Windows 10: Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds Insider

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

  1. Posts : 21,778
    Dual boot - Win 10 Pro & Win 10 Insider (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       23 Jun 2015 #301

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Yes, just be aware of the restrictions of the OEM version over a full Retail version. You can't call Microsoft for phone support, for Windows issues. They'll just tell you to contact the OEM. In this case that's you. You also can't transfer an OEM version from one PC to another like you can with a Retail version. It's tied to the motherboard its first activated on. It's cheaper for a reason.
    That's the most simplistic, straight answer on that subject I have ever heard! Thanks! I'd rep u but can't on this thread.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    23 Jun 2015 #302

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Yes, just be aware of the restrictions of the OEM version over a full Retail version. You can't call Microsoft for phone support, for Windows issues. They'll just tell you to contact the OEM. In this case that's you. You also can't transfer an OEM version from one PC to another like you can with a Retail version. It's tied to the motherboard its first activated on. It's cheaper for a reason.
    We don't know if the Windows 10 terms will be the same as Windows 8.x in regards to purchasing an OEM license, however, if they are then you will be able to buy a "System Builder" OEM copy, and if you are the owner you can transfer it to another PC.

    The difference is whether you are buying it for yourself or for resale with a PC. If you build a PC for sale, then it cannot be transferred to another computer. If you are building it for your own use, then you can.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Jun 2015 #303

    Mystere said: View Post
    We don't know if the Windows 10 terms will be the same as Windows 8.x in regards to purchasing an OEM license, however, if they are then you will be able to buy a "System Builder" OEM copy, and if you are the owner you can transfer it to another PC.

    The difference is whether you are buying it for yourself or for resale with a PC. If you build a PC for sale, then it cannot be transferred to another computer. If you are building it for your own use, then you can.
    Mystere that the first I heard of that.

    I thought system builders basically install the system, then have to sell the system, then support the system. Which I think kind of stinks, because other big Oems like Dell can limit to how long they will support the product.

    No one has said you couldn't purchase the system yourself then support yourself though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Jun 2015 #304

    groze said: View Post
    Mystere that the first I heard of that.

    I thought system builders basically install the system, then have to sell the system, then support the system. Which I think kind of stinks, because other big Oems like Dell can limit to how long they will support the product.
    Windows 8 system builder licence transfere - Microsoft Community
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,263
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       23 Jun 2015 #305

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Yes, just be aware of the restrictions of the OEM version over a full Retail version. You can't call Microsoft for phone support, for Windows issues. They'll just tell you to contact the OEM. In this case that's you. You also can't transfer an OEM version from one PC to another like you can with a Retail version. It's tied to the motherboard its first activated on. It's cheaper for a reason.
    Alpha, have you seen anything other than OEM versions of Windows 10 available? I just checked Amazon.com and there's a disclaimer saying they don't know if or when it will be available. As we know, Newegg seems to have only OEM copies.

    For some reason, I'm getting the distinct feeling that only Windows 10 OEM is going to be available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Jun 2015 #306

    Wynona said: View Post
    Alpha, have you seen anything other than OEM versions of Windows 10 available? I just checked Amazon.com and there's a disclaimer saying they don't know if or when it will be available. As we know, Newegg seems to have only OEM copies.

    For some reason, I'm getting the distinct feeling that only Windows 10 OEM is going to be available.
    I haven't been looking. I won't be buying it, not for me anyway, so I haven't paid all that much attention to whether its out there or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    25 Jun 2015 #307

    hehe Shawn,

    reading your posts, keeps reminding me why this is the best Windows board EVER.

    Jeff

    who is just back from vacation
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,962
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       25 Jun 2015 #308

    After final release and staying on the insider programme, one must question, is it safe to conduct ones financial affairs online knowing that there is direct contact between both yourself and Microsoft?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 8,290
    Windows 10 Professional
       25 Jun 2015 #309

    dencal said: View Post
    After final release and staying on the insider programme, one must question, is it safe to conduct ones financial affairs online knowing that there is direct contact between both yourself and Microsoft?
    I would do some serious research into that.
    I have discussed the likes of this with my financial institution telling them that the OS, (W10TP), was beta and susceptible to the 'prying eyes' of MS and perhaps others and they could not give me a solid answer but advised against it.
    Some financial institutions provide extra layers of protection, but still, I would speak with your own if I were you.

    My online habits are pretty liberal but, I won't do banking or conduct my government affairs online if at all possible.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    25 Jun 2015 #310

    Is this still the case even with all options relating to sharing info turned off in the preview?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build will be from RTM development branch "TH1"
I like many others have been having a problem getting my Windows Update set up to get insider builds. Even though I had signed in using my Microsoft account, I get getting the "Fix me" button which gave me a message about stopping insider builds. ...
Here's a new version of this... Source (Mods feel free to move back if you don't think it deserves its own thread - but it's changed significantly from the last one , so I thought having it as post 1 of its own thread would be useful to...
Read more: Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:29.
Find Us