Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
  1.    23 Jun 2015 #291
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I see.. My plan is to go from Win8.1 to Win10 so I suspect they will use my existing Win8.1 key. But time will tell on what really occurs.
    I did an upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 and my key changed there too. I'm just passing on info I've actually seen with my own eyes is all. Time will tell as they say.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Jun 2015 #292
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,723
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by DooGie View Post
    So what will happen if I have a retail Win 7 dvd not an OEM one. I've changed most every bit of hardware in my PC since I built it and never had to reactivate it over the phone.
    Guess it will be interesting to see what happens with Windows 10.
    Not my area of no-how, but if your's is a roll-your-own, no key was ever flashed into the bios. So, it's in the system files hiding somewhere and activates automatically.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    23 Jun 2015 #293
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,932
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by DooGie View Post
    Your first point is the worrying thing for me Wynona. I thought it was just me missing something about the Windows 7 license but obviously it's not. Fact is no one except Microsft know yet.
    I would have thought it fair that if you completely remove the 10 upgrade from your PC then the 7 key should be available again to reinstall 7.

    Having said that I'm liking 10 at the moment apart from a slow boot time.
    And you may well be able to do that; we just don't know at this point.

    Regarding your slow boot time; do you have fast boot enabled? That could be your problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Jun 2015 #294
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Not my area of no-how, but if your's is a roll-your-own, no key was ever flashed into the bios. So, it's in the system files hiding somewhere and activates automatically.
    The key used to activate Windows is stored in the registry. It's not in plain text but its there. My laptop came with Windows 8.0, that key is in the BIOS and stored in the Windows registry. If I run showkey the two keys match. If I upgrade via add features to Pro. The key stored in the registry becomes the Pro key. showkey shows two different keys. Upgrade to Media Center and the key in the registry becomes the MC key. For Windows 10 to get the true key in use it will have to pull it from the Windows registry.

    Windows 7 keys, even OEM keys, are not stored in the registry BIOS. There may be OEM activation info on an OEM PC but no product code is stored there. Windows 7 uses OA 2.1 and Windows 8 uses OA 3.0. OA stands for OEM Activation. If Windows 10 pulls a key for Windows 7 its going to get it from the Windows Registry, not the BIOS. Whether its OEM or Retail doesn't really matter as far as retrieving the key goes for Windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Jun 2015 #295
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,723
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The key used to activate Windows is stored in the registry. It's not in plain text but its there. My laptop came with Windows 8.0, that key is in the BIOS and stored in the Windows registry. If I run showkey the two keys match. If I upgrade via add features to Pro. The key stored in the registry becomes the Pro key. showkey shows two different keys. Upgrade to Media Center and the key in the registry becomes the MC key. For Windows 10 to get the true key in use it will have to pull it from the Windows registry.

    Windows 7 keys, even OEM keys, are not stored in the BIOS. There may be OEM activation info on an OEM PC but no product code is stored there. Windows 7 uses OA 2.1 and Windows 8 uses OA 3.0. OA stands for OEM Activation. If Windows 10 pulls a key for Windows 7 its going to get it from the Windows Registry, not the BIOS. Whether its OEM or Retail doesn't really matter as far as retrieving the key goes for Windows 7.
    This is right off the Newegg site. What does it mean? Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM

    http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-32-416-778&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Operating+Systems-_-9B-32-416-778&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7B8ETGNm87J-637rLoTBZ1jAr07YnbGsuKihGS2u8uBoC75fw_wcB
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    23 Jun 2015 #296
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 2,961
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1709

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    And you may well be able to do that; we just don't know at this point.

    Regarding your slow boot time; do you have fast boot enabled? That could be your problem.
    I've never had any success dual booting when fast boot is enabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Jun 2015 #297
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    This is right off the Newegg site. What does it mean? Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM

    http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-32-416-778&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Operating+Systems-_-9B-32-416-778&gclid=CjwKEAjwh6SsBRCYrKHF7J3NjicSJACUxAh7B8ETGNm87J-637rLoTBZ1jAr07YnbGsuKihGS2u8uBoC75fw_wcB
    You can buy OEM system builder editions. I've done it for Windows 7. If your a small mom and pop computer store building custom systems the OEM version is a lot cheaper than the full Retail version. The factory OEM versions from say Dell or HP are a step above that and coded to work with a custom matching BIOS. The Newegg version you posted comes with its own COA sticker with the product code on it. You use that code when you install and activate it on the PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Jun 2015 #298
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,932
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by DooGie View Post
    I've never had any success dual booting when fast boot is enabled.
    Very strange. I'm dual booting and the boot screen comes up within seconds, as does the lock screen after I've chosen Windows 10.

    However, when I choose to boot to Windows 8.1, that's another story. It takes almost as long as Windows 7 took to boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Jun 2015 #299
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,723
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You can buy OEM system builder editions. I've done it for Windows 7. If your a small mom and pop computer store building custom systems the OEM version is a lot cheaper than the full Retail version. The factory OEM versions from say Dell or HP are a step above that and coded to work with a custom matching BIOS. The Newegg version you posted comes with its own COA sticker with the product code on it. You use that code when you install and activate it on the PC.
    So, for my purposes, simple home office setup, it would be ok to consider a 10 oem from Newegg if I wanted to and no problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    23 Jun 2015 #300
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,612
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    So, for my purposes, simple home office setup, it would be ok to consider a 10 oem from Newegg if I wanted to and no problems.
    Yes, just be aware of the restrictions of the OEM version over a full Retail version. You can't call Microsoft for phone support, for Windows issues. They'll just tell you to contact the OEM. In this case that's you. You also can't transfer an OEM version from one PC to another like you can with a Retail version. It's tied to the motherboard its first activated on. It's cheaper for a reason.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build from RTM development branch TH1
Read more: Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build will be from RTM development branch "TH1"
Windows 10 News
Problem with getting Insider Builds thru Windows Update
I like many others have been having a problem getting my Windows Update set up to get insider builds. Even though I had signed in using my Microsoft account, I get getting the "Fix me" button which gave me a message about stopping insider builds. ...
Windows Insider
Insider Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds [UPDATED 6/22]
Here's a new version of this... Source (Mods feel free to move back if you don't think it deserves its own thread - but it's changed significantly from the last one , so I thought having it as post 1 of its own thread would be useful to...
Windows 10 News
Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
Read more: Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums