: a Microsoft account user with profile name ABCDE exists, trying to create a new local user ABCDE fails, cause being that this profile name already exists:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	118124

    Not possible.

    Second scenario: a local account user ABCDE exists, trying to create a new Microsoft account user ABCDE@AnEmail.com. No issues in creating new Microsoft account user but because profile name ABCDE already exists, the new Microsoft account gets profile name ABCDE_xxxxxxx where xxxxxxx is a seemingly random 7 character string which apparently nothing to do with computer name (it would have been more logical if this new profile name had been ABCDE_PC-Name!):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	118126

    Works, with a strange profile name.

    Conclusion: create the local account first, then you can create a Microsoft account with same name although the profile gets a weird name. Other way around it does not (logically!) work, a local account with same profile name than an existing user account regardless if existing user is local or Microsoft account can't be done.

    Tested on a Hyper-V VM with Windows 10 build 15014 I just set up for this.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Jan 2017 #279
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    OK tested both possible scenarios.
    Great, thanks for testing that!

    So I should be able to create a local account and then an MS Account with the same 5 characters at the start.
    Although when I had the problems it was definitely on a machine where the local account was created first, which suggests it may have another problem. But hopefully if I clean install it I'll be able to have the accounts I want (as long as I create the local account first).

    Thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Jan 2017 #280
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,340
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    As pointed out to me in the previous build, desktop icons are now located in the control panel personalization link. It is not in themes anymore.
    Thanks you, that was what I needed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14959 for PC and Mobile
794223378068406272 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14959 for Mobile and PC | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14390 for PC and Mobile
753998239993651200 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14390 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14322
Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14322 720689247095664642 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14322 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29
10.0.10586.29.th2_release.151130-1909 672950566503362560 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums