Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Dec 2016 #391
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,928
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    Quote Originally Posted by martyfelker View Post
    Did the same as you. No install.esd. However I wouldn't want one for 14871 anyway. As others have said - very buggy. I hope all the time before a new build will yield something better next week. Enjoying Windows Server 2016 until then
    Well, have to disagree. 14971 is running great here. There are some problems, but they are listed in announcement. Not much difference for user from previous builds thou ... Better than last two or three builds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Dec 2016 #392
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,573
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTen View Post
    Well, have to disagree. 14971 is running great here. There are some problems, but they are listed in announcement. Not much difference for user from previous builds thou ... Better than last two or three builds.
    I have to agree with you, Andre. Even my networked printer that I've had to use a USB cable with no longer requires it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Dec 2016 #393
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 729
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    I clean installed 14971 after playing around with a couple of options to test why some Public folders were not showing the word Public in the name.

    I've read through this entire thread, but I have not seen any mention (except 1) about a pretty important issue. Someone (a few pages back) mentioned that the Time Update process is broken regardless of whether using NIST or Windows. I can confirm that.

    But more disconcerting is the fact that, on a clean install of 14971 using an ISO made directly from my own downloaded .ESD (which downloaded when I was running 14965), there are two instances when WU breaks, and breaks hard:


    1. If I try to add .NET 3.x via Turn Windows Features On or Off, I get the following:

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14971 WU Error #0.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	112417

      Going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782 and Using Option 3 does work, after mounting the 14971 .ISO, though (option 2 does not do anything, even setting GP to use WU and forcing th update does not make it works, it still breaks).
    2. If I try to add my LAN-connected printer, a Brother HL5250-DN, via Add Printers --> The printer that I want isn't listed --> My Printer is a little older. Help me find it, it finds my printer, but only offers a small subset of generic Brother drivers. If I then click on Windows Update to download a full set of drivers, it times out with an error.

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14971 WU Error #1.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	112418

      Brother says that the driver is available natively, but only generic drivers are available without WU. I have DLd a package of Drivers released earlier this year, and should have no issues with installing the printer, but previously I was just able to hit WU and get the exact driver without a hitch.


    Does this mean that WU is, in and of itself, broken? Hard to tell. I do know that I haven't seen any Defender updates like I normally saw every day, but it has only been a couple of days since clean install, so I am not sure if that may be a factor. Still monitoring.

    If these errors are contributing factors to why there are no new builds, then I am happy we do not have a new build up yet. These types of errors are critical and need fixing pronto, before another build is released.

    I would pick this build to clean install with....
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    04 Dec 2016 #394
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,524
    Windows 10 Pro

    I'm not having any problems with this build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Dec 2016 #395
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 729
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    Right. But did you clean install using 14971 .ISO?

    I posted that info because I saw @Wynona was planning to clean install due to the whole hdqq issue she was having....

    And did you try to adjust the Time Update settings / force a time update?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    04 Dec 2016 #396
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,928
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    I ... snip

    If these errors are contributing factors to why there are no new builds, then I am happy we do not have a new build up yet. These types of errors are critical and need fixing pronto, before another build is released.

    I would pick this build to clean install with....
    New builds are halted because new Update delivery system. See news by Brink
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Dec 2016 #397
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 729
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    Which could explain why the current build is failing when trying ot connect to WU for driver updates, and why the Time Update is failing as well. Thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    04 Dec 2016 #398
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 729
    WinX Pro x64 IP v14986

    Another issue with 14971: I use KeePass to store all my PWs, keys, and various reg files and such so that I can do clean installs a lot easier. KeePass has a setting where you can enter your master password when opening your PW database(s) on a secure desktop.

    In this build, enabling that feature causes explorer.exe to crash after entering the password, when KeePass loads the database.

    In fact, this was the real reason that I started with the clean installs back during the Thanksgiving holidays in the first place.

    I'm going to set up a couple of VMs to verify it is only on this build, but I already know it was not happening on AU nor on 14965.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    04 Dec 2016 #399
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,573
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post

    <Snip>

    1. If I try to add my LAN-connected printer, a Brother HL5250-DN, via Add Printers --> The printer that I want isn't listed --> My Printer is a little older. Help me find it, it finds my printer, but only offers a small subset of generic Brother drivers. If I then click on Windows Update to download a full set of drivers, it times out with an error.

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14971 WU Error #1.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	112418

      Brother says that the driver is available natively, but only generic drivers are available without WU. I have DLd a package of Drivers released earlier this year, and should have no issues with installing the printer, but previously I was just able to hit WU and get the exact driver without a hitch.


    Does this mean that WU is, in and of itself, broken? Hard to tell. I do know that I haven't seen any Defender updates like I normally saw every day, but it has only been a couple of days since clean install, so I am not sure if that may be a factor. Still monitoring.

    <Snip>
    If you update Windows 10, generally, your printer will retain its settings, but my experience with a clean install is that the printers won't be installed. Mine are MFC-L2705DW and MFC-J6920DW. Since they're wireless, I followed the instructions to connect them to my wireless network. That hasn't needed doing again; no matter what, they stay connected. Now, each time I do a clean install, all I have to do is use the Brother provided software. I usually install the whole package, since I do quite a bit of scanning.

    Since I have all Brother printers, and am familiar with Brother.com, I went looking for your downloads. The following link is for Windows 10 64 Bit, but it looks like you can change the OS with the radio buttons if yours is 32 Bit.

    Downloads | HL-5250DN | United States | Brother

    There's a lot of information there that should help you get things figured out. If you have any questions, post back and I'll see if I can help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Dec 2016 #400
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,524
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Right. But did you clean install using 14971 .ISO?

    I posted that info because I saw @Wynona was planning to clean install due to the whole hdqq issue she was having....

    And did you try to adjust the Time Update settings / force a time update?
    I did the update to this this build. My time/date is correct so no need to force a time update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/39650-announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14257-a.html ;)
Windows Insider
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525 | Blogging Windows How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums