Windows 10: Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    04 Jan 2017 #11

    swarfega said: View Post
    Windows 10 Game Mode limited to Windows Store PC games.

    Read more: Windows 10 Game Mode limited to Windows Store PC games

    What a wasted opportunity.
    Maybe even stupid but not at all surprising considering MS's relentless push to UWP.
    On the other hand, many tried to make game "Sped-em-uppers" and failed miserably.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Jan 2017 #12

    Why do I have the feeling this game mode only deactivates apps for "improving performance" but nothing else?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jan 2017 #13

    CountMike said: View Post
    Looks like an extension to Xbox mode does that mean UWP only ?
    "Moreover, it seems like the Game Mode will be part of Microsoft’s Xbox brand just like “Xbox Game Streaming” or “Xbox Game DVR”
    "Game Mode will apparently adjust the resource allocation in Windows 10 when it’s enabled to prioritize games over other applications and processes".
    That's what third party "Optimisers" tried to do ,failing miserably.
    "third party"

    Well there's your problem. Third partys try to butcher existing code, while Microsoft is free to rewrite code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Jan 2017 #14

    FuturDreamz said: View Post
    "third party"

    Well there's your problem. Third partys try to butcher existing code, while Microsoft is free to rewrite code.
    They don't "try" to butcher existing code, they succeed, not a solution at all. Tried few when I had some lo end HW, no improvement. Some even made it worse !!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jan 2017 #15

    This reads more like another sad attempt to get people to use the Store/Xbox when they already get their software directly from vendors, or in the case of PC games places like Steam or Origin.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jan 2017 #16

    MrBill said: View Post
    This reads more like another sad attempt to get people to use the Store/Xbox when they already get their software directly from vendors, or in the case of PC games places like Steam or Origin.
    My thoughts too. Too much of UWP push.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 12,606
    Windows 10 Professional x64
       05 Jan 2017 #17

    As a Steam user and as with many things from MS Labs ... we will see
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jan 2017 #18

    CountMike said: View Post
    They don't "try" to butcher existing code, they succeed, not a solution at all. Tried few when I had some lo end HW, no improvement. Some even made it worse !!
    ...pardon? How did they succeed if they made no improvement, and they do NOT have access to the source code or have the ability to replace signed Microsoft code? All a Third party can do is **** with the settings and possibly destroy system critical parts. Microsoft can rewrite the kernel itself to optimize things. Manually forcing high-priority on tasks? Not going to work. Rewriting the kernel so it has RTOS capabilities? That WILL work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Jan 2017 #19

    FuturDreamz said: View Post
    ...pardon? How did they succeed if they made no improvement, and they do NOT have access to the source code or have the ability to replace signed Microsoft code? All a Third party can do is **** with the settings and possibly destroy system critical parts. Microsoft can rewrite the kernel itself to optimize things. Manually forcing high-priority on tasks? Not going to work. Rewriting the kernel so it has RTOS capabilities? That WILL work.
    "they" don't have to rewrite anything and certainly couldn't change anything in the kernel, OS wouldn't allow that to protected files. Most they do is shut down some services or threads and give certain parts like CPU higher priority. Those things could be done manually, no need for special programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    05 Jan 2017 #20

    CountMike said: View Post
    "they" don't have to rewrite anything and certainly couldn't change anything in the kernel, OS wouldn't allow that to protected files. Most they do is shut down some services or threads and give certain parts like CPU higher priority. Those things could be done manually, no need for special programs.
    I can tell you what I've done that vastly improved not only my uber desktop that runs the 8 core Intel extreme processor, but also helped my little Lenovo Yoga running an M3. In Group policy I disabled the 16 bit compatibility, which according to the description basically kills off the MSDOS service. You shouldn't need it, by per the description it improves performance, and they are correct. On my Yoga I killed off all the compatibility settings because I don't game on there. I know that sounds ironic given the topic, but some steam games, like Flight Sim X and add-ons may require some compatiblity. In any case, for newer PC games you should be able to shut all that down and it will speed up your PC. I've seen that first hand.

    I doubt that is what Microsoft is doing, but if you are looking for a do it yourself, and only run programs that have appeared in the last couple of years you can help yourself out.

    I'm sure in the Home Edition there are registry hacks, but unfortunately I only run pro, so I don't know what those are.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Microsoft bringing new 'Game Mode' to Windows 10 for an enhanced PC gaming experience | Windows Central This would be really nice, especially if it's not locked to just UWP games. Maybe it would make it so I don't have to manually set the...
Hi everyone. Yesterday I made an update from AVG, which needed the pc to be restarted. I did restarted it, and during the update it gave me an error page starting with " :( " and after it...my pc wouldn't work anymore. When I started it, it...
Recently upgraded a friends computer to windows 10 and we're running into an annoying issue while playing a low resolution (800x600?) game. The game boots up fine and everything is great until we pause and come out of sleep mode when the whole image...
so im placing the computer in sleep mode sometimes it goes to sleep and then wakes up after 1 min or it just turns of the screens. i found it in the event viewer but that wasn't so much of a help... i think i turned of almost everything in device...
I've found that Microsoft has re-released an old game that came free with Windows 95, Microsoft Hover. It now runs in Windows 10 and is free in the Microsoft Store. Microsoft Hover is a game where you drive a sort of hovercraft / bumper car to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47.
Find Us