Windows 10: Bad news for insiders they will have to give up a key for the RTM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Jun 2015 #41

    groze said: View Post
    [...]Of course, you can remove 10 and go back to 8.1 or 7. Just like you could remove windowsME and go back to windows 98se without violating the eula.
    and how is this "giving up a key or a license"?

    the only thing it is ...is "giving up a windows installation"

    but even that is not correct... because basically you have one installation before the upgrade and one installation after.
    in the standard case...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,551
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2015 #42

    Fragment said: View Post
    and how is this "giving up a key or a license"?

    the only thing it is ...is "giving up a windows installation"

    but even that is not correct... because basically you have one installation before the upgrade and one installation after.
    in the standard case...
    How is my example not correct? In fact I have been told by a MVP and MSFT way in the past from the old Microsoft newsgroups refeing to windowsME upgrade..

    Once you upgrade windows 98se install to windowsME using a windowsME upgrade disk, you lose the right to use that Windows 98se install unless you remove the WindowsME upgrade install.

    On the Windows 10 issue
    Once you upgrade windows 7 install to window 10, you lose the right to use that Windows 7 install unless you remove the Windows10 upgrade install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,739
    Windows 10 Home x64 Windows 10 Prox64
       16 Jun 2015 #43

    I think this is where people are getting confused. MS is giving a free Windows 10 upgrade licence. Not a full install licence.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    16 Jun 2015 #44

    groze said: View Post
    How is my example not correct? In fact I have been told by a MVP and MSFT way in the past from the old Microsoft newsgroups refeing to windowsME upgrade..

    Once you upgrade windows 98se install to windowsME using a windowsME upgrade disk, you lose the right to use that Windows 98se install unless you remove the WindowsME upgrade install.

    On the Windows 10 issue
    Once you upgrade windows 7 install to window 10, you lose the right to use that Windows 7 install unless you remove the Windows10 upgrade install.
    Let's see... losing means never to get something back. Right?? SO if you can still use the license to use Win7/WIn8.1 again(if uninstall WIn10) you didn't lose anything.

    You would only lose it if you couldn't go back to the previous OS or you had to purchase a new key/license.

    See??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Jun 2015 #45

    rvbfan said: View Post
    I think this is where people are getting confused. MS is giving a free Windows 10 upgrade licence. Not a full install licence.
    No.. you can get the ISO as well and it's a full upgrade. How would you get anything but a full license to use WIn10??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,551
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2015 #46

    rvbfan said: View Post
    I think this is where people are getting confused. MS is giving a free Windows 10 upgrade license. Not a full install license.


    That explanation is so much simpler than my example.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,739
    Windows 10 Home x64 Windows 10 Prox64
       16 Jun 2015 #47

    Same way you got an upgrade disk for 7 or 8. I can do a clean install with my Windows 7 disk. It just needs to see it had a qualifying os.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    16 Jun 2015 #48

    groze said: View Post


    That explanation is so much simpler than my example. That why I have been trying to explain. At least you got it.
    NO.. you get a full license to Win10.. just what do you think the license you will get will be?? It's a transferable license.. you can use the one for Win7/Win8.1 and Win10 but only one of them at at time.

    See??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,551
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       16 Jun 2015 #49

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    NO.. you get a full license to Win10.. just what do you think the license you will get will be?? It's a transferable license.. you can use the one for Win7/Win8.1 and Win10 but only one of them at at time.

    See??

    Could I see a link for that? So I could continue legally with this set up without having to show prove of a windows 7 or 8 license?

    Windows 7 Oem-slp clean install partition 1 (Note this is a dell legal install, I was provided a re-installation disk)
    Windows 10 preview partition 2 clean install which would become Windows 10 RTM
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,739
    Windows 10 Home x64 Windows 10 Prox64
       16 Jun 2015 #50

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    you can use the one for Win7/Win8.1 and Win10 but only one of them at at time.

    See??
    Which makes it an upgrade licence. I have a full copy of 7 and 8 I can run both on the same machine if I want. If I have a full 7 but an upgrade 8, I can only run one or the other. Now things may change, but at this point that is what is being suggested.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Specifically, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderDesktop, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderMobile Story if you are interested: So I upgrade from...
Hi there 1) Congrats @10 Forums --just over 15,000 online currently (12.15 GMT / 13/15 BST) Most ever !!!! 2) If you have SKY New -this evening Ms is to give an interview on W10 and the future direction of Ms including Mobiles etc. You can...
Yup, for the person who comes up with the best bunny picture they get the key, I have a spare so I don't need it. Or just provides a good reason why you need it you get it. ;)
Give Me a Clue in General Support
Trying to post in Chillout Forum and get this . 11652
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:03.
Find Us