Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Feb 2015
    Posts : 0
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971
       22 Jun 2015 #11

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Well,, this was likely written by a group of people and I still want to see a more detailed explanation of what the plan is.
    They don't say what happens if you want to opt out a build or two or five after the RTM, what if in October I want to have just W10 do I reinstall 8.1 and do the upgrade, what if it's a year am I then SOL? This is more of a fly by night exercise than a planned program. They didn't know what they wanted to do when this program started and still have not showed the ability to plan ahead and explain the possibilities clearly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,675
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       22 Jun 2015 #12

    groze said: View Post
    Thank you DavidY for the post.

    It is back to seven for me. I don't want to keep testing or let 10 consume a key. I only have one.


    I wonder how many insiders will drop out of the program.
    I won't. I'll continue to test and also give up keys for Windows 7 and/or 8.1. I see no difference between upgrading Windows Vista to Windows 7 and upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10. Either way, if you acquire an upgrade package (Win 7 upgrade package or Win 10 upgrade package (free upgrade), your older product key becomes invalid.

    I would be willing to wager money that the very vast majority of folks won't even blink as their systems upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       22 Jun 2015 #13

    JohnC said: View Post
    They don't say what happens if you want to opt out a build or two or five after the RTM, what if in October I want to have just W10 do I reinstall 8.1 and do the upgrade, what if it's a year am I then SOL? This is more of a fly by night exercise than a planned program. They didn't know what they wanted to do when this program started and still have not showed the ability to plan ahead and explain the possibilities clearly.
    Oh, come on. Really? They also didn't say what happens if you uninstall during a full moon. How many different ways can you analyze this?

    It seems clear to me. *ANY TIME* after July 29th, if you opt out of Insider builds, you will need a valid license. Either because you upgraded during the first year, or because you bought it. If you don't have a valid license, you need to acquire one or go back to your old OS. It's really that simple.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Jun 2015 #14

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    This is turning into a 3 ring circus. I might just fork over the $169 and then I can do whatever the H*%$ I want to!
    Same here.. heck I might just use the upgrade with my Win8.1 OS and then get a copy from NewEgg or Amazon.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,541
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       22 Jun 2015 #15

    Mystere said: View Post
    Oh, come on. Really? They also didn't say what happens if you uninstall during a full moon. How many different ways can you analyze this?

    It seems clear to me. *ANY TIME* after July 29th, if you opt out of Insider builds, you will need a valid license. Either because you upgraded during the first year, or because you bought it. If you don't have a valid license, you need to acquire one or go back to your old OS. It's really that simple.
    I agree with Mystere
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 952
    Windows 8.1, 10
       22 Jun 2015 #16

    Timing is an interesting point after 28 July 2016 though - if I stayed as an Insider for a year but wanted to stop, I would presumably no longer have the option to use my Windows 8.x licence to get Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       22 Jun 2015 #17

    groze said: View Post
    I agree with Mystere
    If you opt out after the 29th your Windows 7 license will still be in tact. If not them I will drop out long before the 29Th,??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,389
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       22 Jun 2015 #18

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Same here.. heck I might just use the upgrade with my Win8.1 OS and then get a copy from NewEgg or Amazon.
    If I read you right, give'em your 8.1 for 10, and buy a retail 8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       22 Jun 2015 #19

    DavidY said: View Post
    Timing is an interesting point after 28 July 2016 though - if I stayed as an Insider for a year but wanted to stop, I would presumably no longer have the option to use my Windows 8.x licence to get Windows 10.
    But you still will be able to use Windows 8.xx I think.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Jun 2015 #20

    JohnC said: View Post
    They don't say what happens if you want to opt out a build or two or five after the RTM, what if in October I want to have just W10 do I reinstall 8.1 and do the upgrade, what if it's a year am I then SOL? This is more of a fly by night exercise than a planned program. They didn't know what they wanted to do when this program started and still have not showed the ability to plan ahead and explain the possibilities clearly.
    What?? I just plan on uninstalling the preview .. use Win8.1 and upgrade it to the final release of WIn10. What you want to do is up to you not me or anyone else here.

    Simple for me.. Remove Win10 Preview.. Take my Win8.1 instillation and upgrade to Win10. And later on purchase a copy of Win10 from Amazon or NewEgg.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build from RTM development branch TH1
Read more: Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build will be from RTM development branch "TH1"
Windows 10 News
Insider Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds
Source: Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds UPDATE HERE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/7306-upcoming-changes-windows-10-insider-preview-builds-updated-6-22-a.html How to Backup and Restore your Project Spartan...
Windows 10 News
Problem with getting Insider Builds thru Windows Update
I like many others have been having a problem getting my Windows Update set up to get insider builds. Even though I had signed in using my Microsoft account, I get getting the "Fix me" button which gave me a message about stopping insider builds. ...
Windows Insider
Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
Read more: Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums