Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 110
    Windows 10 Clean Install
       04 Jun 2015 #61

    Wynona said: View Post
    Sure I can.

    On one computer (probably this desktop), I won't let Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10. I will most likely also use this desktop for the Windows 10 continuing Insider Program.

    Well, Rich, you've started me on the way to figuring out how I'm going to work with Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

    I have three laptops, two of which are dual boot. On Lappy 17, I'll let Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 and keep the Preview as the Insider Program. That's as far as I'll go for now, since I have another 17" (pretty old) laptop and a 15.6" as well.
    Just so I am not misunderstood, you can dual boot, but not with an OS that has been used to upgrade, IMO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       04 Jun 2015 #62

    Windows Sniper said: View Post
    Without the requirement of a license key, that will make activations a lot easier.

    It's not going to try and insert it's own license SLIC into the Motherboard? In which case changing out the Mobo would actually stop this working..
    I have no idea what your talking about? Windows cannot insert a SLIC table into the BIOS, never has never will. The OEM's flash a custom BIOS in at the factory. Also Windows 8 does not use a SLIC table, nor will Windows 10. On OEM motherboards for Windows 8 an actual product code is embedded in the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2014
    Posts : 67
    Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
       04 Jun 2015 #63

    I found this quote within the last couple of hours at MS somewhere. I'm not sure of the implications re the Store.

    "Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup. This key gets saved in the Windows Store, which is one of the benefits of the new delivery system."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,789
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Jun 2015 #64

    richc46 said: View Post
    Just so I am not misunderstood, you can dual boot, but not with an OS that has been used to upgrade, IMO.
    Correct. I am dual booting three of my machines now. All three have a Windows 8.1 partition and a Windows 10 partition. Other than Disk Management, which can see how my disk(s) are arranged, neither OS can see the other. So, if I can dual boot now, I can dual boot after the upgrade (that won't happen on this machine).

    Lappy 17 will remain a dual boot machine, but after the upgrade, I may take the 15.6" laptop back to single boot. The last 17" laptop will remain a single boot machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,789
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Jun 2015 #65

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    I found this quote within the last couple of hours at MS somewhere. I'm not sure of the implications re the Store.

    "Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup. This key gets saved in the Windows Store, which is one of the benefits of the new delivery system."
    Oh great! Just go to the Store and grab a key . . . sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously, that's just weird! I wonder what they're talking about?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    04 Jun 2015 #66

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about? Windows cannot insert a SLIC table into the BIOS, never has never will. The OEM's flash a custom BIOS in at the factory. Also Windows 8 does not use a SLIC table, nor will Windows 10. On OEM motherboards for Windows 8 an actual product code is embedded in the BIOS.
    Sorry SLIC was the wrong term, SLP is what i meant.

    And if this is the case, it is rather simple for the dev team to write an auto flasher for the storage of the key...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       04 Jun 2015 #67

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    I found this quote within the last couple of hours at MS somewhere. I'm not sure of the implications re the Store.

    "Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup. This key gets saved in the Windows Store, which is one of the benefits of the new delivery system."
    I saw that too and wondered if he was confusing the tech previews with the RTM? They could do that, give each PC, that does the free upgrade, an image with the product code embedded in it. I do it now with my install thumb drives by adding a PID.txt file. I don't have to enter any product code during the install. I just have to keep track of what thumb drive is for what PC. I do that by naming the thumb drive with the PC name its used on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       04 Jun 2015 #68

    Windows Sniper said: View Post
    Sorry SLIC was the wrong term, SLP is what i meant.

    And if this is the case, it is rather simple for the dev team to write an auto flasher for the storage of the key...
    Microsoft is never going to flash the BIOS on a PC as part of the install process, or any other process. They are not going to open themselves up to the liability of a failed flash. It's just never going to happen. The BIOS is proprietary to the OEM and they aren't going to give Microsoft permission to alter it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1
       04 Jun 2015 #69

    I believe the idea is get the windows 10 key in exchange for your win 8/8.1/7 key, then after july 29 2016, annually you have to pay for subscription, just like some anti virus program go by annual subscription. Is it simple enough ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,468
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       04 Jun 2015 #70

    ramram55 said: View Post
    I believe the idea is get the windows 10 key in exchange for your win 8/8.1/7 key, then after july 29 2016, annually you have to pay for subscription, just like some anti virus program go by annual subscription. Is it simple enough ?
    Ramram.... The one year deal 7/29/15 - 7/29/16 is to get the UPGRADE free. If you don't opt in for the freebie before 7/29/16, you will have to buy a retail license. Otherwise, it's yours forever and ever, ON THE SAME BOX.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?
I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit...
Installation and Setup
Microsoft lowers app installs from 81 to 10 devices with Windows 10
Read more: Microsoft lowers app installs from 81 to 10 with Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Office OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365
Source...
Windows 10 News
Solved Windows Update Nvidia driver installs unusable.
I have a Quadro K1000M video chip set, WU in 9926 does not install a working driver. The only way to install a working driver is by going to Nvidia and downloading the driver and install from the file. This has happened twice with two versions.
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums