Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    19 Jan 2017 #21
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,596
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

    I disliked 8 too purely on the start menu. I skipped from 7 straight to 10 because I didn't want my PC to look like some kind of giant smartphone GUI! I don't know what 8.1 was like and whether the start menu improved, i got the impression they did a half baked restore to familiarity. 3rd party start menus did not appeal, I always thought at some point they might go horribly wrong as some update takes exception to the 3rd party changes made. 10 makes a big improvement on the start menu in that respect. I hope 10 works out, it's got a lot of improving to do but it looks the part even though I find it more unpredictable than my wife's mood swings!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Jan 2017 #22
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,559
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.64

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy99 View Post
    I disliked 8 too purely on the start menu. I skipped from 7 straight to 10 because I didn't want my PC to look like some kind of giant smartphone GUI! I don't know what 8.1 was like and whether the start menu improved, i got the impression they did a half baked restore to familiarity. 3rd party start menus did not appeal, I always thought at some point they might go horribly wrong as some update takes exception to the 3rd party changes made. 10 makes a big improvement on the start menu in that respect. I hope 10 works out, it's got a lot of improving to do but it looks the part even though I find it more unpredictable than my wife's mood swings!
    LOL hope she does not read the last bit
    I had windows 8.1 and was glad when 10 came out, in my eyes the best OS so far and I have been using windows since 3.1 came out
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Jan 2017 #23
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    "Security" seems to be the solely argument to force people to move to W10.
    Well, for me that is no argument that justify to drop the last genuine Win32 OS.
    There are too many limitations on W10, for example about Desktop Colors, people are limited to few colors. In former Windows you could choose any of 16 Million, in W10 you have the choice of 24 Colors!
    In W10, system is limiting the access to the Registry that is a reason why many Software and Drivers stop working.
    Also in W10 there the "File and Folder" virtualization, which further makes older Software not working properly.
    Last, that forced OS Update policy without any user Control is more like a nightmare.
    Oh yes, and that "Data Collection" sending to MS Servers in Background is the "feature" that I most "love" in W10.
    Last edited by Adalwar; 20 Jan 2017 at 06:19.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Jan 2017 #24
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,408
    Windows 10 IoT

    Older software not working on a newer OS is nothing new. Its been that way since Windows 3.1.
    CPU's are 64 bit and have been for a while, even the ARM CPU on my Raspberry PI is 64 bit. Time to move on. Time for developers to get up to date actually. Asking the current version of Windows to be compatible with every piece of legacy software on the planet is lunacy.
    What? I can't get that color I want for my desktop, the sky is falling, Slight exaggeration, but really?

    The forced Windows update argument I agree with, that needs to change.
    The data collection has been going on for a long time. Good or bad its nothing new. Get over it. And its not only Microsoft that's doing it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Jan 2017 #25
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 537
    Windows 10

    @alphanumeric: I feel your arguments are going on circles, trying to vanish the reality of W10. W10 is a pitfall in many ways, mainly about user privacy. And the excuse the "others" are doing the same, is something irrational.
    About the 64Bit processor , it is a long time ago that Intel is only selling 64-Bit Processor , I think before XP was launched.
    It is a shame that someone is telling people they have to upgrade to W10 because of the 64-bit processor. I am sorry for you.
    And as for Compatibility, at least MS should say Older Software are likely more and more to be incompatibly with the very "new" OS, instead of making people believe everything is the "best" OS ever. Sure, W10 is a completely new OS and moving away from the "old" Win32 OS.
    The people should be informed correctly of what they are facing with W10 comparing with what they have with W7.
    Last edited by Adalwar; 20 Jan 2017 at 17:37.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Jan 2017 #26
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    What? I can't get that color I want for my desktop, the sky is falling, Slight exaggeration, but really?
    It's actually a bad thing for some users who suffer from what I think is called visual stress and some people with dyslexia.

    For these users, the ability to alter the windows background from white to some pastel colours makes it easier to read text and use the screen for longer periods. Although Windows 10 has some High Contrast themes, these users require the opposite and Low contrast, which isn't available.

    So for some people the removal of the ability to choose appropriate colours in Windows 10 it is a bigger issue than you may think.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Jan 2017 #27
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,554
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Also a reason for the lack of popularity for Windows 8, which was much better protected from non-genuine use.
    Why would anyone pirate an OS with such a ridiculously annoying and awful UI?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Jan 2017 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by sam2fish View Post
    That's why it pays to hold onto older software. I still have a old tower with sdr ram & a floppy drive, that I plan to put Dos 7.1 unto, just for fun.
    Having been there and done that, running an old DOS box is not much fun really. I'd setup a VM, install it in like 5 minutes, and then move onto something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    "Security" seems to be the solely argument to force people to move to W10.
    I'd actually say consistency. Easier for MS to support 1 OS. Especially the same core on Xbox and Windows Phone (for the 10 people that use it).
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2fish View Post
    , for me that is no argument that justify to drop the last genuine Win32 OS.
    I haven't had a need for a 32 bit OS that supports old 16 bit software in many years. I ran 64bit Windows 7. Being able to support more than 4GB of RAM was far more important to me than an old software title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    Last, that forced OS Update policy without any user Control is more like a nightmare.
    I don't care so much about the forced updates. I'm going to install all of the updates anyway. What I don't like is the complete lack of telling me how many MB or GB need to be downloaded for the update. It's all a mystery while you sit and watch the number climb to 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    yes, and that "Data Collection" sending to MS Servers in Background is the "feature" that I most "love" in W10.
    Windows 10 is not the first time MS has sent data in the background.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    21 Jan 2017 #29
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,408
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Adalwar View Post
    @alphanumeric: I feel your arguments are going on circles, trying to vanish the reality of W10. W10 is a pitfall in many ways, mainly about user privacy. And the excuse the "others" are doing the same, is something irrational.
    About the 64Bit processor , it is a long time ago that Intel is only selling 64-Bit Processor , I think before XP was launched.
    It is a shame that someone is telling people they have to upgrade to W10 because of the 64-bit processor. I am sorry for you.
    And as for Compatibility, at least MS should say Older Software are likely more and more to be incompatibly with the very "new" OS, instead of making people believe everything is the "best" OS ever. Sure, W10 is a completely new OS and moving away from the "old" Win32 OS.
    The people should be informed correctly of what they are facing with W10 comparing with what they have with W7.
    No where did I say "they have to upgrade to W10 because of the 64-bit processor" Please do not put words in my mouth.

    There is an x86 version of Windows 10 by the way. Same as previous versions.

    If you run the upgrade advisor, it will tell you (in most cases) what "old " software is incompatible. Microsoft does try to tell you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Jan 2017 #30
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,408
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    It's actually a bad thing for some users who suffer from what I think is called visual stress and some people with dyslexia.

    For these users, the ability to alter the windows background from white to some pastel colours makes it easier to read text and use the screen for longer periods. Although Windows 10 has some High Contrast themes, these users require the opposite and Low contrast, which isn't available.

    So for some people the removal of the ability to choose appropriate colours in Windows 10 it is a bigger issue than you may think.
    In that context I see your point. My apologies, I didn't realize the real issue. The way it was mentioned in the original post kind of sounded like nit picking to me. I got it wrong.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 22 Jan 2017 at 14:58.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Mobile Windows Phone 8.1 mainstream support ends 7/11/2017
Windows Phone 8.1 mainstream support ends 7/11/2017 Source:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=17945
Windows 10 News
Mobile Microsoft Reportedly Promises Support Windows 10 Mobile For Many Years
Read more: Microsoft Reportedly Promises to Support Windows 10 Mobile For - Thurrott.com
Windows 10 News
An old friend (W2k3 Server) ends support soon
Hi there probably IMO the best server Ms ever designed - and in version 2 you can use > 4GB even though it's "technically" a 32 bit OS. XP was based on it (in fact all XP stuff still runs on it) and it makes for an outstanding Virtual server....
General Support
Chrome Support for XP and Vista Ends in April 2016
Source: Google Chrome Blog: Updates to Chrome platform support
Windows 10 News
Windows 7 Mainstream Support Ends
Windows 7 Mainstream Free Support ends today... Windows 7 mainstream support ends today - CNET
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums