Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
  1.    25 Jun 2015 #351
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,501
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by dskiller View Post
    I was running this build most of the day and was playing GTA V for 3 hours before the game crashed due to memory leak. it was around 8gb usage,

    any way I decided to reboot my machine and boot into my windows 8.1 install and logged in, but I changed my mind and booted back into my windows 10 install.


    now it wont log in.

    I enter my password and it just sits there with the spinning dots. HDD activity stops and dots still spin. waited about 10 minutes and hit reset. and it got stuck at the screen again.

    I have no problems logging into safe mod

    I ran sfc and check disk and still the still gets stuck at login.

    so for now I booted back into windows 8.1 and no problems there.

    It is no longer possible to have running W8.1 and W10 in combo as M$ locks the drive.
    As W10 is to be an updated version of W8.1 they are inextricabally linked, so to use either you must disconnect one ot the other.

    To free your locked W10 disconnect W8.1, restart your computer, and using your W10 iso you can repair the drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    25 Jun 2015 #352
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    It is no longer possible to have running W8.1 and W10 in combo as M$ locks the drive.
    As W10 is to be an updated version of W8.1 they are inextricabally linked, so to use either you must disconnect one ot the other.

    To free your locked W10 disconnect W8.1, restart your computer, and using your W10 iso you can repair the drive.
    This is not even a bit true.

    More than likely you're simply running into the "Fast boot" problem. Windows 10 and 8.1 both write part of memory to disk when you have fast startup enabled on shutdown. When you try to bootup the other OS, it reads the previous memory (but it's from a different OS) and fails.

    Turning off fast startup solves the problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Jun 2015 #353
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Orlando
    Posts : 87
    Win7/win8.1/win10

    fast startup was already off.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Jun 2015 #354
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Texas
    Posts : 220
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    This is not even a bit true.

    More than likely you're simply running into the "Fast boot" problem. Windows 10 and 8.1 both write part of memory to disk when you have fast startup enabled on shutdown. When you try to bootup the other OS, it reads the previous memory (but it's from a different OS) and fails.

    Turning off fast startup solves the problem.
    I am dual booting Win 10 10147 and Win 8.1 pro and haven't had any drive lock up problems. I don't have fast startup turned on and never have so that is quite possibly why, but he may have a different issue with his set up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Jun 2015 #355
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dskiller View Post
    fast startup was already off.
    I was talking about Dencal's claims, not about your problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Jun 2015 #356
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,501
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I was talking about Dencal's claims, not about your problem.
    Fast start off ..the following has occurred each time I have connected the two drives together.



    • I suppose after faultless updates on all W10 previews from the beginning it was inevitable that something unforeseen would occur.
      This latest update caused havoc, reason being "locked drive" which changed NTFS to RAW on "E" Drive.
      I must explain, my setup consists of two SSD,s .."C" Drive W8.1 Pro and "E" Drive W10.

      Not only was "E" drive affected, "C" drive needed a scannow and a dism to correct a corrupted W8.1.

      All attempts to open W10 using all the Advanced methods failed, including Safe mode Admin, due to locked drive.
      Finally solved the problem by disconnecting "D" Drive, had to fix corrupted drive "C" then reconnecting "D" drive which then proceeded to "scanning and repairing drive" which appears to have solved the problem, though I am not holding my breath. see att,s.
      Attached Images
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    25 Jun 2015 #357
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Fast start off ..the following has occurred each time I have connected the two drives together.
    It's beta software, disk corruption happens. A lot of times this is because you are running a third party anti-virus. However, even if you weren't running anything that could corrupt data, it's still beta code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Jun 2015 #358
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,501
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    This is not even a bit true.

    More than likely you're simply running into the "Fast boot" problem. Windows 10 and 8.1 both write part of memory to disk when you have fast startup enabled on shutdown. When you try to bootup the other OS, it reads the previous memory (but it's from a different OS) and fails.

    Turning off fast startup solves the problem.
    Do you really think by updating W8.1 to W10, it will still be possible to run the two in conjunction, when one has been updated so W8.1 would be redundant ie- no longer obtainable without reinstating.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    25 Jun 2015 #359
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Do you really think by updating W8.1 to W10, it will still be possible to run the two in conjunction, when one has been updated so W8.1 would be redundant ie- no longer obtainable without reinstating.
    What you've said here makes no sense. How can you run 8.1 if you've upgraded it? Obviously to run both you would need two different copies on two different partitions, as you show in your images.

    I can't quite make out what you're trying to say.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Jun 2015 #360
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,660
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    What you've said here makes no sense. How can you run 8.1 if you've upgraded it? Obviously to run both you would need two different copies on two different partitions, as you show in your images.

    I can't quite make out what you're trying to say.
    I think he's saying the he had a clone of 8.1 upgraded to 10 and in dual-boot with the original 8.1? Just guessing.
    But I don't see why 8.1 had to be upgraded to 10 at this point when the preview is free as a stand alone OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Build 10147 showcasing improved UI
Source
Windows 10 News
IP build 10130 Home to 10147 Pro w/new key - Slow/Fast Build issues
Hi I just installed the Win 10 Home 64 Bit Insider Preview Build 10130 about a week ago and had issues with it not allowing any updates other than for some of my hardware drivers and MS Defender updates (I am aware of the KBXXXXX patch to address...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved install of leaked 10147
Just as the title states; whats the best way to try and do a clean install of this leaked iso without doing away with my current files, pics, etc that are currently on my hd. Ive tried a few different ways some people have already suggessted to no...
Installation and Upgrade
New Build after 10147 ?
I understood there was to be a new build after 10147 to be available 6/23. It may be scuttlebutt. Is anyone aware of such. I have a few issues with Cortana I would be curious to see if they remain or not.
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums