In May, we released
Office Online Server (OOS), which allows organizations to provide your users with browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote, among other capabilities offered in Office Online
, from your own datacenter. We will deliver most of new Office Online features to Office Online through regular updates.
Today,we are releasing our first significant update to Office Online Server that includes:
- Performance improvements to co-authoring in Word Online.
- Support for embedded Power View sheets in Excel Online.
- Improvements when working with tables in Word Online and PowerPoint Online, including better drag-and-drop support.
- Support for showing spelling errors inline in the PowerPoint editor.
- Improved picture resizing in Word Online.
- Copy and paste improvements in PowerPoint Online.
- Support for shapes in Excel Online viewer.
- Significant improvements for users that rely on assistive technologies—HTML markup updated to more fully support W3C accessibility standards.
We encourage Office Online Server customers to visit the Volume License Servicing Center
to download the November release. You must uninstall the previous version of OOS to install the November release. Moving forward, we have a release planned every four months to ensure that we can continuously deliver new value to OOS users. We will only support the latest version of OOS with bug fixes and security patches, available via the Microsoft Updates. Finally, we will announce a more detailed timeline for future releases within the next two weeks.
Customers with a Volume Licensing account can download Office Online Server from the Volume License Servicing Center
at no cost and will have view-only functionality, which includes PowerPoint sharing in Skype for Business. Customers that require document creation, edit and save functionality in Office Online Server need to have an on-premises Office Suite license with Software Assurance or an Office 365 ProPlus subscription. For more information on licensing requirements, please refer to our product terms