Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
  1.    12 Dec 2016 #521
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 30,410
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    It cleans up the WinSxS folder(component store), cleans out Windows update folder and the windows.old folder, checks system file integrity, and runs winsat so Windows can make any needed OS adjustments for installed hardware like SSDs.

    *winsat formal will not work in a virtual machine though, and will show such a message
    *cleaning out Windows Update get's rid of the install/uninstall folders, so after running, you will NOT be able to uninstall any updates if one is causing any problems.
    *cleaning Windows side by side only cleans old unneeded files, like if you uninstalled a program, and the modified Windows API copies will be deleted.

    Also see this post: Solved Intel HD 4600 DirectX - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks, Cliff.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    12 Dec 2016 #522
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,481
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Thanks, Cliff.
    You're welcome
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    12 Dec 2016 #523
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 558
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT

    This build is causing me some problems with the Edge, it closes itself after about 30 seconds, not every time, but in about 20% of starts.
    Also my copy of the free Malwarebytes has disappeared.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Dec 2016 #524
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,823
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by tinmar49 View Post
    This build is causing me some problems with the Edge, it closes itself after about 30 seconds, not every time, but in about 20% of starts.
    Also my copy of the free Malwarebytes has disappeared.
    Malwarebytes free you can reinstall by changing original file name to anything you want. I changed my to mbam.exe and it installed properly.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    12 Dec 2016 #525
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Watford
    Posts : 15,374
    Windows 10 Home 64bit

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Malwarebytes free you can reinstall by changing original file name to anything you want. I changed my to mbam.exe and it installed properly.
    Are you sure it was uninstalled. Not this release but the previous one (I can't use this one) all it did was remove the Start Menu entry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Dec 2016 #526
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,823
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
    Are you sure it was uninstalled. Not this release but the previous one (I can't use this one) all it did was remove the Start Menu entry.
    Yes, folder and everything was gone. It wouldn't install mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe until I changed name as someone else also suggest. Forgot now who did it but I'd like to rep him for it, So "guilty" party please confess !
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    12 Dec 2016 #527
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 1,059
    WinX Pro x64 IP current

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    @johngalt

    John, I don't think there is a "formal" post, per se. It was recommended to me and supplied by member @Cliff S. In general, it cleans up and verifies files and integrity, and re-evaluates system health. Maybe Cliff could explain better.

    Wasn't intended as any explanation for your issue, just something I do after every new build or clean install.

    TC
    Ahhhh, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    It cleans up the WinSxS folder(component store), cleans out Windows update folder and the windows.old folder, checks system file integrity, and runs winsat so Windows can make any needed OS adjustments for installed hardware like SSDs.

    *winsat formal will not work in a virtual machine though, and will show such a message
    *cleaning out Windows Update get's rid of the install/uninstall folders, so after running, you will NOT be able to uninstall any updates if one is causing any problems.
    *cleaning Windows side by side only cleans old unneeded files, like if you uninstalled a program, and the modified Windows API copies will be deleted.

    Also see this post: Solved Intel HD 4600 DirectX - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks for the details as well. I will keep it around for use later on down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinmar49 View Post
    This build is causing me some problems with the Edge, it closes itself after about 30 seconds, not every time, but in about 20% of starts.
    Also my copy of the free Malwarebytes has disappeared.
    Yup, known issue with MBAM 2.x and build 14986
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Malwarebytes free you can reinstall by changing original file name to anything you want. I changed my to mbam.exe and it installed properly.
    Correct, for MBAM 2.x. MB 3 had no issues installing.

    This build also had issues with MBAE / Any-Exploit in MB 3/
    Quote Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
    Are you sure it was uninstalled. Not this release but the previous one (I can't use this one) all it did was remove the Start Menu entry.
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Yes, folder and everything was gone. It wouldn't install mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe until I changed name as someone else also suggest. Forgot now who did it but I'd like to rep him for it, So "guilty" party please confess !
    It was way back in the thread, IIRC
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    12 Dec 2016 #528
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts : 880
    Windows 1.00 to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 14971.1000

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The fact that UUP upgrade does not have install.esd file anymore does not mean Microsoft has abandoned their relatively new software distribution format, first seen by Windows 8 users upgrading to 8.1.. ESD (Electronic Software Distribution) files will most certainly be an integral part of Windows upgrades also in the future.

    However, there are ESD files and then there are ESD files .

    The ESD file we had on upgrades was in fact an encrypted install.wim file, which in its turn is The Windows, containing complete Windows setup, everything needed to install it. Other ESD files in this software distribution model found in other folders are not the same.
    There was a file in the Windows directory Professional_en-gb.esd which unzipped to three folders. Folder 1 has a setup file which properties gives as 14986. I'm wondering what it's for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Dec 2016 #529
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 26,505
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17074
    Thread Starter

    Update:
    #WindowsInsiders : We are looking at weekend test data & choosing a good build for the week so no new builds today.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    12 Dec 2016 #530
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 1,059
    WinX Pro x64 IP current

    Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    There was a file in the Windows directory Professional_en-gb.esd which unzipped to three folders. Folder 1 has a setup file which properties gives as 14986. I'm wondering what it's for.
    My guess is that is what is used to set up the new partition that UUP-Enabled method does.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11102
690233336740974592 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11102 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565
UPDATE 3: Microsoft Releases PC build 10565 to Insiders in the Slow ring today. 655071954639020032 UPDATE 2: Download: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html#option3
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10122 for PCs
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10122-for-pcs/ https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html UPDATES: 601080802793922560
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums